Scott Frost Fired

AUStew87

It's year 5 and he has not won more than 5 games in a season. You almost have to fire him tonight. They had a list of stats about all of the close losses he has had but the one common theme in those stats was a crap ton of losses.

• WarTiger changed the title to Scott Frost Fired
1 hour ago, CoffeeTiger said:

Early "sources" are saying Matt Campbell of Iowa State is the top target and may have some interest.

Other than going to the Big 10, that reeks of a lateral move.

• Facepalm 1

Nebraska isn't going to return to the glory days of Osborne, Devaney and so forth. The days of picking up walkon players from 400 miles around and winning big with them are over. Nebraska is nowhere close to a major talent source. It's a nice place to visit in the warm weather months but there's not much reason to want to be there permanently.

Whoever their next coach is, he'll have a tough time finishing .500.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

If the guy can win(ish) in Ames, he'd be smart to go anywhere else with a tradition and support. 

8 hours ago, Mikey said:

Nebraska isn't going to return to the glory days of Osborne, Devaney and so forth. The days of picking up walkon players from 400 miles around and winning big with them are over. Nebraska is nowhere close to a major talent source. It's a nice place to visit in the warm weather months but there's not much reason to want to be there permanently.

This is true will add no more Prop 48

2 hours ago, WDE_OxPx_2010 said:

If the guy can win(ish) in Ames, he'd be smart to go anywhere else with a tradition and support. 

This isn't the Nebraska of 1995.  Same expectations: less resources.

They fired a coach averaging 9 wins because it wasn't good enough.

• Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, Mikey said:

Yep, the days of redshirting entire classes of linemen are over.

That was some of the reason for their prior success. When you played Nebraska you were playing grown men.

• Like 1

This is what we need (from a Neb forum):

We need to find ways to proliferate physicality on both sides of the ball. 

So how do we catch this lightning in a bottle?  :D

1 minute ago, EagleEye67 said:

This is what we need (from a Neb forum):

We need to find ways to proliferate physicality on both sides of the ball. 

So how do we catch this lightning in a bottle?  :D

Win some games, show some promise and spend some money.

11 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

I don't know. I agree Nebraska will never get back to it's Championship heyday, but the program does have money and the level of fan support even for their bad teams is undeniably impressive. They also play in a pretty weak P5 division as of right now. I personally don't classify Nebraska as a "blue blood" anymore, but I do still think it has decent potential as a program for the right coach. More so than Iowa State IMO. 

As for firing a 9-3 coach, I agree that was a poor decision as far as program continuality is concerned, but from what I understand Bo Pelini was fired for being an a-hole person and fighting with administration and boosters as much as he was for not winning enough, And the 2 coaches they've had after have been given 3 and 4+ seasons respectively, despite neither having any success in any of those years, so I don't think that's too much of an issue. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, EagleEye67 said:

We are pretty good at the spending money part.

Yeah, Nebraska and AU's Athletic departments must have graduated from the same school of financial management. 

Edited by CoffeeTiger
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, CoffeeTiger said:

As for firing a 9-3 coach, I agree that was a poor decision as far as program continuality is concerned, but from what I understand Bo Pelini was fired for being an a-hole person and fighting with administration and boosters as much as he was for not winning enough,

The balance between toughness and presenting a *kindler, gentler* face to the fan base is very difficult. Football is still a grown man’s sport and requires tough men to coach it.  That is primary.  It is, until recently, why Gruden was always on everybody’s list as a coach to replace whoever left.

Bo was entrenched in the tough part and had no *kindler, gentler* in him and is probably why he is not coaching in college right now.  Good luck to Nebraska in their search.

29 minutes ago, CoffeeTiger said:

I don't know. I agree Nebraska will never get back to it's Championship heyday, but the program does have money and the level of fan support even for their bad teams is undeniably impressive. They also play in a pretty weak P5 division as of right now. I personally don't classify Nebraska as a "blue blood" anymore, but I do still think it has decent potential as a program for the right coach. More so than Iowa State IMO. 

As for firing a 9-3 coach, I agree that was a poor decision as far as program continuality is concerned, but from what I understand Bo Pelini was fired for being an a-hole person and fighting with administration and boosters as much as he was for not winning enough, And the 2 coaches they've had after have been given 3 and 4+ seasons respectively, despite neither having any success in any of those years, so I don't think that's too much of an issue. 

The problem Nebraska has is that their advantage is gone.  You need talent to win and Nebraska doesn't attract talent in the modern day game.  They were great about taking a bunch of walk-ons and farm kids, plugging them into a triple option, and winning back in the day.  But in 2022?  That doesn't work.

At best, they're Iowa level now.  I'd hold out for something better if I was Campbell.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

The balance between toughness and presenting a *kindler, gentler* face to the fan base is very difficult. Football is still a grown man’s sport and requires tough men to coach it.  That is primary.  It is, until recently, why Gruden was always on everybody’s list as a coach to replace whoever left.

Bo was entrenched in the tough part and had no *kindler, gentler* in him and is probably why he is not coaching in college right now.  Good luck to Nebraska in their search.

Bo was the type of guy who would rant, scream, and call people names whenever he didn't get his way. That's not being a "tough" man..that's being a man-child who cant control their emotions. 

Pelini probably isn't coaching today cause after Nebraska he went  to Youngstown State and only had 1 season above .500 in 5 years and left the program on probation for dozens of recruiting violations. 

Edited by CoffeeTiger
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, CoffeeTiger said:

Bo was the type of guy who would rant, scream, and call people names whenever he didn't get his way. That's not being a "tough" man..that's being a man-child who cant control their emotions. 

Pelini probably isn't coaching today cause after Nebraska he went  to Youngstown State and only had 1 season above .500 in 5 years and left the program on probation for dozens of recruiting violations. 

Like I said Bo had no *kindler, gentler* in him.  He got results up until he was fired from Nebraska.  The coaching landscape changed and he didn’t recognize or adapt to the change.  He was a tough coach and couldn’t handle the political aspects of being a modern college coach.