Softball vs Samford

Play Wednesday, 3/29 at Samford 6 PM.  TV ESPN+.  Their record is 14 - 18.  Many of the losses by less than 3 runs except for 2 game losses to Georgia by 8 and 9 runs. In February, they lost to both UAB and Alabama by a score of 2 - 3. They defeated Ole Miss 3 - 0 in Oxford.  The new HC at Samford, Kimball Cassady, played college softball at AU 1998 - 2001.  Played 3rd base.  She had successful coaching career at Birmingham Southern prior to arriving at Samford July of 2021.  Brought her pitching coach with her (Gillespie).  They have shown tremendous improvement since her arrival.  Their website shows tickets available but they have very limited seating and seating first come type deal; otherwise standing or "lawn seating".    Their top pitcher (Newcomb) has pitched almost 3 times the innings of the next most used pitcher.  Her ERA 1.57 and was SoCon pitcher of the week this past week.  Appears to have the potential to be a very competitive game.

link to article about Coach Cassady:  https://cahabasun.com/sports/samford-hires-cassady-to-lead-softball-program/

Edited by slot canyon
  • Like 2

Well, it didn't turn out to be that close, with Penta pitching for us.  She struck out 8, and Garcia had 5 RBI with a double and a dinger.  The double barely made it over the LF and should possibly have been caught, but it was a hard shot.  Their CF made a nice play on a ball hit by Packer, and McCondichie had a nice catch of a pop behind second base.  Samford fielding contributed muchly to the 10-0 score.  The Tigers chased starter Newcomb in the 4th (she may have been on a pitch count) and continued the assault on Partain, who walked the first 4 batters she faced.  

Fun game to watch, wondering if Slot made it to the game.

• Like 1

• WarTiger changed the title to Softball vs Samford
7 hours ago, OlderWhiskey said:

Well, it didn't turn out to be that close, with Penta pitching for us.  She struck out 8, and Garcia had 5 RBI with a double and a dinger.  The double barely made it over the LF and should possibly have been caught, but it was a hard shot.  Their CF made a nice play on a ball hit by Packer, and McCondichie had a nice catch of a pop behind second base.  Samford fielding contributed muchly to the 10-0 score.  The Tigers chased starter Newcomb in the 4th (she may have been on a pitch count) and continued the assault on Partain, who walked the first 4 batters she faced.  

Fun game to watch, wondering if Slot made it to the game.

I don't know why Dean doesn't use games like this to develop some depth on his pitching staff. AU shouldn't need their ace to beat Samford. Geez! Give the ball to one of the others and if we win 10-5 instead of 10-0 it's still better for the overall team.

• Like 4

I listened to the game on the auburntigers app but missed the pre-game and top of the first inning.  Was very surprised to see Penta pitching after she pitched 2 games last weekend.  Any clue why?  Lowe only lasted 1.1 innings against Missouri - is she injured again or not feeling well or are they resting her for this coming weekend or??? 

1 minute ago, Mikey said:

I don't know why Dean doesn't use games like this to develop some depth on his pitching staff. AU shouldn't need their ace to beat Samford. Geez! Give the ball to one of the others and if we win 10-5 instead of 10-0 it's still better for the overall team.

The score was Auburn 6 - Samford 0 after 4 innings.   Auburn then scored 4 runs in the top of the 5th bringing the lead to 10-0.  CMD brought in Widra to pitch the bottom of the 5th and close out the game.   Agree he could have brought in Rolfe instead and given her some more experience.  If she had given up 3 runs, the game would have gone to the 6th and possibly 7th.  Were they just ready to get on the bus back to Auburn or was this about getting a solid win to boost their resume or ???

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Golden Eagle said:

The score was Auburn 6 - Samford 0 after 4 innings.   Auburn then scored 4 runs in the top of the 5th bringing the lead to 10-0.  CMD brought in Widra to pitch the bottom of the 5th and close out the game.   Agree he could have brought in Rolfe instead and given her some more experience.  If she had given up 3 runs, the game would have gone to the 6th and possibly 7th.  Were they just ready to get on the bus back to Auburn or was this about getting a solid win to boost their resume or ???

