Auburn 'in conversations' with more QBs on transfer board

aubiefifty

15 minutes ago, dabrasco said:

I read just fine, thank you very much.

He made a post about offensive line being a potential issue for QB transfers which is logical and you ran with some diatribe about message board posters.

You may can read but comprehending those words is a completely different story. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

Not sure the Oline is an issue anymore.  I don't think Auburn will pick another QB up till after Aday

All I said was these new O-Line guys haven't played any snaps together. They may take time to gel. If I'm a QB in the portal with 1 year of eligibility remaining, I'm looking for an O-Line that has alot of snaps together. That's all I said.

I said that this staff has flipped our O-Line in weeks and added depth as well and I'm very excited about that. 

It would be like Russell Wilson choosing Wisconsin in 2011 over Auburn because Wisky's O-Line was a veteran O-Line and our O-Line lost Ziemba and others from our 2010 Tirle season. Cam chose Auburn over Mississippi State for the same reason. Bo Nix went to Oregon partly because of their O-Line. That's all I meant by my post.

Our O-Line has depth and new faces that should be better than previous seasons O-Line. When they will gel as one, we don't know for sure. WDE

Edited by TeamZero77

1 hour ago, dabrasco said:

I'm not just talking about message boards, social media in general. There was an article this week about how the DB Scott that committed to Auburn did so because of the Twitter love he was getting and decided to check the program out. As much as I dislike that playing a part, it is a thing.

The Auburn fans tweeted Scott. As a matter of fact he said the Auburn fans flooded him with tweets. I'm not on social media whatsoever. I also posted on a free message board and you clearly miscomprehended my post as others have let you know. 

This is a message board. It's not that deep. My post will have ZERO impact on swinging a recruit to Auburn or not. 

We can agree to disagree. WDE

If I am a quarterback and I am looking to play somewhere in a big league, Auburn would probably be the first choice because we don’t have a proven quarterback and we have a brand new coaching staff. 
We need a stopgap and a good incoming QB in the next class. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TeamZero77 said:

The Auburn fans tweeted Scott. As a matter of fact he said the Auburn fans flooded him with tweets. I'm not on social media whatsoever. I also posted on a free message board and you clearly miscomprehended my post as others have let you know. 

This is a message board. It's not that deep. My post will have ZERO impact on swinging a recruit to Auburn or not. 

We can agree to disagree. WDE

So, is it cool to blame you, if we don't get QB out of the portal? You good with that 😎 

• Haha 2

Mike G makes some excellent points in regards to the QB position. I couldn't agree more. Bring in whoever you like, they are only playing for 2nd place and 2nd place is the first loser. 

Robby hasn't began to reach his full potential and is nowhere near his peak. 

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, DAG said:

Most of these players have way more important things to do then sit by idly on a message board watching middle age men / women argue about a sport 99 percent of us has never had the talent to play at their level. 

The players do.  I agree.  But many of their parents, relatives, friends (see moma worm as example) do read these and other message boards.  I hate to see so many posters come out and bash the players.  I'm really sad to see so many Robbie Ashford bashers lately.  The kid gives so much effort and his desire and work ethic is as good as anyone who has ever worn an Auburn uniform.  But hey, I grew up in an era that didn't have message boards, just Sunday and Monday discussions at church and work about the past weeks game.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, tinman1 said:

The players do.  I agree.  But many of their parents, relatives, friends (see moma worm as example) do read these and other message boards.  I hate to see so many posters come out and bash the players.  I'm really sad to see so many Robbie Ashford bashers lately.  The kid gives so much effort and his desire and work ethic is as good as anyone who has ever worn an Auburn uniform.  But hey, I grew up in an era that didn't have message boards, just Sunday and Monday discussions at church and work about the past weeks game.

Sure but this idea that players/parents read on this message board is going to sway decisions more then their built up discussion with the coaches, potentially NIL communication , etc is very short sighted. These players and parents are privy to a lot more than anything random anonymous posters say and I imagine the coaches /parents / players laugh at some of the stuff us as players think we know because tbh , we don’t know diddly squat .

It appears to me that CHF and CPM have evaluated our quarterbacks and are looking for an upgrade to what we currently have. They see lots of potential in Ashford and Geriner. So far, no one (except McCall) have what they want. Once they find what they are looking for, we'll go after them hard. If no one appears, we may take someone to give us another body in the room but that won't happen until the spring. I'm ok with RA and HG if our coaches are. 

• Like 3

Didn't our staff also offer Leary after McCall (our No. 1 guy) didn't work out?  Leary was plan B for us, but Plan A for UK. So no surprise that he signed with Wildcats.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, autan said:

Didn't our staff also offer Leary after McCall (our No. 1 guy) didn't work out?  Leary was plan B for us, but Plan A for UK. So no surprise that he signed with Wildcats.

