Auburn 'in conversations' with more QBs on transfer board

aubiefifty

9 hours ago, gr82b4au said:

And now TCU, OM, Florida are the leaders. 
I am shocked we did not go all in for him. Maybe we did and he did not want to come, but we need a QB. 

it is the one missing piece between being average and good next year. Our QB room is the weakest link right now. 

@gr82b4au Relax. We still have the May window & options will come available.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, gr82b4au said:

And now TCU, OM, Florida are the leaders. 
I am shocked we did not go all in for him. Maybe we did and he did not want to come, but we need a QB. 

It's pretty obvious that they want a QB who has actually taken snaps and has a track record. There's a big difference between going for McCall/Leary and then choosing a kid with 4 career pass attempts.

We'll see if that changes as this window closes, but the thought process is likely that they can wait till spring if they want to take a backup with limited/no experience.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I know we're still looking for QB's, but what's the thought on an HF taking a Finley or an Ashford and getting things out of them our previous staff could not?

Edited by War to the Eagle
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, War to the Eagle said:

I know we're still looking for QB's, but what's the thought on an HF taking a Finley or an Ashford and getting things out of them our previous staff could not?

Robby is a star in the making. Dude is busting his tail off to get better and Freeze will bring the best out of him. People saw last year and think that's his ceiling but he is so much better than that. He can be a Heisman finalist with Freeze's coaching.  

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, maryland tiger said:

Robby is a star in the making. Dude is busting his tail off to get better and Freeze will bring the best out of him. People saw last year and think that's his ceiling but he is so much better than that. He can be a Heisman finalist with Freeze's coaching.  

You're going to need to provide some actual proof for ridiculous statements like this.

Robbie is a 3rd year player who was ~4th string at Oregon (behind two non-starter QB's, one of whom just transferred to San Jose State or San Diego State) and then was 3rd string at Auburn (or should have been) behind TJ Finley and Calzada - neither of whom are SEC starting QB's themselves. He only got onto the field this past season because the season imploded and Calzada chose not to play and opted out for surgery, even though he was healthy enough to go in. When Robby did start, the team lost almost every game and by the numbers he graded out as one of the worst QB's in the country.

So now it's your turn to explain which part of the above storyline suggests that we have a Heisman contending QB on our hands? A guy who has Heisman ability would have beat a scrub like TJ Finley out for the job right out of fall camp. In fact, he wouldn't have even needed to leave Oregon in the first place. A Heisman caliber QB does not ever complete just 49% of their passes; I don't give a rats ass what the situation is. And Robby Ashford is NOT "young"; he now has multiple years of legit P5 coaching at two different P5 schools.

Do you think that every ~3rd string QB in the country who has some level of athletic ability is a "Heisman capable" QB? Or is this somehow the one-in-a-million scenario?

Edited by metafour
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

13 minutes ago, metafour said:

You're going to need to provide some actual proof for ridiculous statements like this.

Robbie is a 3rd year player who was ~4th string at Oregon (behind two non-starter QB's, one of whom just transferred to San Jose State or San Diego State) and then was 3rd string at Auburn (or should have been) behind TJ Finley and Calzada - neither of whom are SEC starting QB's themselves. He only got onto the field this past season because the season imploded and Calzada chose not to play and opted out for surgery, even though he was healthy enough to go in. When Robby did start, the team lost almost every game and by the numbers he graded out as one of the worst QB's in the country.

So now it's your turn to explain which part of the above storyline suggests that we have a Heisman contending QB on our hands? A guy who has Heisman ability would have beat a scrub like TJ Finley out for the job right out of fall camp. In fact, he wouldn't have even needed to leave Oregon in the first place. A Heisman caliber QB does not ever complete just 49% of their passes; I don't give a rats ass what the situation is. And Robby Ashford is NOT "young"; he now has multiple years of legit P5 coaching at two different P5 schools.

Do you think that every ~3rd string QB in the country who has some level of athletic ability is a "Heisman capable" QB? Or is this somehow the one-in-a-million scenario?

Point well taken but you don’t have to call T.J. A scrub man. Gracious lol 

• Haha 3

And I know people like to point towards MW but I will say that people need to remember MW sat for a year prior to play for freeze . He sat and he learned . RA needs to sit and learn how to be a quality QB, imo.

Edited by DAG
  • Like 4

Jackson kid at Tennessee just hit the portal. That being said, I personally wish that Freeze would put a full court press on to get the Huard kid transferring from Washington. He's listed as the #3 player still available in the portal. He may not be ready to start right away, but has more natural QB talent than anyone currently on our roster. My $.02

10 minutes ago, Eagle-1 said:

Jackson kid at Tennessee just hit the portal. That being said, I personally wish that Freeze would put a full court press on to get the Huard kid transferring from Washington. He's listed as the #3 player still available in the portal. He may not be ready to start right away, but has more natural QB talent than anyone currently on our roster. My $.02

There is no reason to bring in someone with lack of playing experience, Particularly in the SEC. He has not shown a thing at the PAC-12 level. He may very well eventually match his potential, but he has not shown it. If a QB is coming, it will be a buffer QB who is ready to step in.

• Like 2

From what I have seen there are quarterbacks that can run any system then there are they ones that fit a certain scheme. I wasn’t the biggest TJ fan but the system that CBH wanted fit his skill set better than Robby. He does throw a pretty good ball.  Robby isn’t a pro style under the center type quarterback . He seems to throw better on the run for some reason. Whomever is in the qb room let them battle it out and may the best man win.

