Jeff Grimes offense

gr82b4au

His looks like what Harsin’s offense was supposed to be. A lot of different looks with some nice run/pass balance. I know people don’t want him because they feel like it’s a JABA hire. It’s really not. Grimes fields good offenses and builds good offensive lines. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 2

50 minutes ago, ScotsAU said:

His looks like what Harsin’s offense was supposed to be. A lot of different looks with some nice run/pass balance. I know people don’t want him because they feel like it’s a JABA hire. It’s really not. Grimes fields good offenses and builds good offensive lines. 

Reminder that he’s playing against Kansas and Big 12 opponents in general. They struggled to score points against Oklahoma State and BYU. Offense looks good against weaker opponents but below average against actual teams. That sounds very familiar…

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I heard some people making excuses for the Baylor offense this year, but they look good!  I glanced over some stats and they’ve been pretty good all year.  New QB, TF RB, etc.   Still doing well.   The defense has been the biggest reason for their record.   

Side note:   I must point out that how well Baylor’s offense is doing is NOT the biggest factor in determining how well Grimes would do as a HC.   HC is a different skill set.   

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Auburnguy101 said:

They struggled to score points against Oklahoma State and BYU.

Baylor scored 20 and 25 points in those 2 games, which is their worst production of the season.   That’s not bad.  I would take that.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, AUinMS9528 said:

Baylor scored 20 and 25 points in those 2 games, which is their worst production of the season.   That’s not bad.  I would take that.  

Against BYU and Oklahoma State, two defenses that are atrocious. Again, stats can be deceiving. When you look at how his offenses play against an actual defense, they are below average, just like how Gus’ offenses would perform. Again, there’s nothing special that he does. Central Michigan scored over 40 points yet Baylor barely got over 20 points because of a worthless score at the end…

Edited by Auburnguy101
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Auburnguy101 said:

Reminder that he’s playing against Kansas and Big 12 opponents in general. They struggled to score points against Oklahoma State and BYU. Offense looks good against weaker opponents but below average against actual teams. That sounds very familiar…

He basically had to replace all his skill players from last year so there's going to be some ups and downs.  Drive killing turnovers got them vs Okie State.  They actually outgained OSU 457 yds to 379.  And Iowa State and West Virginia have better defenses that OSU or BYU (ISU has the 12th ranked defense in the country), but they played very well in those games.

Similarly, last year they played quite well against good defenses, scoring 31 pts vs Iowa St (9th ranked defense), 45 vs West Va. (37th ranked defense), beating Oklahoma St in the Big XII title game and Ole Miss in the Sugar Bowl after losing their starting QB to injury.

I don't think you can just write off all his success as being against bad teams.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

He basically had to replace all his skill players from last year so there's going to be some ups and downs.  Drive killing turnovers got them vs Okie State.  They actually outgained OSU 457 yds to 379.  And Iowa State and West Virginia have better defenses that OSU or BYU (ISU has the 12th ranked defense in the country), but they played very well in those games.

Similarly, last year they played quite well against good defenses, scoring 31 pts vs Iowa St (9th ranked defense), 45 vs West Va. (37th ranked defense), beating Oklahoma St in the Big XII title game and Ole Miss in the Sugar Bowl after losing their starting QB to injury.

I don't think you can just write off all his success as being against bad teams.

It’s his pattern. When he has a team that has more talent, they look great. When he doesn’t, they look below average. In my opinion, and I’ll say this again, it’s my opinion, there’s nothing special that he brings to the table. Do you honestly believe Jeff Grimes, a guy who has never been a head coach anywhere in 30+ plus years of coaching, will be able to compete and recruit against UAT and UGA? To me, that’s more far fetched than people questioning Deion Sanders. But again, it’s my opinion. I understand many people on here love Grimes and he will more than likely get the job because he’s a comfortable hire…

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Facepalm 7

26 minutes ago, Auburnguy101 said:

Against BYU and Oklahoma State, two defenses that are atrocious. Again, stats can be deceiving. When you look at how his offenses play against an actual defense, they are below average, just like how Gus’ offenses would perform. Again, there’s nothing special that he does. Central Michigan scored over 40 points yet Baylor barely got over 20 points because of a worthless score at the end…

Other than Georgia it’s not like SEC defenses are THAT good anymore. The SEC is the best conference but sometimes y’all overrate these teams. Anybody can be scored on, Grimes’ offenses can generate points

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Sizzle said:

