AUTigerTime

11 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Better get ready for the in coming....

Gus never had a losing season....

Gus won SEC West....

Gus could recruit....

ETC ETC

All true. 

He was also a great ambassador for Auburn and ran a clean program.

None of that changes anything for either regime.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

All true. 

He was also a great ambassador for Auburn and ran a clean program.

None of that changes anything for either regime.

Thank you. Gus can be appreciated for what he did well and criticized for his shortcomings. 

Same for Harsin. Turns out he didn't do many things well. 

1 minute ago, AuburnEagle79 said:

Same for Harsin. Turns out he didn't do many things well. 

I still believe his vision of where the program needs to be in order to compete is correct. I also think his vision of building a NFLlite recruiting/scouting department is brilliant.  Unfortunately, just like on the field, we are failing to execute the most basic of plays.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, zeroforwinger said:

I think it’s 18 now, and 15ish after the season. I’m ok with waiting until we get an AD in place before canning him. Also I want him to be the one who takes the UGA beating. It’s not fair for Caddy or anyone else to get that whopping. 

My son got a text from a friend that was at the game this saturday.   It said "Ugaly is going to do unspeakable things to us".   

12 hours ago, Mike4AU said:

Of course he will. I cannot imagine any scenario where it would be beneficial for him to agree to settling for a lower amount. I would expect specific performance of the contract. 

Sports = the only realm of life where contracts are this overwhelmingly one-sided and stupid. 

@Didba

Edited by NolaAuTiger
  • Like 1

Just now, NolaAuTiger said:

Sports = the only realm of life where contracts are this overwhelmingly one-sided and stupid. 

That’s what happens when you have unreasonable clients that don’t listen to your advice regarding the contract and insist that you still draft it as they instruct you to. As reminded to me by @Mike4AU

Just now, Didba said:

That’s what happens when you have unreasonable clients that don’t listen to your advice regarding the contract and insist that you still draft it as they instruct you to. As reminded to me by @Mike4AU

It just amazes me. You would never find such outrageous terms in any other line of business.

• Like 1

Just now, NolaAuTiger said:

It just amazes me. You would never find such outrageous terms in any other line of business.

Trust me, it amazes me too. I could draft a better contract with my eyes closed, drunk, and using word on my phone. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Better get ready for the in coming....

Gus never had a losing season....

Gus won SEC West....

Gus could recruit....

ETC ETC

Far & away your most factual post ever. 

Debating Gus’ accomplishments & shortcomings in 2016 to that point vs Harsin’s accomplishments & shortcomings to date…it’s not even close.

Not saying either was AU’s long-term answer. But comparing success each has brought AU? Galaxies apart.

To boot…there is zero guarantee the next guy will accomplish more than Gus, but nearly a lock more than Harsin.

47 minutes ago, Viper said:

Debating Gus’ accomplishments & shortcomings in 2016 to that point vs Harsin’s accomplishments & shortcomings to date…it’s not even close.

Not saying either was AU’s long-term answer. But comparing success each has brought AU? Galaxies apart.

To boot…there is zero guarantee the next guy will accomplish more than Gus, but nearly a lock more than Harsin.

Thanks for that ringing endorsement 

6 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Thanks for that ringing endorsement 

I do what I can. 

Paypal royalties to: iheartharsin@auburn.edu

Edited by Viper
  • Haha 2

I know this will never happen, but I'd love to see ANY Power 5 College/University offer a contract based on winning/accomplishing goals on the field. 

I just threw some numbers together as an example.  There are any number of variations you could include or substitute such as graduation rate, recruiting, clean program, etc. 

Base Salary = $250,000

Win an SEC game at home = $500K per win (assume there are 4 home games per season = $2M)

Win an SEC game away = $1M per win (assume 4 away games = $4M)

SEC Championship = $1M

National Championship = $2M

Buyout if coach leaves for another job or quits = 0.00

Buyout if college/university fires coach = 0.00

Based on this scenario the coach could potentially earn $8.25M.  Wishful thinking, I know.  

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Tmoney56 said:

I just wonder why he is still employed. Auburn will lose money in the long run and that loss will just continue to grow as long as he is employed at Auburn. Fire him today.

I don't think they'd loose less by firing him now vs 3 months from now. It's not like an assistant will be able to win anymore...or less bad.

Obviously he needs to go by the end of the year, but we aren't going to replace him until Jan at the earliest so there's no real point unless you feel like your targeted coach won't be available by then.

We aren't going to make a bowl game, so I think we'll be fine to wait until December. 

• Like 1

I wonder if you could just come out and say that he's not fired, but you're not going to retain him so that you can go ahead and start a coaching search and make an offer for his replacement. 

I think the right thing for AU to do is to not move on Harsin until a permanent AD is named. That would be fair to that AD and the new coach.  I also think that should be done in the next few weeks. 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Viper said:

I think the three “Mikes” from Bama says hello. Change is just change. History tells us if it’s better.

Edited by Hank2020

16 minutes ago, Hank2020 said:

I think the three “Mikes” from Bama says hello. Change is just change. History tells us if it’s better.

Sorry, I don’t see your point with the 3 coaches prior to Saban.

2 minutes ago, Viper said:

Sorry, I don’t see your point with the 3 coaches prior to Saban.

You said nearly a lock, so I gave you examples where those changes did not turn out to be better. Thats all. No lock on anything.

On 9/25/2022 at 4:18 PM, SaltyTiger said:

So that is why Harsin did not celebrate the missed chip shot field goal? Probably cost him 3 million 

Yes.  If you look closely, he and Coach Drink say the same thing at the exact same time.  And it starts with F.  

4 hours ago, Hank2020 said:

You said nearly a lock, so I gave you examples where those changes did not turn out to be better. Thats all. No lock on anything.

We'll never know if Mike Price would have been better than Dubose. Likely not, but he never coached a game, so he's not a factor in the W-L column.

Further, Dubose won a SEC Title. Shula took over a probation-ridden program, 21 scholarships lost, so was pretty safe to have said in 2003 he wasn't going to trump that accomplishment.

If it goes as forseen by the vast majority this season, Harsin's two seasons will end at 9-16, which equals a 0.360 record. There hasn't been a HC at AU in consecutive seasons that has done worse than a 0.360 record since Jordan's first two seasons in 1951/1952 with a 0.350 record.

I feel very secure in saying it's a lock the next AU HC will have a better record than 0.360 after two seasons.

I have 70 years of history & Doug freaking Barfield to lean on.

14 hours ago, AUDevil said:

This will be the first time in about 10 years that the fan base will nearly all be on the same page.  That’s a silver lining.

And that will last just the next 3 months...

...until the next HC is announced. Then...

BATTENSHIELD-Door-Barricade.gif

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, auelvis87 said:

I know this will never happen, but I'd love to see ANY Power 5 College/University offer a contract based on winning/accomplishing goals on the field. 

I just threw some numbers together as an example.  There are any number of variations you could include or substitute such as graduation rate, recruiting, clean program, etc. 

Base Salary = $250,000

Win an SEC game at home = $500K per win (assume there are 4 home games per season = $2M)

Win an SEC game away = $1M per win (assume 4 away games = $4M)

SEC Championship = $1M

National Championship = $2M

Buyout if coach leaves for another job or quits = 0.00

Buyout if college/university fires coach = 0.00

Based on this scenario the coach could potentially earn $8.25M.  Wishful thinking, I know.  

You'd be fired so fast

• Like 1

9 hours ago, AUTigerTime said:

I wonder if you could just come out and say that he's not fired, but you're not going to retain him so that you can go ahead and start a coaching search and make an offer for his replacement. 

Nah, that's probably a breach by AU