CNN, Charles Barkley reportedly in negotiations for primetime news show

aubiefifty

Alabama native Charles Barkley arrives for the Basketball Hall of Fame enshrinement ceremony in Springfield, Mass, Saturday, Sept. 10, 2022, in Springfield, Mass. (AP Photo/Jessica Hill)

NEW!

By

Mark Heim | mheim@al.com

CNN is in negotiations to bring in NBA analyst Charles Barkley.

Dylan Byers is reporting, citing two sources, that Chris Licht, the CEO of CNN, has the former Auburn and NBA star on his shortlist of potential candidates for a news-oriented primetime show.

The show, per the report, the TNT “Inside the NBA” analyst would interview “newsmakers, journalists, and other guests about various topics of the day.”

Barkley has always been known to share open, honest, blunt and funny takes.

“Chris is having conversations with dozens of culturally relevant individuals from the worlds of news, sports, entertainment and comedy,” CNN spokesman Matt Dornic told Byers.

A deal with Barkley, per the report, would allow the Alabama native to continue his role with TNT.

Gayle King, per the report, is also being courted.

Mark Heim is a sports reporter for The Alabama Media Group. Follow him on Twitter @Mark_Heim.

18 hours ago, Mikey said:

Good for Barkley, but I wish he was doing this somewhere besides CNN. Does anybody even look at that channel any more?

i agree. i am a lib. hell my major was liberal arts but it has been a long time since i watched cnn or fox. i like news with my news..................grins

• 7 months later...

Would love to have seen Skip and Charles go at it on Undisputed.

I like Barkley.  He can talk some real trash.  Somewhat below Larry-Bird-esque, but Barkley is above average.

And Skip Bayless can get under anybody's skin.

No chance of it ever happening, but it would have been interesting.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, WillMunny said:

Would love to have seen Skip and Charles go at it on Undisputed.

I like Barkley.  He can talk some real trash.  Somewhat below Larry-Bird-esque, but Barkley is above average.

And Skip Bayless can get under anybody's skin.

No chance of it ever happening, but it would have been interesting.

i read his book and he mentioned a couple of times he was trash talking made laugh out loud for realz. i have his auto!