5.19.23 Football Articles

aubiefifty

Multiple Auburn athletes given indefinite suspensions

Updated: May. 18, 2023, 8:06 p.m.|Published: May. 18, 2023, 7:27 p.m.

1–2 minutes

By

Nubyjas Wilborn | nwilborn@al.com

An Auburn University spokesperson issued a statement Thursday afternoon confirming suspensions of individuals who were in violation of Auburn Athletics department rules.

An Auburn University source told AL.com the suspensions are related to a video that surfaced on social media and was later removed. The school did not say how many people were suspended, who they were, what their role is within the Auburn athletic department or the nature of the video.

“We are aware of the situation and take this matter very seriously,” the University said via email. “The appropriate offices are conducting a thorough review. Indefinite suspensions have been issued for violation of applicable Auburn Athletics department policy. No further comment will be provided at this time.”

This story will be updated as more information becomes available.

If you purchase a product or register for an account through one of the links on our site, we may receive compensation.

Edited by aubiefifty

Despite changes, Auburn football's Hugh Freeze won't admit he's 'closed the gap' just yet

Richard Silva, Montgomery Advertiser

4–5 minutes

AUBURN — With the exception of what Deion Sanders is doing at Colorado, only a handful of teams have been more active in the transfer portal this offseason than Auburn football.

From the Big Ten to the Sun Belt, the Tigers have added 18 transfers since coach Hugh Freeze was hired in November, with the most notable addition being former Michigan State quarterback Payton Thorne, who committed and signed to Auburn on May 5.

Thorne, who took a visit to the Plains before pledging to play for Freeze in 2023, is already on campus.

"It's vital that he gets in," Freeze said at an AMBUSH event in LaGrange, Georgia, on Wednesday. "Man, he didn't wait. He's already in there watching film on his own and learning stuff. He's anxious to get with the team and start working out."

PAYTON THORNE 'People want to follow him': What Auburn football is getting in transfer quarterback

LATEST ADDITIONS: What Auburn football's Hugh Freeze said about transfers Jyaire Shorter, Larry Nixon III

But Thorne's eagerness to get to work, coupled with the other newcomers from the portal, isn't enough to convince Freeze the Tigers are up to snuff with the rest of the conference, particularly their next-door neighbors.

Auburn is, obviously, sandwiched between arguably the two top programs in the sport in back-to-back national champion Georgia and perennial contender Alabama. While the Tigers have toiled, their closest counterparts have reached new heights.

"I know there's a lot of excitement right now with what we've done recruiting," Freeze said. "And I'm thrilled about that. I'm excited. But also, I think it's too early to tell how much we've closed the gap on the ones that we have to close the gap on. The one thing I know is that I feel confident in saying that we've improved our roster. How much? I don't think we'll know until we play some games."

Of the 18 players the Tigers have landed from the portal, 10 are coming from schools outside the Power Five, recently highlighted by North Texas transfers wide receiver Jyaire Shorter and linebacker Larry Nixon III. Both joined the Mean Green in the Class of 2018 and had career-best seasons in 2022.

The question now becomes: How well will those players coming from a perceived lower level of competition fare in the SEC?

"I don't really care where they come from," Freeze said. "Here's my question: Do they improve our roster? When I'm watching the film, that's the question for me. I don't care where they played at. Do they improve our roster currently? And if we have a spot and they improve our roster, then we need to go on it."

The mass arrival of newcomers − Auburn also is set to bring in 19 recruits in the Class of 2023 and two players from junior college − opens the door for some competition. Freeze believes Nixon could push for a starting job, and some of the transfers that went through spring practice with the Tigers already seem to be carving out roles in the starting lineup.

Robby Ashford, who started nine games at quarterback for Auburn in 2022, is handling the addition of Thorne well, according to Freeze.

"I don't know of any that I saw that were real signs of, 'Hey, I'm being done wrong.' That's just the wrong mentality," Freeze said. "That's not real in this league, or in any league, to be candid. We coaches want to win, also. We want to build men, I hope that doesn't get lost in this craziness of the new college football world, but it's still about competition."

