PGA player Billy Horschel and baseball last night

I don't know if any of you (Golf excluded) saw the interview where top 50 PGA player broke into some tears while taking about his game.   In one year he has gone from winning the Memorial Tournament to shooting an opening round 82 in the same tournament this year.   I doubt his swing has suddenly changed and that accounts for a 10-15 shot swing.   Seeing him break down suggests to me that the cause of the problem is two ugly words -- self doubt.   Self doubt is awful.    It can be debilitating -- I can't find a soul-mate, I can't kick this addiction, I can't make this sale, I can't pass this course, I can't putt anymore, I can't hit a slider, I can't, I can't, I can't.   Baseball is often called a game of failure.   A CEO who misses earnings 7 out of 10 times wouldn't make it to 10.    A surgeon who loses 7 out of 10 patients couldn't afford med mal insurance.   A weatherman who misses -- well that is a different story.   Imagine failing 7 out of 10 times a being considered really good.   The best players are the one's who strike out 3 times straight and approaching the 4th at bat is 100% confident that they will never go 0 for 4.   It takes a special person to carry that mindset through 60 or 162 baseball games.   Some of our better hitters last night looked to have some self doubt.  One in particular took some really slow walks from home to the dugout after striking out.  He appeared to be asking himself "how am I missing" instead of "I can't wait to get back up."   One of our team leaders who has struggled all year took two walks last night.  He did not seem confident at all.  Irish was different.  On each of his strikeouts he stomped back to the dugout.   He was royally pissed.   Baseball is the only thing, really in my life that ever caused me to have self-doubt.   Ben McDonald can do that to you.   As I said earlier, it is awful to experience.  I say that from experience. It can get in your head and really mess with you.  I'm hoping all our kids today can flush last night and flush any self-doubts.  I saw where someone in a post said he/she hopes Butch "really chewed some a__" last night.    There is a time for that --  no doubt.    I don't think last night called for that.   I think last night called for something like "for 15 games at the end the year you were the best players, the best team, in America.   Don't take my word for it look at what the committee awarded you.   Look at your record.   Look at your stats.   I wouldn't trade you for any others.   I don't doubt you, so you don't doubt you.   You ARE the best team in America.   Now go play like it.    And, Billy you are one of the best, go play like it.    

• Like 3

Yeah that was hard to watch. Bring back memories for me...... as a golfer the mental game is 90% of golf once you reach a certain level of play and especially being mostly an individual game. It happens to every good golfer, to one extent or another, the feeling you've lost your game. Another thing to take into consideration for a guy like Billy this his living and a way to take care of his family. So much pressure you put on yourself its unbelievable while standing over a 4 ft putt to make the cut so you do make money. 

A little story........ the worst year I had playing golf after college was when I was 26 years old couldn't break 70 to save my life. Golfers are suckers we/I will try everything invented to get back to normal. I got so frustrated with my play I started to hate to play. So I took a year off didn't pick up a club or watch any golf even the Masters. Save my golf game  I could go on and on about golf but enough of that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

17 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

Yeah that was hard to watch. Bring back memories for me...... as a golfer the mental game is 90% of golf once you reach a certain level of play and especially being mostly an individual game. It happens to every good golfer, to one extent or another, the feeling you've lost your game. Another thing to take into consideration for a guy like Billy this his living and a way to take care of his family. So much pressure you put on yourself its unbelievable while standing over a 4 ft putt to make the cut so you do make money. 

A little story........ the worst year I had playing golf after college was when I was 26 years old couldn't break 70 to save my life. Golfers are suckers we/I will try everything invented to get back to normal. I got so frustrated with my play I started to hate to play. So I took a year off didn't pick up a club or watch any golf even the Masters. Save my golf game  I could go on and on about golf but enough of that.

That interview shows his strength as a man.    So many would not do that interview.    How can you not be a fan of Billy?

• Like 1