Hars vs. Hugh

LPTiger

2 hours ago, eaglenest said:

Jimmy cut Harsin nuts off in February into march no other way to explain it, y'all can act like the guy didn't know what he was doing is a joke! the man was here for a year in a half let's move on.

Is that why he never visited top high schools in Alabama, Southern Tennessee, Georgia and North Florida? Because the Yella Fella wouldn’t let him?

Also, since he’s such a good coach, go ahead and list the teams that are after him…

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1
  • Facepalm 1

42 minutes ago, AU-24 said:

Huge difference between the SEC and Boise, Idaho.

”don’t make it to D-1 by being a dumbass” 

So how many schools have been beating down his door to hire him? 

Dude. I already said he was in over his head. 

Exactly what is your problem?

edit- I’m out. Have a great night.

Edited by Tiger Refuge

13 hours ago, eaglenest said:

Jimmy cut Harsin nuts off in February into march no other way to explain it, y'all can act like the guy didn't know what he was doing is a joke! the man was here for a year in a half let's move on.

No he didn't

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

13 hours ago, eaglenest said:

Jimmy wasn't a fan because he didn't think Harsin was a good fit at Auburn and he felt Harsin didn't know how to succeed in the SEC.   As it turns out, he was 100% correct on both fronts.   If Jimmy had bought in could it have made a difference?   Maybe.   Harsin knew Jimmy wasn't a fan so Harsin let his pride get in the way and did absolutely nothing to try to build a bridge.  A wiser man would have made every effort to spend time with Jimmy and try to win him over.   This is a microcosm of the reason behind Harsin's failure.    Pride, lack of effort, being foolish, etc. etc.

• Like 4

On 5/5/2023 at 10:28 PM, Maverick.AU said:

Hugh understands the sec, hars didn't. Some us were fooled, myself included, by the "hard nosed" type coach. But in this realm, you have to know what you're up against, hold the pedal down, and make sure u get the pieces to be able to compete at the top of this conference 

Im going to be dead honest. I was fooled as well for the first year and half. I thought AU was good enough to sell itself regardless of coach. I thought the "hard nosed" coach was just what we needed. Looking back on it....I see I was just so burnt on Gus that I would have likely fallen for any coach we hired that was different than Gus.

It was an easy realization once I opened my eyes....not only that I was blinded by my angst for Gus but also that Harson was in over his head. 

I keep going back to the day he was hired. We had heard all these different names and then here it came "Bryan Harsin expected to ink deal as AU's next HC". I felt no excitement. I felt no dread. I felt nothing at all because I had no clue who this guys was or where he came from. First thing I did was Google him. Upon reading of his coaching history...I still really just had a lackadaisical approach until I literally talked myself into supporting the man.

• Like 8

17 hours ago, AU-24 said:

Is that why he never visited top high schools in Alabama, Southern Tennessee, Georgia and North Florida? Because the Yella Fella wouldn’t let him?

Also, since he’s such a good coach, go ahead and list the teams that are after him…

I kind of feel like these two things can both be true. Harsin completely failed his duties in recruiting at an insane level of failure. After the February debacle though, even if he flipped his strategy 180 and hit it hard the road was made much more difficult from that point on. When it was announce he was retained I felt he was dead man walking then. So I think there is truth in both that he was crippled by thart investigation and he was failing miserably anyway so it likely didnt matter. Just my opinion.

• Like 5

38 minutes ago, Tigerpro2a said:

Im going to be dead honest. I was fooled as well for the first year and half. I thought AU was good enough to sell itself regardless of coach. I thought the "hard nosed" coach was just what we needed. Looking back on it....I see I was just so burnt on Gus that I would have likely fallen for any coach we hired that was different than Gus.

It was an easy realization once I opened my eyes....not only that I was blinded by my angst for Gus but also that Harson was in over his head. 

I keep going back to the day he was hired. We had heard all these different names and then here it came "Bryan Harsin expected to ink deal as AU's next HC". I felt no excitement. I felt no dread. I felt nothing at all because I had no clue who this guys was or where he came from. First thing I did was Google him. Upon reading of his coaching history...I still really just had a lackadaisical approach until I literally talked myself into supporting the man.

