Hars vs. Hugh

LPTiger

Hars recruited from the portal a QB with a bum shoulder and Hugh recruited a kid with a 62% completion % and a school record TD passes in a year.    Hars added no olineman and Hugh added what 5?  Pass rush was clearly an issue and Hars did nothing there and Hugh flipped our highest rated recruit, added a veteran and then plucked another from the portal.  I don't think Hars wanted to fail, I just think he was in over his head...  Thoughts?

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

39 minutes ago, LPTiger said:

Hars recruited from the portal a QB with a bum shoulder and Hugh recruited a kid with a 62% completion % and a school record TD passes in a year.    Hars added no olineman and Hugh added what 5?  Pass rush was clearly an issue and Hars did nothing there and Hugh flipped our highest rated recruit, added a veteran and then plucked another from the portal.  I don't think Hars wanted to fail, I just think he was in over his head...  Thoughts?

Only logical explanation he was over his head, unless just really stoopid!

Hugh understands the sec, hars didn't. Some us were fooled, myself included, by the "hard nosed" type coach. But in this realm, you have to know what you're up against, hold the pedal down, and make sure u get the pieces to be able to compete at the top of this conference 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, LPTiger said:

Spot on, which a couple of us tried to point out three years ago, and we were criticized up, one side and down the other for pointing it out.

But you know want, it doesn’t matter, good times ahead!

• Like 5
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, Hopsing said:

Only logical explanation he was over his head, unless just really stoopid!

Both!

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, gr82be said:

All I will say is that we have several members who said they were done with Auburn football when Freeze was hired. They're going to miss some fun Saturdays going forward. Auburn football is back in business...

PhotoGrid_1683372907381.jpg

A couple are already back. It is an exciting time. 

• Like 2

Brother Hugh was working NIL recruiting deals at Ole Miss before there was NIL 😄 and now that NIL is here he is a savage at recruiting. 

Edited by JMWATS
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, JMWATS said:

Brother Hugh was working NIL recruiting deals at Ole Miss before there was NIL 😄 and now that NIL is here he is a savage at recruiting. 

Yeah some of us were concerned  that without that advantage he wouldn't recruit as well, but then again everyone was probably doing it (cough Bowlcut).

Edited by AUwent
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, aucom96 said:

Success in the SEC starts with talent...players. You can have all the wonderful schemes and philosophies you want, but in this league, raw talent will win out over them alone. 

Both Gus and Harsin leaned on their systems. Both said in so many words that their systems would make the players, not the other way around. Both were proven wrong. When Gus had players in the right positions, he had success. When he didn't, we lost. But as bad at roster management as Gus was, he knew he needed talent. Harsin couldn't be bothered to care. 

Harsin got fat at a program that was already built and thriving when he took it over. He had never found himself in a situation where the top teams always had better talent and he had to catch up. He refused to put in that work and he will go down as perhaps Auburn's worst football coach because of it. Hugh Freeze very much understands talent and he appears to be more roster aware than Gus ever was. Regardless of scheme, that's a better foundation to start from. 

Yep . I am surprised harsin made it so far in the collegiate game. He seems like he hates dealing with people and especially young adults. Might as well try to coach at the Pros if this is his approach.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, aucom96 said:

Success in the SEC starts with talent...players. You can have all the wonderful schemes and philosophies you want, but in this league, raw talent will win out over them alone. 

Both Gus and Harsin leaned on their systems. Both said in so many words that their systems would make the players, not the other way around. Both were proven wrong. When Gus had players in the right positions, he had success. When he didn't, we lost. But as bad at roster management as Gus was, he knew he needed talent. Harsin couldn't be bothered to care. 

Harsin got fat at a program that was already built and thriving when he took it over. He had never found himself in a situation where the top teams always had better talent and he had to catch up. He refused to put in that work and he will go down as perhaps Auburn's worst football coach because of it. Hugh Freeze very much understands talent and he appears to be more roster aware than Gus ever was. Regardless of scheme, that's a better foundation to start from. 

Harsin was overconfident in his coaching abilities and was very hard nosed and in way over his head. GM was overconfident that his system of O could beat a top level D and he did a couple of times, but it also became very predictable. To me GM was loyal to certain players to a fault and did not hold them accountable. My hope is that HF falls somewhere in the middle and that good recruits are truly coached well. That will breed success. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, LPTiger said:

Harsin was in way over his head.  Yet he had been successful everywhere else, and I don't think he's stupid.

That whole situation illustrates just how difficult it is being a successful SEC head football coach.  It's not merely a step up from the next lowest level - it's 5 steps up.

• Like 2

Hugh is the opposite of spud in almost every way!  And that is a wonderful thing!!!!

Hugh is basically Gus except more flexible with his offensive system and much much better at recruiting!!!

• Like 3

5 hours ago, DAG said:

Yep . I am surprised harsin made it so far in the collegiate game. He seems like he hates dealing with people and especially young adults. Might as well try to coach at the Pros if this is his approach.

Boise was the near perfect spot for him. They were essentially the #1 G5 school and he could be a dick bc kids on the cuff would come there

• Like 1

In terms of roster-buiding: Gus was spitballing, and Harsin isn't worth discussing. Looks like Freeze is (as well as possible) finding the best pegs to fit in the actual holes. Who knows how well all this is going to go? Hard to say. But up to now- it's optimum. He's crushing it.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Maverick.AU said:

Hugh understands the sec, hars didn't. Some us were fooled, myself included, by the "hard nosed" type coach. But in this realm, you have to know what you're up against, hold the pedal down, and make sure u get the pieces to be able to compete at the top of this conference 

It took someone with enough guts to go after a coach that had a checkered past but was capable of putting a winning football program together.   Hugh has been available for several years but some on here and even some pulling the strings could not stomach having him as a coach.   

As a complete outsider looking in, Harsin appeared to have way too much confidence in his own ability and mostly in his influence. Contrary to what some of y’all want to think, you don’t make it to a D-1 level coaching position by being a complete dumbass.

Pride before the fall? I’ve never seen a better example than him.

Just an outsider’s view.

• Like 4

Jimmy cut Harsin nuts off in February into march no other way to explain it, y'all can act like the guy didn't know what he was doing is a joke! the man was here for a year in a half let's move on.

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1
  • Dislike 1

22 hours ago, AU-24 said:

Spot on, which a couple of us tried to point out three years ago, and we were criticized up, one side and down the other for pointing it out.

But you know want, it doesn’t matter, good times ahead!

The Michigan State quarterback couldn’t plant his foot or rotate like normal. That’s because he was compensating for numerous injuries that impacted his mechanics, along with his effectiveness in the run game. “It’s like having a flat tire,” Thorne said after Michigan State’s final spring practice on April 15.

On 5/5/2023 at 7:24 PM, LPTiger said:

No doubt.

The Michigan State quarterback couldn’t plant his foot or rotate like normal. That’s because he was compensating for numerous injuries that impacted his mechanics, along with his effectiveness in the run game. “It’s like having a flat tire,” Thorne said after Michigan State’s final spring practice on April 15.

3 hours ago, Tiger Refuge said:

As a complete outsider looking in, Harsin appeared to have way too much confidence in his own ability and mostly in his influence. Contrary to what some of y’all want to think, you don’t make it to a D-1 level coaching position by being a complete dumbass.

Pride before the fall? I’ve never seen a better example than him.

Just an outsider’s view.

Huge difference between the SEC and Boise, Idaho.

”don’t make it to D-1 by being a dumbass” 

So how many schools have been beating down his door to hire him? 

Edited by AU-24
  • Like 1