*Really curious about Holden though. In the spring game appeared to be pretty decisive and throws a good ball

1 minute ago, e808 said:

From what I have seen there are quarterbacks that can run any system then there are they ones that fit a certain scheme. I wasn’t the biggest TJ fan but the system that CBH wanted fit his skill set better than Robby. He does throw a pretty good ball.  Robby isn’t a pro style under the center type quarterback . He seems to throw better on the run for some reason. Whomever is in the qb room let them battle it out and may the best man win.

*Really curious about Holden though. In the spring game appeared to be pretty decisive and throws a good ball

In a perfect world, the coaches would adapt to the QBs they have skillset. Here is where Freeze and Coach Montgomery come in...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, War to the Eagle said:

@War to the Eagle Finley still plans to transfer after he graduates. Freeze definitely could get more out of Robby it just likely wouldn't be a great increase in year 1.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, metafour said:

You could have made these same statements about Jason Campbell and you saw what he did his "last" year. When a better offensive mind was hired, Jason balled out. Also, Tank should be higher on the all-time rushing list but do you know why he isn't? Because of the awful Offensive line that he played behind, the same line that didn't give any QB time to throw. 

Regardless of Robby's age, if you put better players(Oline) and he gets better coaching, he will excel. Nobody last year balled out because the team had limited talent. I'm saying the dude has all the tools if those tools are coached up. I am in no way saying he is a finished product but you writing him off is way to preliminary. He will be the starting QB next because of his potential. Keep dreaming and rubbing your rabbits foot hoping for someone else to take his spot. It "ain't" happening. 

Edited by maryland tiger
  • Like 2
  • Facepalm 2

8 minutes ago, maryland tiger said:

You could have made these same statements about Jason Campbell and you saw what he did his "last" year. When a better offensive mind was hired, Jason balled out. Also, Tank should be higher on the all-time rushing list but do you know why he isn't? Because of the awful Offensive line that he played behind, the same line that didn't give any QB time to throw. 

Regardless of Robby's age, if you put better players(Oline) and he gets better coaching, he will excel. Nobody last year balled out because the team had limited talent. I'm saying the dude has all the tools if those tools are coached up. I am in no way saying he is a finished product but you writing him off is way to preliminary. He will be the starting QB next because of his potential. Keep dreaming and rubbing your rabbits foot hoping for someone else to take his spot. It "ain't" happening. 

I think we are destined for shared QB again. Either TJ/RA or Geriner/TA. It will greatly surprise me if Freezes offense is completely in RAs hands.

1 hour ago, DAG said:

There is no reason to bring in someone with lack of playing experience, Particularly in the SEC. He has not shown a thing at the PAC-12 level. He may very well eventually match his potential, but he has not shown it. If a QB is coming, it will be a buffer QB who is ready to step in.

I realize we would like to have a QB that is plug, and play. Huard has three years of eligibility remaining. You could do far worse than bringing in a former 5 star QB who was the #3 QB when he came out of high school. The question is if you have room on the roster to take him. I think TJ will transfer in the spring, and some other players probably as well that would open up a slot or three. Would hate to look back a year, or two down the road, and say damn, we might could have had this guy. That's all I'm saying. I realize that just because he came here we might not be able to keep him if he doesn't make to the top of the depth chart right away. He's transferring to get playing time, because he's behind a Heisman candidate for next season. I'll be interested to watch his landing spot, and where his career goes from here. 

1 minute ago, Eagle-1 said:

You could do far worse than bringing in a former 5 star QB

I hear you, but high school rankings matter none at this juncture of his career.  If he was as good as people thought, Bo Nix ( Who was not a Heisman caliber QB at the time) would not have been asked to transfer in. I think it is absolutely important that we add practical pieces right now and not projects. We already got for sure two of them, maybe three.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DAG said:

I hear you, but high school rankings matter none at this juncture of his career.  If he was as good as people thought, Bo Nix ( Who was not a Heisman caliber QB at the time) would not have been asked to transfer in. I think it is absolutely important that we add practical pieces right now and not projects. We already got for sure two of them, maybe three.

Agree on the projects, but he's at Washington, not Oregon. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DAG said:

We may be waiting on McCall to graduate.  Danny Hugh knows what he's doing. He got someone in mind

• Like 3

Just now, NWALA Tiger said:

We may be waiting on McCall to graduate.  Danny Hugh knows what he's doing. He got someone in mind

McCall...never seems to go away, but you could be right.

1 minute ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Hope you're right. That would be almost just too awesome for an Auburn fan to handle😁

• Like 2

Keep in mind that if there are underclassmen in the portal currently who may be somewhat of a project with excellent potential you better get them this year. The changes to the portal next year are going to change the free agency quite dramatically. Just saying. 

McCall somehow coming into play for us would be too good to be true IMO, he's the Freezball prototype and an experienced version of Geriner for mentoring/development purposes.

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

Freeze definitely could get more out of Robby it just likely wouldn't be a great increase in year 1.

Agree. I am in the camp that he will get better, but when you are dead last in QBR and accuracy, getting better is not good enough. I hope I am wrong because I really like the kid, but I just don’t see it with him. 

Truthfully it is just hard for me to be patient because I am so burned by Harsin and Gus when it comes to quarterbacks. 

As for others comparing Robby to Campbell or Willis, it is apples and oranges. The only comparison is that they are all quarterbacks.