34 minutes ago, Tigerpro2a said:

I kind of feel like these two things can both be true. Harsin completely failed his duties in recruiting at an insane level of failure. After the February debacle though, even if he flipped his strategy 180 and hit it hard the road was made much more difficult from that point on. When it was announce he was retained I felt he was dead man walking then. So I think there is truth in both that he was crippled by thart investigation and he was failing miserably anyway so it likely didnt matter. Just my opinion.

A much more well worded response than mine was. This is almost exactly how I felt through this whole ordeal.

• Like 3

Probably premature to debate this. Some obvious differences in the two coaches but I’d like to see what Hugh does on the field before I make any comparisons. 

• Like 1

On 5/6/2023 at 7:54 PM, eaglenest said:

He didn’t know what he was doing. His first season (before we tried to fire him) proved he was terrible. Awful coach, terrible recruiter, and the stories that have come out afterwards prove it. Just the worst AU coach ever IMO, and That is saying something considering some of the BBall coaches. 
The reason that we are still talking about this is because we are a shell of a football program because of him. Just about every preseason prediction has us slightly above Vanderbilt and second to last in the SEC (before the most recent portal additions). It is going to take a few years to undo what he did. 

YES he was that bad. He may actually be one of the most hated men in Auburn history. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, gr82b4au said:

He didn’t know what he was doing. His first season (before we tried to fire him) proved he was terrible. Awful coach, terrible recruiter, and the stories that have come out afterwards prove it. Just the worst AU coach ever IMO, and That is saying something considering some of the BBall coaches. 
The reason that we are still talking about this is because we are a shell of a football program because of him. Just about every preseason prediction has us slightly above Vanderbilt and second to last in the SEC (before the most recent portal additions). It is going to take a few years to undo what he did. 

YES he was that bad. He may actually be one of the most hated men in Auburn history. 

Before my time , but I often hear Coach Barfield referenced in that regard. I imagine he is my generation’s Barfield. Someone correct me if I am wrong .

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, DAG said:

Before my time , but I often hear Coach Barfield referenced in that regard. I imagine he is my generation’s Barfield. Someone correct me if I am wrong .

Quick answer:

Barfield was a below average coach but a good recruiter and a great human being. Also Barfield did NOT have a losing record at Auburn. I think he was right at .500 and maybe even a little better. He just never beat Uat. 

No comparison really. Harsin is the worst. 

• Like 5

3 hours ago, DAG said:

Barfield would barf all over this man and make him clean it up! Not even close.

Edited by toddc
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, gr82b4au said:

Get out of here with this garbage, the CLOWN ruined this program with the help of some boosters and fans like yourself, Gus should have been fired 2 years prior to his dismissal. Brian was a marked man from day one all because of who hired him, Brian had to salvage the clown last recruiting class and jimmy made sure that his second one was going to be difficult, Gus was the worst coach to ever walked the sideline, he was a terrible leader of men and was easily influence by people like yourself for not playing a particular player. So you're good with a guy walking out of here with 21 million but the 5 million is just utterly ridiculous?!? those two examples should tell you why Auburn is predicted where you think they will end up# just Auburn being Auburn right? 

now go to bed..

1 hour ago, eaglenest said:

was a terrible leader of men and was easily influence by people like yourself

Obviously you don’t know me and why would you - this is a message board. In truth if you are an AU man (or woman) you want what we all want- for AU to be successful. 
If you did know me and had followed what I have been posting for years on the recruiting board, you would know that I wanted Gus fired years before he was let go. I will always be thankful for his first few years, but it is obvious to any rational AU fan that He was truly the beginning of the horrible mess that we have found ourselves in and should have never been given the extension. 
But instead of correcting the problem he started, we hired the worst excuse for a head coach in AU history… in a hot tub. And we watched him take us from bad to worse and from worse to oblivion. 

