Have you ever wondered...

bigbird

Let's try this.  List something that makes you stop and think. Strange, unknown, puzzling, it doesn't matter. If it makes you stop and think ask it.

I wonder if anyone else realizes that this weekend is our 4th time playing Missouri, and each time has been in a different state.

1973 Texas (Sun Bowl)

2013 Georgia (SECCG)

2017 Missouri

2022 Alabama

I also wonder why a major is higher in rank than a lieutenant, but a lieutenant general is higher in rank than a major general.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, SLAG-91 said:

I also wonder why a major is higher in rank than a lieutenant, but a lieutenant general is higher in rank than a major general.

I wonder if that works like Roman numerals. i.e. when I proceeds (i.e. IX) it subtracts? So a Lieutenant General would be less of a full General than a Major General. I just made that up but makes sense to me. Things we wonder about!

1 minute ago, AUSwim said:

I wonder if that works like Roman numerals. i.e. when I proceeds (i.e. IX) it subtracts? So a Lieutenant General would be less of a full General than a Major General. I just made that up but makes sense to me. Things we wonder about!

Indeed...and while we're on Roman numerals, how is it that they didn't account for zero?

7 minutes ago, SLAG-91 said:

Indeed...and while we're on Roman numerals, how is it that they didn't account for zero?

This thread is going to kill me if I don't walk away. I'm the type that has to try to find the answers. Great question on no Roman numeral for zero so this is what the all knowing and all powerful internet says (romannumerals.org). I learned something today, I think I'll go home now.

"the Romans didn’t have a symbol for the number zero (0). Because Roman Numerals System was developed for mostly knowing the price of goods, and to trade. So, there was no need for a symbol to represent zero. Instead of the number zero, the word “nulla” (the Latin word meaning "none") was used by the Romans."

• Thanks 1