Matt Rhule should be #1 on our List

AUinMS9528

Anyway…

Rhule is as good as anyone at evaluating and developing talent.  
His practices are the gold standard for getting teams ready to play.  
His game plans are excellent.  
He is a winner.   He has proven that by the complete turnarounds at Temple and Baylor.   
Many of the top coaches have a tremendous amount of respect for him.  
The players at Carolina were very sad to see him go.  

He checks all the boxes.   Let’s call him now!

• Like 3

I like Rhule ad a candidate. I heard from an I don't know how reliable source, that we are looking at Cincinnati's Coach. Luke Fickell.

Edited by ArgoEagle

8 minutes ago, AUinMS9528 said:

Anyway…

Rhule is as good as anyone at evaluating and developing talent.  
His practices are the gold standard for getting teams ready to play.  
His game plans are excellent.  
He is a winner.   He has proven that by the complete turnarounds at Temple and Baylor.   
Many of the top coaches have a tremendous amount of respect for him.  
The players at Carolina were very sad to see him go.  

He checks all the boxes.   Let’s call him now!

What i read in the article was that at Temple/Baylor he recruited lower started players with intention of “coaching them up”.

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, Hank2020 said:

What i read in the article was that at Temple/Baylor he recruited lower started players with intention of “coaching them up”.

^^^This process/approach seemed to be a complete and total disaster with our current football coaching staff

• Like 3

I read somewhere that Rhule was 0-11 against ranked opponents while at Baylor so who knows.  He had back to back winning seasons there before he bolted for the NFL.  Maybe a little prematurely, idk.

24 minutes ago, ArgoEagle said:

I heard from an I don't know how reliable source, that we are looking at Cincinnati's Coach. Luke Fickell.

He was contacted 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, bigbird said:

He was contacted 

Considering that he grew up, and has spent his entire coaching career in the state of Ohio, he might be quite happy there.

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, Hank2020 said:

It was Temple and Baylor. Gotta be tough to recruit 5 star talent their for football.

• Like 2

Maybe the Big12 was that bad, but I'd think you'd have to at least beat 1 ranked team to get to the Sugar Bowl 🤷‍♂️. I'll let someone else do the wiki searching.

I think the bigger issue from his history is his first years at Temple and Baylor were 2-10 and 1-11.....though he always progressed to the positive with these historically bad schools. But there is no way any AU PTB's would be able to handle even a 4-8 first year with a new coach. Heads would roll, people would decry the hire.....AU expects big things right out of the gate, it will be hard to let anyone "re-build" by the PTB....IMHO

Society (compounded by comparison and $$) needs all things NOW.....including a championship college football team.

Edited by hikerdns

The thing that Harsin has done is assure the fans know how much of a rebuild this job is right now.  Hopefully that means the fans develop the necessary patience.

• Like 6
  • Facepalm 1

10 minutes ago, hikerdns said:

Maybe the Big12 was that bad, but I'd think you'd have to at least beat 1 ranked team to get to the Sugar Bowl 🤷‍♂️. I'll let someone else to the wiki searching.

I think the bigger issue from his history is his first years at Temple and Baylor were 2-10 and 1-11.....though he always progressed to the positive with these historically bad schools. But there is no way any AU PTB's would be able to handle even a 4-8 first year with a new coach. Heads would roll, people would decry the hire.....AU expects big things right out of the gate, it will be hard to let anyone "read build" by the PTB....IMHO

Society (compounded by comparison and $$) needs all things NOW.....including a competitive college football team.

I would think Auburn collectively would want to be bowl-eligible and competent in most games (maybe all but 2 or 3; "competent" meaning completing passes, having decent runs, scoring more than 3 points in a half, limited/no turnovers, minimal penalties, etc.) being the initial bar for success. I don't think any Auburn people are expecting to be 9-3 or better in the new coach's first season. But what we've got now is not scoring *at all* in second halves of games, fumbling/turning over the ball every other series, completely undisciplined play, etc. <<< That can't happen. We ought to be soundly playing the fundamentals of football, we're not doing that now. 

We also shouldn't be last in the SEC recruiting rankings, and we should be able to have all scholarships/25 roster spots filled by the end of recruiting. Not getting a single recruit on signing day? That's bad, fireable offense bad. I'd actually put not signing a single recruit on signing day in our clause for fireable offense, unless we fill all our roster spots by early national signing day.

