Dixon, rb, out for year

DKW 86

Link

Kentucky RB Dixon out for seasonESPN.com news services

The University of Kentucky's sophomore running back Tony Dixon will miss the upcoming season after he fractured his left fibula and tore a ligament in his left ankle during Friday's practice, the Lexington (Ky.) Herald-Leader reported.

UK coach Rich Brooks said Dixon will have surgery this week and will be eligible for a medical redshirt this fall.

Dixon, a native of Parrish, Ala., started six games last season, rushing for 244 yards and one touchdown. His best performance came in the season's second game against Indiana when he rushed for 105 yards on nine carries, including a 67-yard run that was UK's longest of the season.

The Herald-Leader said the injury was especially unfortunate, as Dixon had worked hard to be eligible to play. He was one of four players suspended for the duration of spring practice because of academic issues, and was the only one to return to the team. Brooks said Dixon had a 3.5 grade-point average in summer school.

"It's a shame because he's one of the breakaway guys that we have, and it's too bad because he did a great job getting himself back on track academically," Brooks said.

Dixon attended Friday's scrimmage on crutches and said he's scheduled to undergo more X-rays on Monday.

"My feelings are hurt more than my leg right now," he said in the Herald-Leader. "I worked so hard to get back. But there's nothing I can do but wait until next year."

I am sorry to hear any kid getting hurt. Man, :uk: might go 0-11 this year, they are that thin and that poorly coached.

Sep 4 Louisville

Sep 10 Idaho State

Sep 17 @Indiana

Sep 24 Florida

Oct 8 @South Carolina

Oct 22 @Mississippi

Oct 29 Mississippi St.

Nov 5 Auburn

Nov 12 @Vanderbilt

Nov 19 @Georgia

Nov 26 Tennessee

0-11 seems like a real easy possiblity

Sep 10 Idaho State

Sep 17 @Indiana

They were only projected as a 2-9 team to begin the year.

With Dixon out, those two "wins" might be a ball bounce away from being losses.

Idaho State may be their only chance at a W this season. The Hoosiers and :vandy: will beat them.

Archived