Auburn 'in conversations' with more QBs on transfer board

aubiefifty

1 minute ago, AEAugirl said:

There is some social media chatter that Howard is visiting AU. 

Don’t think that is the case at this point. On3 does not think anyone visits. 

@metafour I think you are right to be hoping for more than RA. I also think some of the fan base is still a little hungover from the excitement of the interim Caddy run which included designed plays geared toward RA strengths. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, GreenTiger said:

@metafour I think you are right to be hoping for more than RA. I also think some of the fan base is still a little hungover from the excitement of the interim Caddy run which included designed plays geared toward RA strengths. 

I don't even understand what the excitement is supposed to be, because the actual "facts" don't even suggest any improvement.

Fun fact: his completion percentage over the last ~4-5 games of the season actually dropped to ~42%. So he was actually LESS accurate, which is very troubling considering that we actually started to run the ball better, and Ashford himself was used more as a runner. Normally an increase in running threat should open up the passing game and create easier completions, but he somehow completed even fewer passes.

Even if you just simply look objectively at what Cadillac/Will Friend/Ike Hilliard did once they took over, it doesn't bode well for Ashford: they essentially reduced his pass attempts considerably, and started using him as a de facto third RB. Sure some of that is probably a reflection of the state of the OL and their inability to pass block, but you'd have to be really naïve to not consider that they took a long hard look at what we had in Ashford, and basically concluded that he was so far off as a passer that it made more sense to just run some 1050's inspired offense wherein he's used as a runner as much as he is a passer. Nobody does that voluntarily in 2022 unless the QB just can't complete passes consistently.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, GreenTiger said:

Agree. Also I think the AU fan base is so tired of seeing what we have seen since 2018 that reason has been replaced with hope. 
HF has absolutely shown the ability to coach up quarterbacks, but what some are expecting with RA is just not feasible. 

Smh. It's been so long since we've had an accurate QB that people don't remember what an accurate QB looks like. 

• Like 8
  • Sad 1

34 minutes ago, PowerOfDixieland said:

Kerryon Johnson...?

Man, we really don’t remember! Kerryon was an RB. Probably Stidham/Marshall/Newton was the last accurate QB at Auburn. Brandon Cox was serviceable. Jason Campbell was good. 

18 minutes ago, AUINSY said:

Man, we really don’t remember! Kerryon was an RB. Probably Stidham/Marshall/Newton was the last accurate QB at Auburn. Brandon Cox was serviceable. Jason Campbell was good. 

KJ was 100% in accuracy, half his throws went for TD's....

Kerryon Johnson executes a perfect jump pass to Nate Craig-Myers for a ...

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Apparently no Power 5 program is interested in Sanders right now. As for me I would take Howard in a heartbeat, but still try for a one year guy after spring.

• Like 1
  • Dislike 1

Another thing to remember why portal QB's may not visit here is our O-Line. Yes our staff has done awesome in rebuilding our O-Line and giving us some depth there but these portal guys we got on O-Line have never played together. If I'm a QB in the portal and I've got 1 year of eligibility left and my goal is to get to the NFL, I'm going to a school that has a veteran O-Line, if I can. Perfect example is Devin Leary at NC State. He chose Kentucky over us. Kentucky has a good O-Line for 2023 that has more continuity than we have. Nobody knows how our new O-Linemen will play together. It may take 6 games to gel or maybe a whole season to gel. If I've got 1 year left as a QB, I can't wait half a season or more for my O-Line to gel together. Leary can go to Kentucky, still play in the SEC and play behind an O-Line that's got time together. 

It's going to take some time and patience but we are definitely headed in the right direction. I also trust Freeze, Montgomery and Austin to make the best decision for our team at the QB position. If that means bringing in a transfer QB in may or just going with Finley, Ashford or Geriner as QB1, then I'm trusting those 3 coaches decision because they've damn sure earned it and they are seeing and talking to these QB's every single day. We as fans aren't. WDE

Edited by TeamZero77
  • Dislike 1

Just another Rumor:

https://flywareagle.com/2023/01/15/auburn-football-lsu-qb-transfer-cards/

Rumor has it that Howard was supposed to visit a third school this weekend, though it hasn’t been named. Has Hugh Freeze and co. decided to go after the former LSU quarterback? With only three days left to enroll in classes and become eligible for spring practice on the Plains, we’ll get our answer soon enough.