Other than Georgia it’s not like SEC defenses are THAT good anymore. The SEC is the best conference but sometimes y’all overrate these teams. Anybody can be scored on, Grimes’ offenses can generate points

Again, would anyone really care or even know him if he didn’t coach at Auburn 10 years ago? Also, the caliber of athletes on defense in the SEC and most other teams in other conferences is night and day. I get it, people love him. I’ll preface it again, IN MY OPINION, he seems like the typical Auburn hire that will get us to 7-9 wins a year , nothing more and nothing less. Maybe as an alum and fan, I’m tired of the status quo. Also, I see how college football is changing and Auburn needs someone to bring excitement and hope and unite the fan base again, kind of how like Pearl did and there’s only one coach to me that can…

• Like 3
  • Love 1
  • Facepalm 2

30 minutes ago, Auburnguy101 said:

Most people say UT has the best offense in the country, yet they only scored 27 against a mediocre at best Pitt defense in regulation.    Bama’s 5 star upon 5 star defense only scored 20 against Texas and 24 against A&M.    Anybody can find some stat somewhere to prop up their argument. And as far as not having as much production against better defenses????   That’s true of every single offense in the history of football at every level from Pee Wee to the NFL!!!!!   So please don’t use that argument any more.   
All I’m saying is that Baylor’s offense is pretty good considering all the new parts this year.  

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, AUinMS9528 said:

Most people say UT has the best offense in the country, yet they only scored 27 against a mediocre at best Pitt defense in regulation.    Bama’s 5 star upon 5 star defense only scored 20 against Texas and 24 against A&M.    Anybody can find some stat somewhere to prop up their argument. And as far as not having as much production against better defenses????   That’s true of every single offense in the history of football at every level from Pee Wee to the NFL!!!!!   So please don’t use that argument any more.   
All I’m saying is that Baylor’s offense is pretty good considering all the new parts this year.  

Like I said, there’s a pattern with Grimes’ offenses. Let’s just agree too disagree. You and others are in no way ever going to convince me that Grimes is this special coach and I’m not going to change your mind or others. Don’t worry, Auburn will hire him and then we’ll see what happens…

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ScotsAU said:

People don’t want him because there are better options out there. Several. If they all say no , then grimes is more than welcome to bring his Baylor offense to the plains.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, DAG said:

People don’t want him because there are better options out there. Several. If they all say no , then grimes is more than welcome to bring his Baylor offense to the plains.

Exactly. A Grimes hire literally tells me, “ehh, we don’t think we can get anybody of significance so let’s just hire someone we know and we’re comfortable with”. It’s just a lazy hire to me. But again, it’s what Auburn does so I honestly expect nothing different this time…

Edited by Auburnguy101
  • Like 1
  • Facepalm 4

1 minute ago, Auburnguy101 said:

Exactly. A Grimes hire literally tells me, “ehh, we don’t think we can get anybody of significance so let’s just hire someone we know and we’re comfortable with”. It’s just a lazy hire to me. But again, it’s what Auburn does so I honestly expect nothing different this time…

I am not saying Grimes is a bad hire. But this idea that we just don’t want to hire him because of JABA is false. The truth of the matter is there are other candidates who we should get first . If and only , if they say no, that would open up the door for Grimes. He is not going anywhere,

if the other candidates say no. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, DAG said:

I am not saying Grimes is a bad hire. But this idea that we just don’t want to hire him because of JABA is false. The truth of the matter is there are other candidates who we should get first . If and only , if they say no, that would open up the door for Grimes. He is not going anywhere,

if the other candidates say no. 

I agree. To me, he’s an option if my first 5-6 candidates say no. I agree with you. He’s not going anywhere. Make this search look like we’re actually trying to progress and get better instead of the usual lazy Auburn hire…

23 minutes ago, Auburnguy101 said:

Like I said, there’s a pattern with Grimes’ offenses. Let’s just agree too disagree. You and others are in no way ever going to convince me that Grimes is this special coach and I’m not going to change your mind or others. Don’t worry, Auburn will hire him and then we’ll see what happens…

I think you’re right.   AU will probably hire Grimes.   I am not convinced he will be a great HC, but I think he does have potential.   I wouldn’t be upset with that move.   There are candidates out there with a much more impressive resume.  We’ll see how everything plays out.   All we can do is hope for the best.   Like when Clemson hired Dabo there were much better resumes out there.   It worked out ok for them.   🤞🤞🤞

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, AUinMS9528 said:

I think you’re right.   AU will probably hire Grimes.   I am not convinced he will be a great HC, but I think he does have potential.   I wouldn’t be upset with that move.   There are candidates out there with a much more impressive resume.  We’ll see how everything plays out.   All we can do is hope for the best.   Like when Clemson hired Dabo there were much better resumes out there.   It worked out ok for them.   🤞🤞🤞

After being an Auburn fan for 30+ years, anyone but a Grimes like hire would be a shocker to me. And for Dabo: he was in the perfect situation where literally the only program he had to compete against was FSU. If he was in the SEC he would’ve been fired by year 4. I still think he’s an overrated coach who has benefited from playing in a weak conference. I know he has beaten UAT but it’s easier to get up for 2-3 games a year than about 6-7 games a year like that of an SEC schedule. But getting back to Auburn, yea, I don’t really have any expectations for the coaching hire, kind of numb to it now haha…

Grimes is certainly better than who we have now.  He will bring us back to respectability.  However, can he compete with Alabama and Georgia?  That is what it will take to be elite.

Looking at what he is doing on the field and, in recruiting,,,

17 minutes ago, AUinMS9528 said:

Correct and he will have a learning curve as well too. I don’t care how many other people try to argue otherwise. We will have to be patient with him.

9 minutes ago, icanthearyou said:

Grimes is certainly better than who we have now.  He will bring us back to respectability.  However, can he compete with Alabama and Georgia?  That is what it will take to be elite.

Looking at what he is doing on the field and, in recruiting,,,

My staffordshire terrier is better than what we have now so that’s not saying much 

• Haha 1

It’s his pattern.

Not really, as I pointed out against other teams.

When he has a team that has more talent, they look great. When he doesn’t, they look below average.

It's not that often that Baylor has much more talent than the teams they're playing.  They're just not on that level as a program and never will be.  And even in the games you point out that they "struggled" they scored 25 and 20 points.  I'd love for Auburn's "struggle" games to have us scoring in the 20s with a chance to win in the 4th quarter vs more talented opponents.  

In my opinion, and I’ll say this again, it’s my opinion, there’s nothing special that he brings to the table. Do you honestly believe Jeff Grimes, a guy who has never been a head coach anywhere in 30+ plus years of coaching, will be able to compete and recruit against UAT and UGA? To me, that’s more far fetched than people questioning Deion Sanders. But again, it’s my opinion. I understand many people on here love Grimes and he will more than likely get the job because he’s a comfortable hire…

I think when you take two offenses over who were mired in the 110s in total offense and close to that in scoring offense, and immediately jump them 60+ spots, and take one to top 3, including helping develop a 3-star QB out of HS to the #3 pick in the draft (and current NFL starter), and moving the other one up another 20 spots in the rankings after losing almost all his skill position guys, that's something special.  I think when you add that he's an offensive line coach by trade (a place we've struggled for a decade), and that he has 8 years of coaching and recruiting at upper tier SEC schools and in the southeast, that's something special he brings to the table.

You don't have to have him as your top couple of guys, but the dismissal isn't warranted.

• Like 3
  • Love 2

6 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

Not really, as I pointed out against other teams.

It's not that often that Baylor has much more talent than the teams they're playing.  They're just not on that level as a program and never will be.  And even in the games you point out that they "struggled" they scored 25 and 20 points.  I'd love for Auburn's "struggle" games to have us scoring in the 20s with a chance to win in the 4th quarter vs more talented opponents.  

I think when you take two offenses over who were mired in the 110s in total offense and close to that in scoring offense, and immediately jump them 60+ spots, and take one to top 3, including helping develop a 3-star QB out of HS to the #3 pick in the draft (and current NFL starter), and moving the other one up another 20 spots in the rankings after losing almost all his skill position guys, that's something special.  I think when you add that he's an offensive line coach by trade (a place we've struggled for a decade), and that he has 8 years of coaching and recruiting at upper tier SEC schools and in the southeast, that's something special he brings to the table.

You don't have to have him as your top couple of guys, but the dismissal isn't warranted.

Again, as I’ve said in other threads, I just don’t see anything special and you could replace Grimes’ name with Gus when he was in Tulsa then Auburn and it just seems like I’ve seen this movie before. We’ll agree to disagree…

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 2

Just now, Auburnguy101 said:

Again, as I’ve said in other threads, I just don’t see anything special and you could replace Grimes’ name with Gus when he was in Tulsa then Auburn and it just seems like I’ve seen this movie before. We’ll agree to disagree…

I think your analysis is rather surface level and doesn't stand up to scrutiny, but ok.

• Like 2