This should concern you regardless of party

TexasTiger

This is unseemly, if true.  Transparency should be required. I suspect Justice Thomas is not alone. As long as we are on the subject of transparency, I can't believe that hundreds of millions of dollars were paid to Fauci and other CDC and NIH employees as "royalties", and we are unable to find out who paid them and how much. And most importantly, why it was paid? Exactly what do NIH bureaucrats do that earns them a "royalty".

• Like 2
  • Facepalm 2

Here's Clarences statement: 

"Harlan and Kathy Crow are among our dearest friends, and we have been friends for over twenty-five years," the justice, who has served on the bench for 32 years, said in a Friday statement.

"As friends do, we have joined them on a number of family trips during the more than quarter century we have known them. Early in my tenure at the Court, I sought guidance from my colleagues and others in the judiciary, and was advised that this sort of personal hospitality from close personal friends, who did not have business before the Court, was not reportable," Thomas said.

"I have endeavored to follow that counsel throughout my tenure, and have always sought to comply with the disclosure guidelines,"  he said. "These guidelines are now being changed, as the committee of the Judicial Conference responsible for financial disclosure for the entire federal judiciary just this past month announced new guidance. And, it is, of course, my intent to follow this guidance in the future."

Interpreted more honestly as, "I believed and was told there was a loophole in the ethics guidelines where I didn't have to report that I received gifts as long as they came from "close friends." 

We expect our Justices to interpret the Constitution and some of them cant even interpret the ethics laws they are bound by. 

Edited by CoffeeTiger
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, CoffeeTiger said:

Interpreted more honestly as, "I believed and was told there was a loophole in the ethics guidelines where I didn't have to report that I received gifts as long as they came from "close friends." 

We expect our Justices to interpret the Constitution and some of them cant even interpret the ethics laws they are bound by. 

I guess you are going to help with AOC’s articles of impeachment for Thomas.  She will need the help.

45 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

I guess you are going to help with AOC’s articles of impeachment for Thomas.  She will need the help.

Yeah....I am waiting to see what laws he actually broke. LOL 

I mean according to the rules he did not do anything wrong. I am glad they have tightened the rules though. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Facepalm 1

As I have been told on this forum a 100X...

"Anyone in Washington is just going to have opportunities like this, their children are going to have opportunities like this, their family members are going to have opportunities like this, it is just part of the process. No one likes it but it is just real..."

As for ethics and AOC, wearing the Tax the Rich dress was a benefit she did not declare and she is being investigated for it now.

Ethics are good for everyone but let's face it, no one in Congress could pass even one ethics probe. I think that means we should get rid of them all. 

Edited by DKW 86
  • Like 2

On 4/7/2023 at 11:43 AM, TitanTiger said:

If what he did wasn't illegal or didn't violate the ethics rules at the time, I don't see how it could rise to something actionable (impeachment or censuring).  But it should trigger a tightening of the rules to cover things like this.

I do think from just a personal integrity standpoint, judges (especially a SCOTUS justice) should seek to be above reproach and avoid things such as this without having to be told to or required by law. 

It is a nothingburger; with extra cheese and a big glass of "whine."

• Like 2
  • Facepalm 1

On 4/6/2023 at 9:12 AM, TexasTiger said:

“For more than two decades, Thomas has accepted luxury trips virtually every year....."

So, he hangs out with friends when on vacation. Man that's, uh, not a problem because most people do it as a matter of rote.

What should concern Americans regardless of party is that the Giggling Hyena is just one senile man's heartbeat from the presidency.

• Haha 1
  • Facepalm 1

On 4/10/2023 at 12:02 PM, NolaAuTiger said:

So, what do you think about the Hunter Biden "scandal"?

On 4/10/2023 at 11:02 AM, NolaAuTiger said:

Nola weighs all-in on corrupt jurists. 👍🏻

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, NolaAuTiger said:

Eh, the drugs and hookers would've canned him off the Supreme Court. 

If he was a Republican, the Senate would never convict.

• Like 1

1. Lifetime appointment to ANY government office should be prohibited.

2. Thomas was appointed despite his criminal behavior.

3. Thomas (and his sidekick wife) have always sucked the toes of the rich right-wingers, so this latest report is really no surprise.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 4/13/2023 at 2:52 PM, NolaAuTiger said:

Eh, the drugs and hookers would've canned him off the Supreme Court. 

Nice evasion.

(And I should point out you also ignored the parameter of my question, which was Hunter profiting off is name.)

But - just to confirm - you're OK with Thomas and his wife accepting money and expensive gifts and not reporting it. 

Edited by homersapien

1 hour ago, homersapien said:

But - just to confirm - you're OK with Thomas and his wife accepting money and expensive gifts and not reporting it.

ProPublica = Potemkin journalism at its finest. 

This is no "scandal," and you damn well know it. 

Your side wants Justice Thomas gone for one, simple reason: He is an originalist. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, NolaAuTiger said:

ProPublica = Potemkin journalism at its finest. 

This is no "scandal," and you damn well know it. 

Your side wants Justice Thomas gone for one, simple reason: He is an originalist. 

Ok. Thanks. You’ve confirmed you’re corrupt as all get out. Thanks for the clarification. I always want to assume most folks are better than they appear. Even a right wing apologist who’s not totally beyond redemption should understand this one. How about you, @SaltyTiger you gonna let me down, too?

And btw, he can’t be removed. He & Trump could literally take Target practice on folks walking down 5th avenue and Republicans would excuse it. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Facepalm 1

30 minutes ago, NolaAuTiger said:

Let's try another sham impeachment! 

Ethics are no match, and certainly of no concern,  for the Federalist Society.  You make Lewis Powell very proud.

If only you were Ivy League.

• Dislike 1

1 hour ago, icanthearyou said:

Ethics are no match, and certainly of no concern,  for the Federalist Society.  You make Lewis Powell very proud.

If only you were Ivy League.

Cite one ethics code, regulation and/or law that you believe Justice Thomas violated. 

Or facepalm me.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Facepalm 1

2 hours ago, NolaAuTiger said:

Cite one ethics code, regulation and/or law that you believe Justice Thomas violated. 

Or facepalm me.

That is exactly the problem.  You need a code to tell you what is ethical/unethical. 

• Like 1