Edited by AU-24
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, AU-24 said:

Just another Rumor:

https://flywareagle.com/2023/01/15/auburn-football-lsu-qb-transfer-cards/

Rumor has it that Howard was supposed to visit a third school this weekend, though it hasn’t been named. Has Hugh Freeze and co. decided to go after the former LSU quarterback? With only three days left to enroll in classes and become eligible for spring practice on the Plains, we’ll get our answer soon enough.

I'm sure you somehow misread another article

8 hours ago, TeamZero77 said:

Another thing to remember why portal QB's may not visit here is our O-Line. Yes our staff has done awesome in rebuilding our O-Line and giving us some depth there but these portal guys we got on O-Line have never played together. If I'm a QB in the portal and I've got 1 year of eligibility left and my goal is to get to the NFL, I'm going to a school that has a veteran O-Line, if I can. Perfect example is Devin Leary at NC State. He chose Kentucky over us. Kentucky has a good O-Line for 2023 that has more continuity than we have. Nobody knows how our new O-Linemen will play together. It may take 6 games to gel or maybe a whole season to gel. If I've got 1 year left as a QB, I can't wait half a season or more for my O-Line to gel together. Leary can go to Kentucky, still play in the SEC and play behind an O-Line that's got time together. 

It's going to take some time and patience but we are definitely headed in the right direction. I also trust Freeze, Montgomery and Austin to make the best decision for our team at the QB position. If that means bringing in a transfer QB in may or just going with Finley, Ashford or Geriner as QB1, then I'm trusting those 3 coaches decision because they've damn sure earned it and they are seeing and talking to these QB's every single day. We as fans aren't. WDE

No wonder opposing coaching staffs have so easily used negative recruiting against us. "Here son, go read this link, you don't want to play there, they don't like OTs and QBs leave the program in body casts". We know players and parents of those players read message boards and it does influence their decision making. Let's go into 2023 not being a poison pill to the athletic department. I'll return to the shadows now.

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

30 minutes ago, dabrasco said:

No wonder opposing coaching staffs have so easily used negative recruiting against us. "Here son, go read this link, you don't want to play there, they don't like OTs and QBs leave the program in body casts". We know players and parents of those players read message boards and it does influence their decision making. Let's go into 2023 not being a poison pill to the athletic department. I'll return to the shadows now.

A free message board is down around #132 on the list of why we have been getting out recruited the past several years. Btw, if a player and his family are making their decisions off of what this message board says, I'm not so sure that player is strong minded enough to play at Auburn. 

But if telling yourself this helps you sleep at night, then you keep doing you buddy.

Edited by TeamZero77
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, dabrasco said:

If that is what you got out of his post you really need to work on your reading comprehension skills.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, AEAugirl said:

If that is what you got out of his post you really need to work on your reading comprehension skills.  

I read just fine, thank you very much.

• Haha 1

45 minutes ago, dabrasco said:

Most of these players have way more important things to do then sit by idly on a message board watching middle age men / women argue about a sport 99 percent of us has never had the talent to play at their level. 

• Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, AEAugirl said:

It seems a few people took it the same way he did. I guess Harsin's terrible recruiting was due to this message board and Gus's lack of signing O-Line guys was due to message boards. 😂 

If he thinks this board is keeping recruits away, he would die reading an LSU, Alabama, Texas A&M and Tennessee message board. 

2 minutes ago, TeamZero77 said:

It seems a few people took it the same way he did. I guess Harsin's terrible recruiting was due to this message board and Gus's lack of signing O-Line guys was due to message boards. 😂 

If he thinks this board is keeping recruits away, he would die reading an LSU, Alabama, Texas A&M and Tennessee message board. 

I'm not just talking about message boards, social media in general. There was an article this week about how the DB Scott that committed to Auburn did so because of the Twitter love he was getting and decided to check the program out. As much as I dislike that playing a part, it is a thing.

• Like 1