With the transfer portal closed until December (except for graduate transfers), Freeze doesn't see much more movement for the Tigers, aside from what they already have in motion.

"We've got one more (portal target) coming in (for a visit) Friday and Saturday," Freeze said. "We've got one more coming in. We had one today that just left. I hope that's about it. But I wouldn't say that it is, because who knows? ...

"I think we're close to being at the end."

Richard Silva is the Auburn athletics beat writer for the Montgomery Advertiser. He can be reached via email at rsilva@gannett.com or on Twitter @rich_silva18.

This article originally appeared on Montgomery Advertiser: Auburn football: Have Tigers closed the gap on the SEC?

• Like 1

247sports.com

Auburn AD John Cohen Everythings been on the table for JordanHare upgrades

Nathan King

~4 minutes

LAGRANGE, Georgia — John Cohen has placed an emphasis on facility upgrades across the board since arriving as Auburn’s athletic director in the fall.

So when will Jordan-Hare Stadium get a facelift?

Just last month, Auburn’s board of trustees approved a $6 million project to improve the quality of Pat Dye Field. But for several years now, renovations and a possible expansion of the Tigers’ home football venue have been waffled over by Auburn’s leadership — particularly adding to the north end zone, which is the lowest of the four sides of the stadium and sits opposite a recently expanded south end zone and the jumbotron.

“Everything's been on the table in terms of facility updates, and the north end zone is something that has come up conversationally between myself and (Auburn president) Dt. Roberts,” Cohen said Wednesday before Auburn’s AMBUSH alumni event in LaGrange. “I'd say we're just very much in the research phase of that, looking at the history of that. I do think that there are many parts of Jordan-Hare that can be updated, worked on. It's one of the great, if not the best, game day atmosphere in college football, but you're always looking to improve the experience for the fan.” 

Per the materials from the board’s meeting in April, “the intent of this project is to improve field drainage, resod the field, modify the perimeter of the field for improved access and circulation, and modernize the on-field electrical and communications infrastructure.”

The project is set to begin after the conclusion of Auburn’s 2023 season and be completed prior to the 2024 A-Day spring game.

Back in 2015, the board proposed renovations to the north end zone, estimated at $145 million. The athletic department spent $100,000 on the planning process before former athletic director Jay Jacobs put the project “on hold” in 2016. The previous football season was when Auburn unveiled what was then the largest video board in the country, valued at $13.9 million.

The stadium’s most recent major renovation came ahead of the 2018 season, when the new recruiting center was opened outside the south end zone, along with the David E. Housel Press Box, the team’s locker room was expanded, and two additional levels of club space amenities and lounge spaces were added.

In Sept. 2017, a $6.3 million video board for the north end zone was approved by the board before it was removed from the agenda and ultimately the university’s list of upcoming projects two months later by former Auburn president Steven Leath.

While still in the relative early stages of planning for Jordan-Hare Stadium’s future, in his seventh month on the job, Cohen seems keen to lay down a roadmap soon to address a number of facets in the stadium, not just the north end zone. 

“Obviously our students section is tremendous, and we want to accentuate that,” Cohen said. “We want to accentuate the premium opportunities. There have been some things that have happened around the country in terms of making upper decks and seating better for the fans, and we're going to look into that, as well. But right now, I'd say it's a lot of data-gathering, a lot of informational-gathering.

“But I feel like the future's really bright for what Jordan-Hare could look like.”

• Thanks 1

Auburn adds tackling machine in transfer LB Larry Nixon III

Nathan King
~4 minutes

LAGRANGE, Georgia — For an Auburn linebacking corps that lost its top tackler from the past two seasons, one of the most productive players at the Group of Five level was a welcome addition via the transfer ranks.

The Tigers’ most recent defensive addition in the portal Tuesday provides another jolt of experience to what is, for the most part, a relatively unproven linebacker room under first-year position coach Josh Alrdridge. North Texas’ Larry Nixon III brings 245 career tackles to Auburn’s defense as a grad transfer, including 105 tackles last season.

“Larry Nixon is a tackling machine,” Hugh Freeze said Wednesday before an Auburn AMBUSH alumni event in LaGrange.

