Jeff Grimes offense

gr82b4au

I am not a Freeze fan and am not in favor of AU hiring him for several reasons but for the sake of transparency and correctness, I believe his most recent tweet is being mischaracterized. He simply responded to a tweet indicating support for his present boss at Liberty. It still shows lack of judgement on his part IMO , but should not be characterized as “sexual harassment “(also just my opinion).

Edited by Hank2020
  • Like 3

16 minutes ago, Hank2020 said:

I am not a Freeze fan and am not in favor of AU hiring him for several reasons but for the sake of transparency and correctness, I believe his most recent tweet is being mischaracterized. He simply responded to a tweet indicating support for his present boss at Liberty. It still shows lack of judgement on his part IMO , but should not be characterized as “sexual harassment “.

I agree that it is quite possible that this was only a show of support for his friend and boss.  But since it was so lame-brained and inappropriate, it put the university in a bad spot and shows me that he’s not fit to represent our school and run our football program.  Other past indiscretions aside, but not forgotten.  

• Like 1

Kiffin is a serious candidate. Just fyi. 

Edited by Didba
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, DAG said:

Correct and he will have a learning curve as well too. I don’t care how many other people try to argue otherwise. We will have to be patient with him.

Eh, we'll have to be patient with whoever we'll hire.  It's going to take until at least year 3 of a new coach to have enough talent accumulated through HS and portal classes for us to be truly competitive again.

2 minutes ago, dyehardfanAU said:

Eh, we'll have to be patient with whoever we'll hire.  It's going to take until at least year 3 of a new coach to have enough talent accumulated through HS and portal classes for us to be truly competitive again.

I don't agree with that. I guess we will see.

• Like 1

I am curious on how accurate the college mobs are in regards to actual candidate placement vs. assumptions/desires. I agree, there are some good candidates out there who often fly under the radar of the myopic media and fanbases. I remember chatting with some of my UT friends when Heupel was hired and the fanbase was about to burn the place down because he wasn't flashy, but he seems to be working out there. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, AU_Canoe said:

I am curious on how accurate the college mobs are in regards to actual candidate placement vs. assumptions/desires. I agree, there are some good candidates out there who often fly under the radar of the myopic media and fanbases. I remember chatting with some of my UT friends when Heupel was hired and the fanbase was about to burn the place down because he wasn't flashy, but he seems to be working out there. 

I remember over on the Tennessee message boards, they were convinced that the final 3 coaching candidates were Hugh Freeze, Lane Kiffin and James Franklin. When Josh Heupel was named coach, that fanbase was ready to burn Neyland Stadium down. 

The funny thing is all the previous coaching searches, they 100% were convinced Jon Gruden was taking the Tennessee job due to his wife being an alum there. 

When they hired Jeremy Pruitt, the fanbase was VERY excited. They kept talking about how Pruitt was a defensive genius and was mentored by Saban and Jimbo and he had been a part of national title teams. Then they were thinking that Alabama would hire Pruitt down the road to replace Saban and Pruitt might choose to go back home to Alabama rather than stay at Tennesse. 

So for the record, Vols fans loved the Jeremy Pruitt hire and absolutely hated the Josh Heupel hire. 

It just proves that a big name coach isn't an absolute win. It's all about the right fit and the right staff. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Mikey said:

Your big thing is to run down anybody who appears to be in competition with Sanders for the AU job. We get that you prefer Sanders. (Boy, do we ever get it) But believe it or not, there are other viable options out there. I wouldn't hate a Sanders hire but he's not at the top of my list. Your disparaging any candidate other than the Neon guy doesn't strengthen your case.

The only disagreement I have with this post is that he's at the top of mine.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, bigbird said:

For which school?

I’m not disagreeing with you guys about Hartwell/Grimes, but Kiffin was a serious candidate with his name tossed around a week or 2 ago.  I’m still not hearing that Grimes has the green light yet, but you guys have solid info so I definitely defer to you all here.   

16 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Bird, do u prescribe to the theory that the longer the AD search drags on, the more likely it will be McGlynn?

