2023 Softball vs LSU

#21  Auburn is hosting  # 13 LSU for a 3-game series at Jane B Moore field April 14-16.

Game 1:  Friday, Apr 14, at 5:00 pm CST will be broadcast on the SEC network

Game 2:  Saturday, Apr 15, at 1:00 pm CST will be streamed on SEC+

Game 3:  Sunday, Apr 16, at 3:00 pm CST will be broadcast on ESPN2

Note:  the rankings above are from the USA Today/Coaches poll. 

Auburn (30-12 overall, 7-5 conference) dropped from #19 to #21 after 2 losses to Florida last weekend. 

LSU (33-8 overall, 6-6 conference) dropped from #12 to #13 after winning 2 against Missouri last weekend.

Top of 1st:  Maddie Penta pitching for AU

• strikeout
  • ground out to pitcher
  • strikeout

Bottom of 1st:  Ali Kilponen pitching for LSU

• Peralta struck out
  • Lisenby beat out an infield ground ball
  • Garcia with a 2 run HR!!!
  • Bryant struck out
  • Ellis flied out

After 1:  Auburn 2 - LSU 0

Oh my gosh ... stupid stupid stupid choice to send her home.  No chance to make it

Could have 1st and 3rd with 1 out.  Now 2nd and 2 outs ugh. 

And that long fly ball would have scored a run.  Dammit Dean. Or Lenti. Whomever is on 3rd.

Edited by AUBwins

Top of 2nd:

• line out
  • base hit
  • pop out
  • ground out

Bottom of 2nd:

• Tresvik walked
  • McCrary popped out
  • Roach base hit - Tresvik with base running error out at home, Roach advanced to 2nd
  • Roach stole 3rd
  • Packer flied out

After 2:  Auburn 2 - LSU 0

Edited by Golden Eagle
  • Thanks 1

Great strikeout, throw out by the Auburn battery.  Lisenby gunned her down. 

Top of 3rd: 

• Redoutey flied out to RF
  • Stewart base hit to shallow RF
  • Coffey struck out
  • Lisenby threw Stewart out trying to steal 2nd

Bottom of 3rd:

• Peralta flied out to CF
  • Lisenby base hit up the middle, Cooper in to run for her
  • Garcia lined out to 2nd base
  • Cooper thrown out trying to get back to 1st as LSU turns a double play

After 3:  Auburn 2 - LSU 0

Top of 4th:

• Briggs base hit to RF
  • Newland bunted - out at 1st but moved Briggs to 2nd
  • Maddie with a wild pitch and Briggs stole 3rd
  • Clark tried (unsuccessfully) to bunt and Briggs took off for home; Lisenby threw to Bryant who chased her and tagged her out
  • Clark struck out

Bottom of 4th:

• Bryant struck out swinging
  • Ellis doubled to the right field wall; Skylar Elkins in to run for Ellis
  • Tresvik struck out swinging
  • McCrary singled into shallow right
  • Elkins scores!!!
  • Roach grounded out to 1st

After 4:  Auburn 3 - LSU 0

Great hitting that inning plates a run! 3-0 Auburn.

Top of 5th:

• Petty struck out swinging
  • Gutierrez grounded out to pitcher
  • Pleasants grounded out to 3rd

Bottom of 5th:

• Packer base hit to LF
  • LSU pulled Kilponen and brought in freshman Alea Johnson to pitch
  • Packer stole 2nd
  • Peralta with a 2-run HR to LF!!!
  • Lisenby grounded out to 1st
  • Garcia grounded out to 3rd
  • Bryant flied out to CF

After 5:  Auburn 5 - LSU 0

Top of 6th:

• Abbie Smith to LF replacing Garcia
  • Redoutey flied out to LF
  • Stewart fouled out to LF
  • Coffey lined out to LF
  • Abbie Smith OWNING left field - 3 great catches!

Bottom of 6th:

• Ellis grounded out to SS
  • Tresvik struck out swinging
  • McCrary fouled out to LF

After 6:  Auburn 5 - LSU 0

Top of 7th:

• Briggs base hit to 2nd
  • Newland 2-run HR to CF
  • Clark grounded out to SS
  • Petty HR to LF
  • Gutierrez ground out to SS
  • Pleasants popped up to CF

Final:  Auburn 5 - LSU 3

Game 1 Summary:

Auburn had 5 runs on 8 hits (2 HRs, 1 double) with 0 errors and 2 batters left on base.  They stole 3 bases.  Maddie Penta pitched all 7 innings; she threw 102 pitches, struck out 5, didn't give up any walks, and gave up 3 earned runs. 