$ None at all $. I have also heard there were other conditions we would not meet. 

I am not an insider and do not pretend to be. Just overheard something in my small part of the world. If I'm wrong, I'll apologize and stand corrected.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, cole256 said:

I'm sure you somehow misread another article

Actually for the unfortunate low IQ readers like yourself, I quoted the article.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, AU-24 said:

Actually for the unfortunate low IQ readers like yourself, I quoted the article.

Lmao. The guy who on 3 different occasions has quoted articles, misread them and had the entire board tell him he misread them, and he STILL refused to admit it. Has the audacity to label someone low IQ.......Now that's hilarious. 

What we know about RA. One heck of an athlete,  extremely competitive, works his butt off.  Made some great throws but lacked consistency and we have since found out his throwing shoulder was sprained for most of the season. We also know that prior to hurting his shoulder he could not beat out Finley. Not beating out Finley may have been because Finley already knew the system and Harsin put great store in knowing the system so it is possible RA was never really given a shot until Finley was hurt.

If shoulder joint was only sprained as they are saying he will be healthy by spring and we should see a lot more consistency as a QB even though he will be in a new system. He might be a legitimate Starting SEC QB with the coaching he will get.

What we know about Geriner he was extremely accurate in HS and supposedly last year in practice.  He is no longer a freshman, he is not the athlete that RA is but from watching HS film moves in pocket to buy time to make throws. Like RA he will be in a new system. RA will have the advantage of having real SEC snaps but both will be on equal footing as to knowledge of new system. Again with the new coaching staff being talented QB coaches he should get better this spring just like RA. He has potential to be an SEC QB with development.

In todays game we see more and more starting Freshman QB's so  there is no reason that Geriner shouldn't have an equal opportunity as RA to win the starting job. 

I know HF has been trying to find  QB in the portal but the fact that he has not settled for any QB also means he feels good about either RA or Geriner or both and he thinks if we can't find a sure thing at QB he is willing to go to war with these two.

Edited by AuburnNTexas
  • Like 4

19 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

What we know about RA. One heck of an athlete,  extremely competitive, works his butt off.  Made some great throws but lacked consistency and we have since found out his throwing shoulder was sprained for most of the season. We also know that prior to hurting his shoulder he could not beat out Finley. Not beating out Finley may have been because Finley already knew the system and Harsin put great store in knowing the system so it is possible RA was never really given a shot until Finley was hurt.

If shoulder joint was only sprained as they are saying he will be healthy by spring and we should see a lot more consistency as a QB even though he will be in a new system. He might be a legitimate Starting SEC QB with the coaching he will get.

What we know about Geriner he was extremely accurate in HS and supposedly last year in practice.  He is no longer a freshman, he is not the athlete that RA is but from watching HS film moves in pocket to buy time to make throws. Like RA he will be in a new system. RA will have the advantage of having real SEC snaps but both will be on equal footing as to knowledge of new system. Again with the new coaching staff being talented QB coaches he should get better this spring just like RA. He has potential to be an SEC QB with development.

In todays game we see more and more starting Freshman QB's so  there is no reason that Geriner shouldn't have an equal opportunity as RA to win the starting job. 

I know HF has been trying to find  QB in the portal but the fact that he has not settled for any QB also means he feels good about either RA or Geriner or both and he thinks if we can't find a sure thing at QB he is willing to go to war with these two.

Awful lot of assumptions in this 'What we know' post. Expecting HF and PM to turn around a below 50% comp pct QB into an SEC caliber starter in one offseason while installing a new system seems like a recipe for expecting too much.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, KansasTiger said:

Awful lot of assumptions in this 'What we know' post. Expecting HF and PM to turn around a below 50% comp pct QB into an SEC caliber starter in one offseason while installing a new system seems like a recipe for expecting too much.

Here are some things that could help him improve. Being able to throw without playing with an injured shoulder. Having upgrades ant the oline and not running for his life. Having a coaching staff that can fit his skillset.

Even knowing all the things about Holden most thought it would be detrimental to his health to play him last. CHF has a lot to evaluate this spring gotta see how it shakes out.

• Like 1

It seems Impossible to think that Robbie Ashford can improve from a 50% completion rate to a 60%. But if he throws 30 passes a game and goes from completing 15 passes to 18 passes, that’s exactly how the numbers play out. I believe he has the ability and the coaches in Freeze improve Montgomery to improve 3-5 passes a game. Time  will tell. 

