Corey Williams Set To Be New Mens Assistant Coach

toddc

Auburn basketball finalizing deal to hire Texas Tech assistant Corey Williams

Justin Hokanson•about 1 hour

Corey Williams (Photo by Getty Images)

AUBURN — Auburn basketball and Texas Tech assistant coach Corey Williams are finalizing a deal that will bring Williams to Auburn to join Bruce Pearl’s staff and replace the departed Wes Flanigan, Auburn Live has learned.

The hiring and announcement appear imminent as of Friday morning. Corey Williams will join Steven Pearl and Ira Bowman as the third full-time on and off-campus assistant coach on Pearl’s staff.

Auburn Live reported on April 17 that Williams was the frontrunner and an announcement was expected soon.Pearl conducted numerous interviews since Flanigan’s departure, making a relatively quick decision to hire Williams. 

Williams has spent the last two seasons at Texas Tech. The previous two seasons, Williams coached at Arkansas under head coach Eric Musselman.

The news comes less than two weeks after Auburn Live broke the news regarding Flanigan leaving for a position on Chris Beard’s staff at Ole Miss.

JOIN AUBURN LIVE FOR $7/MONTH RIGHT NOW

The rest of the Auburn support staff is expected to remain unchanged, featuring Chad Prewett (Director of Operations/Chief of Staff), Mike Burgomaster (Recruiting Coordinator/Assistant to the Head Coach), Marquis Daniels (Director of Player Development), Ian Borders (Video Coordinator), Damon Davis (Director of Sports Performance), Clark Pearson (Senior Athletic Trainer) and Maddux Jeffreys (Assistant Director of Operations), Geoff Gray (Grad Assistant) and Bryant Smith (Student Assistant).

However, there could be more additions to the basketball coaching staff before next season. In January, the NCAA approved the ability for basketball programs to hire two new full-time on-campus assistant positions. That change will go into effect on July 1 of 2023.

More about Williams 

A star player at Oklahoma State from 1989-92 and member of the 1993 NBA Champion Chicago Bulls, Williams most recently worked as an assistant coach at the University of Arkansas the past two seasons after being the head coach at Stetson University for six.

A Macon, Georgia native, Williams played point guard at Oklahoma State and had a lengthy career as a professional player before embarking on his coaching career. Williams was a second-round draft pick of the Chicago Bulls and was also selected by the Kansas City Chiefs in the 12th round of the 1992 NFL Draft despite not having played football since junior high.

At OSU, Corey Williams played for Hall of Fame coach Eddie Sutton and was a teammate of Sean Sutton who is entering his fifth season on the Texas Tech staff. Along with playing for Sutton, Williams has worked with Phil Jackson, Bill Self, Leonard Hamilton and Eric Musselman during his career as a player and assistant coach.

At Arkansas, Williams helped lead a resurgence where the Razorbacks went 45-19 in his two seasons including reaching the Elite 8 last season. Williams helped Arkansas land the fifth-best recruiting class in the nation for 2020 that led to the program advancing to the Elite 8 where its season ended after an 81-72 loss to eventual national champion Baylor. The Razorbacks eliminated the Red Raiders from the tournament with a 68-66 win in the second round to reach the Sweet 16.

Coaching Experience
1993-94: Student Assistant, Oklahoma State
2000-07: Assistant Coach, Oral Roberts
2007-13: Assistant Coach, Florida State
2013-19: Head Coach, Stetson (58-133, 6 seasons)
2019-21: Assistant Coach, Arkansas
2021-current: Assistant Coach, Texas Tech

Playing Experience
1989-92: Oklahoma State
1992-93: Chicago Bulls
1993-94: Oklahoma City Cavalry
1994: Minnesota Timberwolves
1994-95: Grand Rapids Mackers
1995-98: DaCin 

Edited by toddc
  • Like 1
  • Love 4

Seems like this needs to happen quick!  Lack of Wes is hurting us

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• toddc changed the title to Corey Williams Set To Be New Mens Assistant Coach
Just now, AUINSY said:

This is great news. Hopefully he can get Philon back on board.

Or help land another of the highly rated SGs we are in on.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Sorry about what?

I posted it first anyway and he’s trying to steal my glory! 😝 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, toddc said:

I posted it first anyway and he’s trying to steal my glory! 😝 

Here is some Glory from me

glitter-surprise.gif

• Haha 2

Hoke just put out an article saying we are about to officially hire Corey Williams from TT. Hopefully we are able to pull Taylor from the portal.

i stole this from the rant so take it with a grain of salt. if it is old news my apologies

2 minutes ago, gravejd said:

Looks like a great hire on paper. Welcome coach Williams. Now let’s get this team rebuilt!

Gonna be a huge boost for recruiting 

• Like 3
  • Love 2

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

Sorry about what?

Kinda got the impression from you that it wasn't ready to be public yet.

• Love 1

2 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Kinda got the impression from you that it wasn't ready to be public yet.

It wasn't, but I was trying to throw smoke about me telling you last week.  Oh well. 😁

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, bigbird said:

It wasn't, but I was trying to throw smoke about me telling you last week.  Oh well. 😁

Over My Head GIFs | Tenor

• Love 1
  • Haha 1

Whole thread on it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, toddc said:

Whole thread on it.

yes i saw and dammit i looked and still missed it. i am going to delete the other thread.

1 hour ago, aubiefifty said:

yes i saw and dammit i looked and still missed it. i am going to delete the other thread.

@ellitor already moved it I think 

Edited by toddc
  • Like 2

DB4514EC-33D8-497D-A43D-7CAE02D295EF.jpeg

• Haha 2

3A09032D-3050-4759-96BA-DBA0C52C9073.jpeg

• Like 1

9CB3AEAA-BC52-4BA0-B05E-1A66E7B582B4.gif

10F8C271-A3B3-4130-8E04-026C0E6EB692.gif

771BE79A-2CC2-49C9-8783-916C93A55FC5.gif

• Like 1
  • Love 1