What I'm talking about is not putting Penta in the game at all. Unless, maybe, the score was tied in the late innings. We shouldn't need our ace to beat Samford.

Samford beat Ole Miss 3-0 and lost to Bama 1-0. I don’t know his mindset, but I don’t think he wanted to risk a loss. Their starting pitcher shut down SEC competition more than once. Hopefully we’ll see more of Widra and Rolfe against Jacksonville State and Alabama State. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Jad0003 said:

Samford beat Ole Miss 3-0 and lost to Bama 1-0. I don’t know his mindset, but I don’t think he wanted to risk a loss. Their starting pitcher shut down SEC competition more than once. Hopefully we’ll see more of Widra and Rolfe against Jacksonville State and Alabama State. 

I also believe that's why he started Penta...just wonder why he didn't start Lowe instead given how many more pitches Penta threw over the weekend?  I hope Penta holds up through the rest of the season...she's a beast!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Golden Eagle said:

I also believe that's why he started Penta...just wonder why he didn't start Lowe instead given how many more pitches Penta threw over the weekend?  I hope Penta holds up through the rest of the season...she's a beast!

She is insane right now. 

I don’t know Lowe’s health status, but I’d imagine he is limiting her to one game per week. I imagine we’ll see her against Ole Miss on Friday or Saturday. If we don’t see her this week then I’ll be worried. 

• Like 1

OlderWhiskey asked...

"Fun game to watch, wondering if Slot made it to the game".

Did not attend the game this year but did attend the last one in 2016.  Because of that experience I know it would be "overflow" as the Samford staff and students have priority on the seating and no reserved seating with the price of admission (I think $10).  In any event, wife and I decided to settle for home comfort rather than lug around chairs/blankets.  Noticed quite a crowd behind the outfield fence which had been covered by tarp in 2016.  

In 2016 AU won 18-1 and Rachael Walters pitched no hitter I believe.  The Samford run was unearned.  Samford used 4 pitchers.  Cooper had a HR and Rhodes had bases loaded HR.  Whitney Jordan had what I call a Victoria Draper style catch with associated dislodged sunglasses.  Might enjoy this historical view and the memories of some recent past players.  

• Like 1
  • Love 1

15 minutes ago, slot canyon said:

In 2016 AU won 18-1 and Rachael Walters pitched no hitter I believe.  The Samford run was unearned.  Samford used 4 pitchers.  Cooper had a HR and Rhodes had bases loaded HR.  Whitney Jordan had what I call a Victoria Draper style catch with associated dislodged sunglasses.  Might enjoy this historical view and the memories of some recent past players. 

Thanks for posting - fun to watch.  I noticed there were 3 slap hits - two by Howard and one by Draper - and the batter was out of the batter's box on all 3 of them!

Great stuff!  Thanks for the memories.  I recall watching that game on TV.  Remembered the homer by Rhodes, but had forgotten the catch by Jordan, who is on my all-time favorites list.  Noticed some subs near the end - Anna Gibbs, Jenna Abbott, Bree Fornis.  Got to feeling sorry for Samford, though.  That team was a hungry beast.

2 hours ago, Golden Eagle said:

Thanks for posting - fun to watch.  I noticed there were 3 slap hits - two by Howard and one by Draper - and the batter was out of the batter's box on all 3 of them!

good pickup......I totally missed it.

2 hours ago, OlderWhiskey said:

Great stuff!  Thanks for the memories.  I recall watching that game on TV.  Remembered the homer by Rhodes, but had forgotten the catch by Jordan, who is on my all-time favorites list.  Noticed some subs near the end - Anna Gibbs, Jenna Abbott, Bree Fornis.  Got to feeling sorry for Samford, though.  That team was a hungry beast.

Likewise, I always liked Whitney and the way she transitioned from outfield to shortstop when she was called on to fill the position.

I miss that team. That team could hit! Thanks for the trip down memory lane.  Cooper destroyed that ball lol.  Also Samford made good improvements to their stadium.