Hard Hitters

Jabo

7 hours ago, CCTAU said:

Greg Staples and Carlo Cheatham.

My first Auburn game!!  I had just turned 8 years old.  He KO’d Reggie Cobb!  Tigers won 38-6!  I still have the ticket stub somewhere.

• Like 1

Ronnie Brown lowering the boom like a proper RB. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

7 hours ago, CCTAU said:

Greg Staples and Carlo Cheatham.

Brett Favre said the hardest hit he ever experienced Pro or College came from Carlo. 

Then there's Martavious Houston on Ed Scissum. It's at about the 10 minute mark in the link, may not have been on the level of Rosegreen's lick, but it changed a game that we were all but finished in. 

• Like 2

Also, can't find video, but Brandon Johnson was a monster hitter at fullback. 

I would dearly love to see Auburn come out sporting the old shoulder pads, thigh pads, knee pads, etc...  What an intimidation ploy that would be when they lined up against their opponents. I loved the days when players looked bigger, badder and unworldly. Just go back and look at the players in those old clips above.  WDE  Happy Holidays

• Like 2

Eric Smith was a hitter at FB (even if some of those hits were out of bounds).  By the fourth quarter, you could watch DBs running away from him (probably why some of those hits were out of bounds).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, j0hnnyRingo said:

Bradnon Jacobs vs the Vanderbilt Kick Return Wedge...

https://youtu.be/6hsBLm7B4p4

Jacobs didn't even care about making the tackle on the ball carrier, he just wanted to make those guys pay, and they paid dearly. Plays like this is probably why they changed the kickoff rules for player safety.

Rosegreen and Cheatham were the two hardest I’ve personally remember. The Cheatham hit was more impressive because Cobb was not a small RB. 

Edited by creed

21 hours ago, Mikey said:

They didn't call AU linebacker Mike Kolen "Captain Crunch" for nothing.

@Mikey We have to also include from the same era, DB Buddy McClinton. His hit on a Florida WR was the hardest hit I ever saw in person. I thought he killed the guy.

• Like 1

On 12/8/2022 at 9:28 PM, TigerPAC said:

What about Freddy Smith from late 70s/early 80s?  #33 IIRC

the crowd used to chant his name from the stands often.

• Like 1

in a weird twist bo jackson ran over a badass on D and it ruined his career. i think his leg was broken and he lost the talent he had. bo actually went and visited this player and cried like a baby telling him he was so sorry he ruined his career. it was an accident and bo just ran over him. i just read this yesterday in the the last folk hero which is a new book on bo and it is amazing!!!!!!!

On 12/9/2022 at 2:40 PM, SMITTY4AU said:

Not an Auburn hit but this sure did turn this game around IIRC

Stacy Danley was such a tough player!!  This was not the only game he got KO’d in and came back later.  In the 88 Iron Bowl he got knocked out by Spencer Hammond and came back later and had a huge run on the drive that sealed the game!  They don’t make em like ole Stacy anymore.

• Like 2