A first team All-Conference USA pick last year, Nixon appeared in 40 games playing for North Texas in his home state. Between Nixon, Ole Miss transfer Austin Keys and LSU transfer DeMario Tolan, Auburn added 2,474 career snaps and 306 tackles to its linebacking corps this offseason.

New coordinator Ron Roberts and Aldridge reiterated in spring practice that Auburn wants at least four capable ‘backers to consistently rotate every game. Keys and Wesley Steiner settled into the middle linebacker spot, while Nixon seems to be a fit for the weakside along with Cam Riley; only 12.7 percent of Nixon’s snaps last season came at middle linebacker, per Pro Football Focus.

And after studying Nixon’s tape, Freeze wouldn’t be surprised if Nixon is an immediate factor for Roberts’ unit this fall.

“Just his passion — the way he ran to the football and the way he's a solid tackler,” Freeze said of what he and the staff saw in Nixon as a transfer prospect. “You just can't have enough of those guys. And I think he's going to come in and compete for a starting position, I really do.”

Auburn is now up to 18 transfer additions this cycle, good for the No. 3-rated class by 247Sports. Nixon marks the 10th pickup for the Tigers from the Group of Five. He’s also part of the second set of teammates, as he and former North Texas receiver Jyaire Shorter both committed Tuesday, with former Tulsa offensive linemen Dillon Wade and Jaden Muskrat on the other side of the ball.

“I don't really care where they come from,” Freeze said. “Here's my question: Do they improve our roster?”

Freeze and his staff have patch-worked several positions of need via the transfer portal, and a salvaged 2023 signing class helps the roster outlook, too. But Freeze knows Auburn is still a long way from getting its roster back to the healthy, consistent state that competes for championships.

“I know there's a lot of excitement right now with what we've done recruiting,” Freeze said. “And I'm thrilled about that. I'm excited. But also, I think it's too early to tell how much we've closed the gap on the ones that we have to close the gap on. The one thing I know is that I feel confident in saying that we've improved our roster. How much? I don't think we'll know until we play some games.

“But when I'm watching the film, that's the question for me — I don't care where they played at. Do they improve our roster currently? And if we have a spot and they improve our roster, then we need to go on it.”

• Thanks 1

saturdaydownsouth.com

ESPN analyst evaluates Hugh Freeze’s work on the recruiting trail so far

Spenser Davis
~3 minutes

Hugh Freeze is off to a good start as Auburn’s head coach.

His work on the recruiting trail has been impressive during his first few months on the job. On Thursday morning, ESPN’s Tom VanHaaren published an analysis of every first-year head coaches’ performance on the recruiting trail so far.

Freeze has cast a wide net with the transfer portal, adding 18 players so far. He also helped Auburn sign 2 of its top prospects in the class of 2023: 4-star defensive lineman Keldric Faulk and 4-star cornerback Kayin Lee.

Here’s some analysis on Freeze’s work so far, via VanHaaren:

Freeze finished the 2023 cycle strong and added quality pieces that should improve the Tigers’ roster immediately. Auburn is also in the mix for a few big 2024 recruits as well, including five-star athlete K.J. Bolden (No. 15) and wide receiver Cameron Coleman (No. 7), who both have the Tigers in their top lists.

As VanHaaren noted, how the 2024 class finishes out will be crucial for Freeze’s success moving forward. Auburn currently has 5 commitments in that class so far.

For the 2023 season, Auburn will be hoping to take a step forward in Year 1 under Freeze. Last season, Auburn missed bowl eligibility for the first time since 2012.

yahoo.com

Trustee Jimmy Rane on what Auburn football coach Hugh Freeze took over: 'Cupboard was pretty bare'

Richard Silva, Montgomery Advertiser

3–4 minutes

MONTGOMERY — Auburn football coach Hugh Freeze has been making the rounds at various events in and around the Plains since getting hired in November. His latest stop? Trustee Jimmy Rane's annual charity banquet at the Renaissance Hotel on Thursday.

Rane, who has been a member of AU's Board of Trustees since 1999 and is one of the university's most prominent boosters, gave his take on how Freeze has been handling the switch from Liberty to Auburn.

