Jeff Schmedding and Will Friend

AUCE05

As much crap as we gave them, they are doing well with the little talent we have.  Lane probably won't keep either, but I just appreciate their effort. 

• Like 3
  • Facepalm 3

Seems that we as fans (aside from the insiders with special info) know very little about what actually goes on inside the program and we can now see that these 2 are not morons without a clue, they were pretty good coaches that were handcuffed

• Like 5
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, ThurstontheWelshCorgi said:

Schmedding is quite a story in an of itself, what he has done the past two games has been extremely impressive

I haven't seen anything impressive about Schmedding performance against MSU.  During the beginning the D was lousy during the middle of the game theDplayed well but that may be more of their offense losing focus after going up big and then when we got the lead our D couldn't hold the lead and with A&M game jordan Roger's stated the A&M offense was not very imaginative and elementary.  Very high school type of offense right up FCS Schmedd area of expertise.

17 minutes ago, AUCE05 said:

As much crap as we gave them, they are doing well with the little talent we have.  Lane probably won't keep either, but I just appreciate their effort. 

Never forget how awful our Oline is. Will Friend is doing everything he can to help us win, but that guy sucks

13 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

Never forget how awful our Oline is. Will Friend is doing everything he can to help us win, but that guy sucks

What if I told you he was held back?  Notice how much better we've run the ball the last 2 weeks?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

9 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

What if I told you he was held back?  Notice how much better we've run the ball the last 2 weeks?

We would’ve been able to run on TAMU regardless. They’re one of the worst run defenses in the country. 

1 minute ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

We would’ve been able to run on TAMU regardless. They’re one of the worst run defenses in the country. 

We couldnt run on anyone all year.  We ran well last week and tonight. Don't discount improvement.

• Like 5

16 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

What does that really mean? I’ve seen it mentioned before but I just don’t know how a position coach could be “held back.” It’s one thing for a HC to reign in a coordinator but just can’t wrap my head around what it would involve to hold an OL coach back. 

6 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

We couldnt run on anyone all year.  We ran well last week and tonight. Don't discount improvement.

We ran pretty well on Ole Miss. Who’s rushing defense ranks right around MSU’s. 

58 minutes ago, AUCE05 said:

Me too, it is nice to see a staff that CARES

39 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

I think it's a bit much to say he sucks... he obviously isn't a Civil Engineer but he has to be a decent coach to have survived this long at a D1 level... 

25 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

That makes sense considering all we have heard from the past HC 

15 minutes ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

Disagree, our online has Def played better the last 2 weeks... ATM loaded the box and we still moved the ball thanks to those big boys

13 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

That's right, week to week they have gotten better.

4 minutes ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

We ran pretty well on Ole Miss. Who’s rushing defense ranks right around MSU’s. 

RA was able to throw the ball against OM that opened up the run... he hasn't been able to make throws against MSST or ATM

15 minutes ago, Auburn02 said:

What does that really mean? I’ve seen it mentioned before but I just don’t know how a position coach could be “held back.” It’s one thing for a HC to reign in a coordinator but just can’t wrap my head around what it would involve to hold an OL coach back. 

Recruiting and scheme.  Some guys we don't have that Harsin flat vetoed that Friend wanted.  Also our scheme the last couple of weeks is slightly different and its paying off.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AUCE05 said:

We have waaaaay more talent than those two make it look like. I’m not saying we’re stacked. But we have two top RBs, JaVarrius Johnson, two top DL, and some other solid defensive players. 

11 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

We have waaaaay more talent than those two make it look like. I’m not saying we’re stacked. But we have two top RBs, JaVarrius Johnson, two top DL, and some other solid defensive players. 

We are a complete mess on offense. Thanks to Harsin AND Gus. Outside of RB, we have zero proven talent. I'm not pining for either to stay with the new regime. In fact, I'm sure they won't and that's great.

But they at least tried to tailor an offensive game plan to the little talent they have. Tank and Jaquez on the field at the same time. Misdirection. Rush plays that were more creative. 

Very hard to call an offense when you have no QB, no WR's, and you are suddenly doing a job you didn't even sign up for. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, cbo said:

We are a complete mess on offense. Thanks to Harsin AND Gus. Outside of RB, we have zero proven talent. I'm not pining for either to stay with the new regime. In fact, I'm sure they won't and that's great.

But they at least tried to tailor an offensive game plan to the little talent they have. Tank and Jaquez on the field at the same time. Misdirection. Rush plays that were more creative. 

Very hard to call an offense when you have no QB, no WR's, and you are suddenly doing a job you didn't even sign up for. 

Camden Brown is a weapon and so was LK before he was benched into the portal. JvJ is a legit SEC WR. But the OL truly is unbelievably bad. I can’t believe we have been able to run like we have the past two weeks. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

Camden Brown is a weapon and so was LK before he was benched into the portal. JvJ is a legit SEC WR. But the OL truly is unbelievably bad. I can’t believe we have been able to run like we have the past two weeks. 

I like all 3 of those guys. Especially JvJ. I'm not sure any of them are proven weapons. Mostly because we don't have a QB that can get it to them, so how would we know?

The OL is the biggest problem on offense. 

But man, Robbie. That missed TD pass to Jarquez? Such an easy throw. If I were suddently thrust in to OC duties and called that play, I'd pull my hair out. 

• Like 1

The Schmedding story is fascinating. Only Boise guy retained. Suddenly he changes like 50 things personnel wise and schematic wise. Dude disguises coverages, sends exotic blitzes. I mean it's been drastic and it's working.

This is also what was said before the year. Boise fans said he was known to be hyper aggressive DC that confuses QB's with the stuff he does. Begs the question on if Harsin wasn't letting him run what he wanted imo

• Like 8

1 hour ago, AUght2win said:

I thought that lb that flipped from bama was supposed to be a can't miss. Maybe it's me but has Woodyard seen the field this year?

35 minutes ago, cbo said:

I like all 3 of those guys. Especially JvJ. I'm not sure any of them are proven weapons. Mostly because we don't have a QB that can get it to them, so how would we know?

The OL is the biggest problem on offense. 

But man, Robbie. That missed TD pass to Jarquez? Such an easy throw. If I were suddently thrust in to OC duties and called that play, I'd pull my hair out. 

Robbie is such a good runner but I’d cap his pass attempts to no more than 10 per game. Just essentially run an option offense. Which we almost did tonight. 

• Like 1

Good thread, thanks - it's a microcosm of our elephant in the corner: emotion re coaching & evaluating that coaching.

Schmeddings gameplans are as vanilla as when D stunk but the 18 - 22 yos are now being motivated. It's the Will Muschamp syndrome: so long as you're energizing the teens they'll run through brick walls - HUGE for a college D. Problem is the emotion is not sustainable for entire seasons and coaching Xs & Os kick in (see e.g. Muschamp-types coaching careers & his teams when adrenaline wore off - and it does wear off). Schmeddings got em ready since Oct and he's, er, fine. Learning.

Friend is a dumpster fire plague on the program who even almost botched running out the clock until other staff stepped in last night with cameras rolling. How he was retained is a miracle. 

7 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

Held back from teaching fundamentals to his players? 

7 hours ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

You mean like we ran on SJSU? Where Ashford was our leading rusher?

7 hours ago, milehighfan said:

I thought that lb that flipped from bama was supposed to be a can't miss. Maybe it's me but has Woodyard seen the field this year?

He played a few snaps in a game early in the season.