No, not at all. He's been told it won't be him 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, bigbird said:

For which school?

This might be old news I have been out of pocket all weekend

3 hours ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Bird, do u prescribe to the theory that the longer the AD search drags on, the more likely it will be McGlynn?

McGlynn will not be the AD.

2 hours ago, Didba said:

This might be old news I have been out of pocket all weekend

I was just giving you a hard time.  Lane will always be a name that comes up with every coaching search. He's too good offensively not to be.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, bigbird said:

I was just giving you a hard time.  Lane will always be a name that comes up with every coaching search. He's too good offensively not to be.

His defenses will impose a ceiling on his potential unless something radically changes.

• Like 4

I am not excited about Grime's Offense.  I watched the game this weekend and it just didn't seem that good.  I watched too much football this weekend.  I don't think Grimes would be a great hire.  I also am not really excited about Freeze either.  Dion would be a flash and I like what he does with his players but watching his O also didn't put a warm fuzzy.  Their D schemes seemed ok but I think all of this is a big gamble.  We need recruits and some decent schemes and I think we will be fine. 

8 minutes ago, AU_Tiger_88 said:

I am not excited about Grime's Offense.  I watched the game this weekend and it just didn't seem that good.  I watched too much football this weekend.  I don't think Grimes would be a great hire.  I also am not really excited about Freeze either.  Dion would be a flash and I like what he does with his players but watching his O also didn't put a warm fuzzy.  Their D schemes seemed ok but I think all of this is a big gamble.  We need recruits and some decent schemes and I think we will be fine. 

So who do u want us to hire?

32 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

So who do u want us to hire?

To me Jeff isn't it.  I don't believe he will be ready for a jump from OC to HBC (Head Ball Coach).  I would like to see up pick someone who has program experience.  There are a ton of them out there.  From Kalen DeBoer, Curt Cignetti, Chris Klieman, or even Lance Leipold.  Heck if you like Freeze but want less baggage maybe look at Shawn Clark.  I mean Dion has HBC experience and is a flash promoter.  I think they need to be looked at interviewed and see if they would be a cultural fit.  We pay more or equivalent to what they are making now.  Each coach I mentioned has a better winning % than Freeze, Gus, Harsin or even Gundy.  Some have only a few years as a HBC but they are doing ok.  I want a guy who will have a decent offense that can score, kill the clock when needed and not turn it over along with a Defense that will shut down opponents when needed.  I also want a program that develops players and rotates them in so we don't have every couple of years a rebuild because we either didn't recruit or didn't get the players experience.  Consistency will get us in the playoffs and be a challenge each year.  Some years will be great and some we will just miss.  I don't think Kiffin is a fit as he doesn't seem to care about D and may have some off the field issues

29 minutes ago, AU_Tiger_88 said:

To me Jeff isn't it.  I don't believe he will be ready for a jump from OC to HBC (Head Ball Coach).  I would like to see up pick someone who has program experience.  There are a ton of them out there.  From Kalen DeBoer, Curt Cignetti, Chris Klieman, or even Lance Leipold.  Heck if you like Freeze but want less baggage maybe look at Shawn Clark.  I mean Dion has HBC experience and is a flash promoter.  I think they need to be looked at interviewed and see if they would be a cultural fit.  We pay more or equivalent to what they are making now.  Each coach I mentioned has a better winning % than Freeze, Gus, Harsin or even Gundy.  Some have only a few years as a HBC but they are doing ok.  I want a guy who will have a decent offense that can score, kill the clock when needed and not turn it over along with a Defense that will shut down opponents when needed.  I also want a program that develops players and rotates them in so we don't have every couple of years a rebuild because we either didn't recruit or didn't get the players experience.  Consistency will get us in the playoffs and be a challenge each year.  Some years will be great and some we will just miss.  I don't think Kiffin is a fit as he doesn't seem to care about D and may have some off the field issues

I don't think they're stupid enough to hire another guy from the PNW with zero ties to the South.

What are his off the field issues?