If we make a change...

Zeek

5 hours ago, creed said:

If Sanders is not the choice or is not interested it may be he is being groomed or waiting for the other team in this state's job to open up.

Who do you mean Samford because I can assure you that the team in West Alabama would never hire a high school or FCS coach.

• Like 1

SI published their predictable, quasi-informed Pat Forde drivel re Harsin's tenuous coaching situation. Forde actually gets through the entire story without using the phrase "NIL". The BOT "meddling" was a disbelief at Harsin boldly condemning NIL as a new but legal way to attract recruits and KEEP current key players with money via "third parties" (cough, cough). Harsin of course came around (too little too late?) but Forde lives to tweek Auburn and his yellow journalism attack of "the loveliest dysfunctional village" is off base as usual, we (and Forde) now know the BOTs "review" was making sure the coach was kidding about no NIL under his watch. Unfortunately potential new coach candidates may take Fordes partial info at face value.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Zeek said:

Here are the odds according to gambling.com

• Hugh Freeze +100
  • Mark Stoops +150
  • Lane Kiffin +150
  • Deion Sanders +200
  • Jeff Grimes +700
  • Kevin Steele +700
  • Urban Meyer +1000
  • Skip Holtz +1500
  • Jeff Fisher +2500
  • Bob Stoops +3500
  • Bobby Petrino +5000
  • Ed Orgeron +50000

I think Dave Aranda, Will Muschamp, Lance Leipold, Rhett Lashlee, Kane Wommack, Mike Elko, and a few others will all receive at least a cursory glance.

Personally, I think there are a few off this list we can all but eliminate. Including Urban Meyer, Kevin Steele, Skip Holtz, Ed O, Bob Stoops, Bobby Petrino, Jeff Fisher, and Lance Leipold all seem like non-starters for various reasons.

My top 5 candidates to consider would be:

Hugh Freeze, Lane Kiffin, Deion Sanders, Dave Aranda, and Jeff Grimes in no particular order. I can write more about this if anyone is interested in my opinions on the matter. It does seem like it's just a matter of when not "if" Harsin will be fired.

Alot of the same names that were on the list when Gus was fired. Seems like Freeze, Kiffin, Urban, Rhule, etc. are always on the list, no matter what team is looking for a coach.

Remember, NOBODY had Bryan Harsin on any list when we hired him? It was Mario, Kiffin, Freeze, Steele. I think that nobody knows who is on Auburn's short list. Just my opinion.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, TeamZero77 said:

Alot of the same names that were on the list when Gus was fired. Seems like Freeze, Kiffin, Urban, Rhule, etc. are always on the list, no matter what team is looking for a coach.

Remember, NOBODY had Bryan Harsin on any list when we hired him? It was Mario, Kiffin, Freeze, Steele. I think that nobody knows who is on Auburn's short list. Just my opinion.

My only hesitation about Hartwell is fear that he’d hire Blake Anderson or Neal Brown when WVU cans him.

1 hour ago, MaxCohen216 said:

1. Freeze

2. Kiffin

3. Sanders

We need a proven D1 coach, QB developer, and recruiter.  IMHO, of all the above, Freeze is #1.  Unfortunately, character-wise, he also seems to be #2.  Pun intended.

But at some point, everybody deserves a second chance.  I say we give Freeze his second chance.  I think he would make the most of it.

Hugh Freeze HAD his second chance - at Liberty. He sleazed it up:
https://thecomeback.com/ncaa/hugh-freeze-liberty-dm-sexual-assault.html

He should be a non-starter.

• Like 1

So our first hopes should be Kiffin, Prime and Grimes. If they say no, who should our backups be, if we feel Freeze is a nonstarter? If we get the AD it looks like we will, hopefully he doesn’t rely on his personal connections.

Edited by AUwent

2 hours ago, e808 said:

What exactly is a pro style offense. If u look around the NFL some teams have a lot of RPO /zone read installed into their offense. Pretty much every team uses the concept in some way or form. The quarterbacks are way more mobile. My point is I don’t under the term gimmick because the pros are using the concepts but being more creative with it based on their personnel. 

It's somethings idiots on this board say to feel like they have more football IQ than they actually do.

Or very old people, like the types that called the I formation a gimmick cause it wasn't what they were used to.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Brad_ATX said:

1) Not everyone deserves a 2nd chance.

2) Why should Auburn be that guinea pig?  He hasn't done especially impressive, unless you consider 8-5 last year with an NFL QB impressive.

Of the 3 coaches I mentioned, he's the only one who has done well at D1 coaching, QB development, and recruiting.  The knock on Kiffin is recruiting.

I agree it's debatable whether or not Freeze deserves a chance at Auburn.  I had no idea until a few minutes ago that he has shown questionable character at Liberty, although I don't know the extent.