Edited by AUINSY

27 minutes ago, PoetTiger said:

It was Temple and Baylor. Gotta be tough to recruit 5 star talent their for football.

True, might not would use same approach here.

1 hour ago, AUinMS9528 said:

in todays auburn articles i just posted a 15 or so minute on matt rhule and hoping he comes to auburn. it was posted online about five hours ago.....or close.

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, AUINSY said:

I would think Auburn collectively would want to be bowl-eligible and competent in most games (maybe all but 2 or 3; "competent" meaning completing passes, having decent runs, scoring more than 3 points in a half, limited/no turnovers, minimal penalties, etc.) being the initial bar for success. I don't think any Auburn people are expecting to be 9-3 or better in the new coach's first season. But what we've got now is not scoring *at all* in second halves of games, fumbling/turning over the ball every other series, completely undisciplined play, etc. <<< That can't happen. We ought to be soundly playing the fundamentals of football, we're not doing that now. 

We also shouldn't be last in the SEC recruiting rankings, and we should be able to have all scholarships/25 roster spots filled by the end of recruiting. Not getting a single recruit on signing day? That's bad, fireable offense bad. I'd actually put not signing a single recruit on signing day in our clause for fireable offense, unless we fill all our roster spots by early national signing day.

Oh sure, I don’t disagree. But it seems like it takes a little while to even get those basics instilled and recruiting back up. I’m just of the opinion that we’re in for a few years in the doldrums of bad seasons and AU ptb’s (and fans for that matter) don’t handle those well. Which complicates any long term success one would hope for. 

15 minutes ago, Hank2020 said:

True, might not would use same approach here.

Exactly.   He recruited very well (for their standards) at Temple and Baylor, but in addition to recruiting well, he also evaluated and developed talent extremely well.   
I don’t think he would settle for a dozen or so 3 stars and a handful of injured transfers at AU.   Our standards are higher than that.   I also agree with @bigbird that we should exercise patience, but at the same time, I don’t think it takes as long to rebuild AU in our current environment.   Where 25 TF and JC transfers used to be the max, now we could potentially bring in as many as 40-50 new players through recruiting and the portal.   Now those players need time to develop and gel, as well as buy-in and learn the new system, so a 1 year turn around still shouldn’t be a realistic expectation.   But a year or two sooner than normal is realistic IMHO.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, hikerdns said:

Oh sure, I don’t disagree. But it seems like it takes a little while to even get those basics instilled and recruiting back up. I’m just of the opinion that we’re in for a few years in the doldrums of bad seasons and AU ptb’s (and fans for that matter) don’t handle those well. Which complicates any long term success one would hope for. 

Perhaps. Tennessee has proven that you can have significant turnaround in 2 seasons (link to that thread below) after more than a decade in the doldrums, and this shows that you cannot only do the basics well and right, but you can be a top 10, undefeated team if you get the right people in the right places. That doesn't mean necessarily that we as Auburn faithful should expect that same outcome, but it's possible. Shoot, even at this point being 6-6 in season 1 and bowl eligible, and being 7-5 the next season, winning a bowl game, and having a solid recruiting class is more than possible, and should be expected. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

He was contacted 

Yeah but that sounds like another Harsin situation, maybe I'm wrong but it just gives me the same vibes. 🤷

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

The thing that Harsin has done is assure the fans know how much of a rebuild this job is right now.  Hopefully that means the fans develop the necessary patience.

Auburn fans and PATIENCE in the same sentence?! 😅 I've seen it all

• Haha 1

I don't think they'll fire him until the absolute number 1 candidate on their list has given them the Green light.  Soon as that happens, he gone.  I'm patient for development of players.  Not so much for poor GameDay coaching and for FS if I hear him throw the players under the bus again.  

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Agree Ruhle would be a a good canadiate as would Bienemy and Leftwhich.  At least they are legimate college coaches unlike Deion.  Ruhle should change his recruiting strategy a little bit if he comes to the SEC.  He should go after the 4&5 stars that Bama & UGa go after and keep our recruiting classes close to Bama and UGA.  Then use that strategy he used at Baylor and Temple to ensure our recruiting classes out perform on the field.