And Yea, the board did him no favors obviously with that little charade, but the damage Harsin had already done had propelled us into more futility. They just clumsily tried to get out of the terrible situation with a terrible coach and f’d it up even more with a witch hunt. 

I am not so obtuse to realize that Auburn  didn’t play a part in its own demise, and most people know how I feel about Gus from the recruiting board, but I will not for one second ever believe that Harsin was not to blame for making it worse. He was terrible is so many ways. He was unprepared for what he was getting into in the SEC and took this program from bad (end of Gus years) to depths it has not seen in a very long time. And he was fired as a coach that brought nothing to AU but 2 losing seasons and a lot of anger by 99% of the fanbase. Obviously you fall in the 1%. 

I can’t remember the last time AU was preseason picked next to last in the SEC just ahead of Vandy. 

Edited by gr82b4au
  • Thanks 1

Are we really doing this all over again?? Arguing levels of blame and ineptitude between the Administration, Gus and Harsin?? 
Auburn football is in a low spot and has been for years.

Maybe Hugh does better than the others? Maybe he gets us back to just being average? Maybe he doesn’t. Maybe he blows it with personal mistakes? Maybe he builds the next dynasty program? 

Give it about 3 seasons and we will know 

• Like 1

On 5/5/2023 at 7:13 PM, Hopsing said:

Only logical explanation he was over his head, unless just really stoopid!

Stoopid ? No. The man came in here and took us for millions. Didn't care, didn't want to care, didn't need to care. Just give me my millions and I will go away. And as far as people wanting to hire him maybe the millionaire doesn't want or need a job. He took us for a ride and was paid handsomely. 

13 minutes ago, Hay Field 101 said:

Stoopid ? No. The man came in here and took us for millions. Didn't care, didn't want to care, didn't need to care. Just give me my millions and I will go away. And as far as people wanting to hire him maybe the millionaire doesn't want or need a job. He took us for a ride and was paid handsomely. 

He probably has a podcast somewhere on “How to Ruin a Football Program and Get Rich Doing It “!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Hay Field 101 said:

Sorry dude. A person doesn’t move their family away from their life long home town and job because they want to ruin a program. 

It didn’t work out for a list of reasons. 

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, passthebiscuits said:

The answer is much simpler…motivation.

Harsin came in with the mindset that his coaching would compensate for any lack of talent. He honestly thought that with sheer toughness and grit that he could Remember the Titans us into some wins. He did win at LSU and nearly beat Bama. That was with reasonable talent left on the team. Other than that, he was genuinely unmotivated to work off the clock. He would prefer to do…other things let’s say.

Freeze wasn’t my first pick. But dang is he motivated. Maybe it’s his legacy or how he is viewed in the sec or how his last major gig ended, but he is on a mission. He could always recruit, and he is genuine and straightforward. He works tirelessly on recruiting. He trusts his system and his coaches still to get him the Ws, but he knows he can’t count on toughness to win if he doesn’t have the players to do it. 

the difference is night and day. Truthfully, Hars is a good coach. He will be successful somewhere and Auburn was just a terrible match…anything anyone other than Alan Greene could have noticed on an interview. For the love. Anyway.

my mantra I’m telling people about Auburn now is “mess around and find out!” Don’t mess with auburn. We are an 8 win team next year with potential for 9. Then the next year…we are talking names. 

Well said PTB

• Like 2

19 hours ago, GreenTiger said:

Sorry dude. A person doesn’t move their family away from their life long home town and job because they want to ruin a program. 

It didn’t work out for a list of reasons. 

Ok dude, His first installment payment was  $7,792,138.44     He has 4 more installments coming this year. You can believe that "life long hometown" touchy feely stuff if you want. He made and still is making millions off of us. And people move their families all over the world for money opportunities. Everyone has their own agenda.

sorry for the font size, I couldn't get it to go back to normal. 

Edited by Hay Field 101
font size was to big
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, toddc said:

He probably has a podcast somewhere on “How to Ruin a Football Program and Get Rich Doing It “!

He would be the one to tell you that is for sure.