LSU had 3 runs on 6 hits (2 HRs) with 0 errors and 1 batter left on base.  They did not have any stolen bases.  Ali Kilponen pitched 4 innings; she threw 72 pitches, struck out 4, walked 1, and gave up 4 earned runs.  Alea Johnson pitched 2 innings: she threw 25 pitches, struck out 1, didn't give up any walks, and gave up 1 earned run.

Great win for Auburn!  I have been critical of Auburn's batting performance this year but noted during the Florida series that I thought they were more disciplined at the plate - and I thought they were good again tonight.  I'm sure it's easier to be disciplined when you're ahead (and not desperately swinging at everything trying to hit it out of the park) but I hope they will keep up the steady approach.  There were a couple of base running errors tonight (resulting in 2 outs) which, fortunately, didn't determine the outcome of the game.  AU defense was very good tonight.

Here's hoping Auburn's pitcher can keep LSU offense in check tomorrow and give the AU offense a chance to win it.

• Like 1

I really want to know if they sent Tresvik home or she missed a sign.  Out by a mile. Then next batter got a deep fly that would have sacrificed in a run. 

5 hours ago, Golden Eagle said:

Game 1 Summary:

Auburn had 5 runs on 8 hits (2 HRs, 1 double) with 0 errors and 2 batters left on base.  They stole 3 bases.  Maddie Penta pitched all 7 innings; she threw 102 pitches, struck out 5, didn't give up any walks, and gave up 3 earned runs. 

LSU had 3 runs on 6 hits (2 HRs) with 0 errors and 1 batter left on base.  They did not have any stolen bases.  Ali Kilponen pitched 4 innings; she threw 72 pitches, struck out 4, walked 1, and gave up 4 earned runs.  Alea Johnson pitched 2 innings: she threw 25 pitches, struck out 1, didn't give up any walks, and gave up 1 earned run.

Great win for Auburn!  I have been critical of Auburn's batting performance this year but noted during the Florida series that I thought they were more disciplined at the plate - and I thought they were good again tonight.  I'm sure it's easier to be disciplined when you're ahead (and not desperately swinging at everything trying to hit it out of the park) but I hope they will keep up the steady approach.  There were a couple of base running errors tonight (resulting in 2 outs) which, fortunately, didn't determine the outcome of the game.  AU defense was very good tonight.

Here's hoping Auburn's pitcher can keep LSU offense in check tomorrow and give the AU offense a chance to win it.

I agree on the team’s hitting approach as of the past 5 games. We hit the ball hard for the most part in the Florida series, and we definitely hit the ball well against Troy and in Game 1. One thing in particular is we are hitting the ball where it is thrown versus trying to pull everything to left field. If we can get string a few hits together and not be so reliant on the long ball, the team won’t have to press so hard. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, AUBwins said:

Oh my gosh ... stupid stupid stupid choice to send her home.  No chance to make it

I think I'd have sent the runner too. That LSU 2nd baseman made a very unusual play. At the time the runner rounded 3rd, the ball was on the ground rolling away from the fielder toward the outfield. My first thought was easy run at the plate, probably not even a throw home. You won't see a play and throw that good very often.

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Mikey said:

I think I'd have sent the runner too. That LSU 2nd baseman made a very unusual play. At the time the runner rounded 3rd, the ball was on the ground rolling away from the fielder toward the outfield. My first thought was easy run at the plate, probably not even a throw home. You won't see a play and throw that good very often.

I personally thought the fielder was getting it too quickly to run but she may have already been making the turn.  And tresvik is not considered one of our speediest runners.  She was out by half a base path though lol.  Makes you think it was a poor decision.  I do recall thinking during the play it was a mistake before the throw home.  Anyways bang bang decisions. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Jad0003 said:

One thing in particular is we are hitting the ball where it is thrown versus trying to pull everything to left field. If we can get string a few hits together and not be so reliant on the long ball, the team won’t have to press so hard. 

Great observation.  Interestingly enough, when we are hitting what's given to us instead of focusing on long ball, we are getting great contact with the ball and hitting it deep anyways.  Currently we are finding the seams through the infield much better. 

• Like 1

Saw that Florida run-ruled Georgia 13-4 last night.  Skylar Wallace must have had a lot of built-up frustration after facing Maddie Penta last weekend.  She went 4 for 4 last night with a walk and 3 home runs!  Yikes.