Edited by Gowebb11
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

It seems Impossible to think that Robbie Ashford can improve from a 50% completion rate to a 60%. But if he throws 30 passes a game and goes from completing 15 passes to 18 passes, that’s exactly how the numbers play out. I believe he has the ability and the coaches in Freeze improve Montgomery to improve 3-5 passes a game. Time  will tell. 

But this is a silly way to try to explain what the real issue is. It's not about a hard "number" that he needs to reach in terms of completion percentage. If he throws 3 more simple screen passes every game next season completes them and that gets him to "60%", that doesn't imply that he is now a good QB.

• Like 1

Just now, metafour said:

But this is a silly way to try to explain what the real issue is. It's not about a hard "number" that he needs to reach in terms of completion percentage. If he throws 3 more simple screen passes every game next season completes them and that gets him to "60%", that doesn't imply that he is now a good QB.

What if those 3 passes per game result in 20+ yards/explosive plays and a TD or two per game? I've learned in life that while planning for the worst-case scenario, I should also consider the best-case scenario, and anything in between. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, e808 said:

Here are some things that could help him improve. Being able to throw without playing with an injured shoulder.

This is a nonsense excuse that I will continue to call out.

His shoulder was perfectly healthy during the fall camp, wherein EVERY report was clear to point out that he was highly erratic and extremely mistake prone. His shoulder was perfectly healthy over the multiple years he spent at Oregon, wherein he couldn't even get to #3 on their depth chart...because he was mistake prone and erratic.

This is a convenient excuse  that doesn't take into account that these flaws that he has were KNOWN QUALITIES throughout his entire 3 years as an NCAA football player. They didn't magically pop up once he hurt his shoulder. For you to phrase the scenario that way is the definition of dishonesty.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just now, metafour said:

His shoulder was perfectly healthy during the fall camp, wherein EVERY report was clear to point out that he was highly erratic and extremely mistake prone. His shoulder was perfectly healthy over the multiple years he spent at Oregon, wherein he couldn't even get to #3 on their depth chart...because he was mistake prone and erratic.

This is a convenient excuse  that doesn't take into account that these flaws that he has were KNOWN QUALITIES throughout his entire 3 years as an NCAA football player. They didn't magically pop up once he hurt his shoulder. For you to phrase the scenario that way is the definition of dishonesty.

We also know of awful of a coach Harsin was, and his ability to evaluate and decision-making was horrendous. Just about anything done under Harsin as a head coach isn't really worth taking seriously. 

8 minutes ago, metafour said:

That’s not an excuse it’s a fact. Does an injury affect how u practice or ur ability to get better. Injuries and illness takes a toll on everyone. 

Edited by e808

I think what Metafour is trying to get at is that Robbie is not a very good QB as his #86 ranked QBR indicates.

He's ours so we try and make excuses for him and look at him through the best lens possible...if we squint our eyes a little you can't see the flaws as much.  Better to deal with reality and get a QB with all of the necessary skills.

Here are the rankings.  He's #116 when you rate him by how many points he generates vs the average QB (-23).

https://www.espn.com/college-football/qbr/_/sort/qbpaa/dir/desc

Edited by AUDevil
  • Like 5

2 minutes ago, AUINSY said:

What if those 3 passes per game result in 20+ yards/explosive plays and a TD or two per game? I've learned in life that while planning for the worst-case scenario, I should also consider the best-case scenario, and anything in between. 

What does that have to do with what I said?

Robby Ashford struggles with completing the passes that actually make or break a football game. It's not about him simply "completing 3 more passes per game" which is what the post I was responding to was trying to suggest. It's about him making the actual difficult throws in the spots of the game wherein a completion will push the outcome of the game towards a win. If you design an offense wherein you just call simple dump-offs and low difficulty throws, the QB completing those passes doesn't automatically equal a "good QB'. This is the literal definition of the NFL passing over heavy system QB's from these specialty offenses wherein they complete ~70% of the throws for lots of yards, and yet no one in the NFL gives a s***.

Here's the actuality of the QB position: over the course of a game, there are probably ~10 passes that are 50/50 and come in highly important spots in the game. An elite QB will make those throws, which leads to wins. The other 10-15 passes wherein you're throwing to wide open receivers, throwing screen passes, completing a pass for 7 yards on 3rd and 14, etc. are low-impact plays that ANY QB should be expected to complete.

The entire point here is that the difference between Bryce Young and Robby Ashford is more intricate than saying "gee, if we get Robby to complete 3-4 more passes, he's right there!". No, the difference is that someone like Bryce Young will make those ~5-10 plays over the course of the game that actually leads to wins.

• Like 2