1 hour ago, tsande07 said:

Hugh Freeze HAD his second chance - at Liberty. He sleazed it up:
https://thecomeback.com/ncaa/hugh-freeze-liberty-dm-sexual-assault.html

He should be a non-starter.

Just now hearing about this...seems like he didn't learn his lesson.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MaxCohen216 said:

Of the 3 coaches I mentioned, he's the only one who has done well at D1 coaching, QB development, and recruiting.  The knock on Kiffin is recruiting.

I agree it's debatable whether or not Freeze deserves a chance at Auburn.  I had no idea until a few minutes ago that he has shown questionable character at Liberty, although I don't know the extent.

Hugh private messaged a sexual assualt victim who called out leadership at Liberty for sweeping the incident under the rug and attempted to defend said leadership.

The dude is beyond being a scumbag.  He's the kind of person you don't want anywhere near people you care about.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

Do y'all realize how bad JSU was before Deion got there?  He's far from Trooper.

And JSU is far from an SEC team.

Why should Auburn be that guinea pig?

1 hour ago, AUwent said:

So our first hopes should be Kiffin, Prime and Grimes. If they say no, who should our backups be, if we feel Freeze is a nonstarter? If we get the AD it looks like we will, hopefully he doesn’t rely on his personal connections.

On 9/29/2022 at 6:08 AM, bigbird said:

Had hand surgery yesterday so not gonna be typing much for a bit.  I linked their profiles. They're not in any particular order.

Traylor  

Lebby

Longo 

Klieman  

Elko 

Gattis

Take the time to read the profiles.  All are proven winners and would be worth a call 

Give some of these options from the "Candidates no one's talking about" thread a call, I assume.

43 minutes ago, MaxCohen216 said:

Also, keep in mind that his recruiting prowess at Ole Miss was built on cheating. He has no other record of recruiting in the SEC to point to, so there is no reason to believe that he would be a superior recruiter in the current (e.g. NIL) environment. 

• Like 1

FTFY

Yeah I would have those two ahead of Kiffin JUST because I'm unsure of Kiff's recruiting abilities.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Zeek said:

• Hugh Freeze +100
  • Mark Stoops +150
  • Lane Kiffin +150
  • Deion Sanders +200
  • Jeff Grimes +700
  • Kevin Steele +700
  • Urban Meyer +1000
  • Skip Holtz +1500
  • Jeff Fisher +2500
  • Bob Stoops +3500
  • Bobby Petrino +5000
  • Ed Orgeron +50000

I think Dave Aranda, Will Muschamp, Lance Leipold, Rhett Lashlee, Kane Wommack, Mike Elko, and a few others will all receive at least a cursory glance.

Personally, I think there are a few off this list we can all but eliminate. Including Urban Meyer, Kevin Steele, Skip Holtz, Ed O, Bob Stoops, Bobby Petrino, Jeff Fisher, and Lance Leipold all seem like non-starters for various reasons.

Hugh Freeze, Lane Kiffin, Deion Sanders, Dave Aranda, and Jeff Grimes in no particular order. I can write more about this if anyone is interested in my opinions on the matter. It does seem like it's just a matter of when not "if" Harsin will be fired.

Do you really believe that Auburn would ever hire Hugh Freeze? 

So, it didn't look like it preseason but there's going to be a LOT of teams looking for coaches.

Nebraska, Arizona State, Georgia Tech, Arizona State, Wisconsin, Colorado, probably West Virginia.

I would fully expect Colorado to go after Grimes, but again, if Aranda takes the Nebraska job I am almost certain he'll accept the promotion at Baylor.

TIFWIW, but...

Edited by AUwent

10 hours ago, Zeek said:

• Hugh Freeze +100
  • Mark Stoops +150
  • Lane Kiffin +150
  • Deion Sanders +200
  • Jeff Grimes +700
  • Kevin Steele +700
  • Urban Meyer +1000
  • Skip Holtz +1500
  • Jeff Fisher +2500
  • Bob Stoops +3500
  • Bobby Petrino +5000
  • Ed Orgeron +50000

I refuse to accept anyone until Urban tells us no 17-37 times.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Dislike 2

11 minutes ago, AUwent said:

So, it didn't look like it preseason but there's going to be a LOT of teams looking for coaches.

Nebraska, Arizona State, Georgia Tech, Arizona State, Wisconsin, Colorado, probably West Virginia.

I would fully expect Colorado to go after Grimes, but again, if Aranda takes the Nebraska job I am almost certain he'll accept the promotion at Baylor.

TIFWIW, but...

Grimes has family just up the road from Baylor apparently.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, GwillMac6 said:

I refuse to accept anyone until Urban tells us no 17-37 times.

I would rather Urban never coach another snap of football in his life.

• Like 6
  • Dislike 1

14 minutes ago, provibe said:

Do you really believe that Auburn would ever hire Hugh Freeze? 

Yes I think he's the lead candidate right now if we were betting.