"He's really hit the ground running; he's worked 24 hours (a day)," Rane said. "The poor guy is working himself to death. But his cupboard was pretty bare."

PAYTON THORNE: 'People want to follow him': What Auburn football is getting in transfer quarterback

TRANSFER PORTAL: What Auburn football's Hugh Freeze said about transfers Jyaire Shorter, Larry Nixon III

FRESHMAN: Why Trent Dilfer said Auburn football QB Hank Brown has 'all the skills' to reach the NFL

"No athletes?" asked former Steelers quarterback Terry Bradshaw, who was sitting next to Rane. "How'd that happen?"

"Well," Rane hesitated, "that's another story."

Asked to expand on that, Rane shifted the conversation back to Freeze.

"He's done a great job," Rane said. "He's working hard, and he's gotten some good players."

Getting those players has been what's impressed Rane most.

"Recruiting," Rane said when asked what the biggest difference is with Freeze at the helm. "He understands recruiting. He has recruited non-stop. He understands that to recruit, you've got to get out. You have to go see the players. You have to go see the mamas and the daddies and their coaches.

"They have to know you care about them and you want to help them be successful. You can't sit back and not engage with them. That's the biggest difference."

Rane's foundation awarded 60 scholarships Thursday night, bringing its total over the last 22 years to 620.

"These are all kids that really need help," Rane said. "We call them the kids in the middle. ... You go to any college campus anywhere, you'll find kids waiting tables and working in stores (while) trying to go to school. That's who we're trying to help."

At his banquet last year, Rane denied any booster involvement in the investigation into former coach Bryan Harsin, as well any football-related decisions. Rane and the board hired Chris Roberts to be the university's next president in May 2022. Roberts tabbed John Cohen to be AU's athletics director late last year, and Cohen hired Freeze to lead the football program a month later.

"He hasn't played a game yet, so he's undefeated and unscored-on," Rane said of Freeze. "But I love him. I think he's going to do a great job. I really like him. I think he fits Auburn well."

Richard Silva is the Auburn athletics beat writer for the Montgomery Advertiser. He can be reached via email at rsilva@gannett.com or on Twitter @rich_silva18.

This article originally appeared on Montgomery Advertiser: Trustee Jimmy Rane on what Hugh Freeze took over: 'Cupboard was pretty bare'

• Thanks 1

Payton Thorne wasted no time arriving on campus

Daniel Locke
~3 minutes

c9c7c799af72048766fb6ba16cd781a8

Former Michigan State Spartans quarterback Payton Thorne did not waste any time getting to the Plains after announcing his decision to transfer to Auburn. Head coach Hugh Freeze confirmed this week that Thorne is already on campus.

In an article from the Opelika-Auburn News written by Adam Cole, Freeze speaks on Thorne’s arrival.

“Man, he didn’t wait,” Freeze said of Thorne. “He’s already in there watching film on his own and learning stuff. He’s anxious to get with the team and start working out.”

The article also included a quote from Freeze on what Thorne brings to the table for the Auburn offense.

“I know that everybody — we talk more about his stats or whatever — but I think that this football team at Auburn right now has missed some leadership, particularly on the offensive side,” Freeze said. “To get that in that room, I think only elevates everybody. The more good leaders you put around them, the more you get them to model that. I feel like he’s a mature leader that knows how to prepare.”

Thorne went 242-387 for 2,679 yards and 19 touchdowns last season.

The article also included a quote from Freeze on how Robby Ashford, the quarterback who started for Auburn most of last season, has handled the addition of Thorne.

“Robby’s handling things extremely well,” Freeze said. “I’m proud of him for that. Every team at this level is going to have competition at every position if you want to be good. You’re going to have four quarterbacks; we’re not the only ones. Everybody’s going to have them, and we’ve got to go compete and figure out what’s best for our football team. I think it’s vital that all of our quarterbacks are doing a lot this summer to prepare.”

The quarterback battle will be a point of focus for the Tigers throughout the summer. Redshirt freshman Holden Geriner will also be competing with Thorne and Ashford.

• Like 1

• aubiefifty changed the title to 5.19.23 Football Articles

• Haha 2

• Haha 1