Best streaming service for the season?

TigerHorn

On 8/14/2023 at 7:17 PM, HAYinthemiddleoftheBARN said:

Possibly fubo. Just looked into it and thinking about signing up. Not sure how much it costs but I'm Not wanting to rely on the "free" sites like ustvgo... which isn't available to me anymore. Anyone try fubo before? Let me know.

I switched.from YouTube TV to fubo briefly to get Bally Sports (they're the only pure streaming service who has that network and -at the time - the only place to get Braves/United games without blackouts in/near Atlanta.)

As it turns out, fubo is also missing the networks that carry the NCAA tournament (USA, trutv, etc.) so I switched back.

Now I'm getting MLS games through apple TV+.

And I like YouTube TV well enough to keep it for everything else, including auburn football, for all the reasons mentioned above.

Fubo is a bit pricier, esp the higher tiers.

I wouldn't bother with the crazy 4k addon with YouTube TV, fyi. Not enough channels and they tend to be jumpier streams (and, yes, my Internet is fast and my devices are wired, not on WiFi).

That's my $0.02.

On 8/15/2023 at 11:39 AM, woodford said:

Should be able to use your YouTube login on the ESPN app and watch ESPN+. I don't have it but that's how it works for Hulu.

I have ESPN+ through the Disney/Hulu/ESPN bundle, but I sign in with *both* my provider account AND my ESPN+ account in their app (it's easy to miss that you can do both in the settings) to make sure I have access to everything.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, looney said:

I switched.from YouTube TV to fubo briefly to get Bally Sports (they're the only pure streaming service who has that network and -at the time - the only place to get Braves/United games without blackouts in/near Atlanta.)

As it turns out, fubo is also missing the networks that carry the NCAA tournament (USA, trutv, etc.) so I switched back.

Now I'm getting MLS games through apple TV+.

And I like YouTube TV well enough to keep it for everything else, including auburn football, for all the reasons mentioned above.

Fubo is a bit pricier, esp the higher tiers.

I wouldn't bother with the crazy 4k addon with YouTube TV, fyi. Not enough channels and they tend to be jumpier streams (and, yes, my Internet is fast and my devices are wired, not on WiFi).

That's my $0.02.

Completely insane you can't watch the Braves (or anything on Bally Sports) on Hulu or YouTube. How do you not get your product on the biggest streaming services? Mind-blowing that people in that position can be that stupid. I hate it lol

On 8/14/2023 at 8:10 PM, TigerHorn said:

We tried Fubo before, and it was pretty bad - lots of drops and pauses. Got rid of it before the season ended. Their stock price has imploded, not sure how long they will be with us. 

Ok thanks 

I like fubo. Big Braves so was pretty much only option. Someone mentioned ncaab tournament coverage, fubo carries cbs and tbs so can still get some games and all final 4

On 8/14/2023 at 10:18 PM, TigerHorn said:

That's the problem I have. I don't like paying for 100 channels I won't use on ANY service. I want ESPN and their companion channels, that's it, but there is no way to get only ESPN that I can find. 

I bet that changes in the near future, especially if Disney sells them off.  NFL+ just added NFL Network and NFL Redzone in a package without needing a provider subscription. I bet ESPN ends up going that route since they are going to price themselves off the providers trying to make up for the lack of subscribers.  They are bleeding money and need to do something. 

2 hours ago, TigerPAC said:

While on this topic…..is the Umass game on any network to watch?   I’ve heard conflicting info 

Every game can be watched somewhere these days.  I bet SEC+

14 hours ago, TigerPAC said:

While on this topic…..is the Umass game on any network to watch?   I’ve heard conflicting info 

Game will be broadcast on ESPN at 2:30

My go to source for TV broadcast network and starting time. 

http://www.lsufootball.net/tvschedule.htm

• Like 1

On 8/17/2023 at 8:40 PM, AUBwins said:

NFL+ just added NFL Network and NFL Redzone in a package without needing a provider subscription.

Didn't realize this. Very interesting.

And you're right. I'm sure the service providers are doing everything they can to hang on to the ESPN/ABC family of live sports because if (when) it becomes standalone I'm saying goodbye to <insert provider name here>.

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, looney said:

Didn't realize this. Very interesting.

And you're right. I'm sure the service providers are doing everything they can to hang on to the ESPN/ABC family of live sports because if (when) it becomes standalone I'm saying goodbye to <insert provider name here>.

Oh absolutely.  Endless cycle that is about to run its course.  ESPN knows providers need them, and keep raising the rights.  Providers cave at the end and pay it, but then lose customers to the pay rates.  Would argue that the majority of the astronomical prices of cable/satellite providers are due to sports being carried, mostly ESPN. And their content overall sucks so bad now.  But they have the live sports stranglehold. 

I will add the NFL+deal is ridiculously overpriced as well.  $40 for just the NFL Network addon, $80 to have the Redzone with it! These are the 1 time fees.  Can do $6/$16 a month if you prefer.   Last year, they had a mobile only version of Redzone for $35. Discovered it at the end of the season so was going to wait until this year.  I would pay a 1 time $35 for Redzone (great for FF players). But with this new deal, they are currently not offering only Redzone.  Pretty frustrated about it lol.  Heck if they would offer Redzone instead of Network, I'd do it for $40.

2 hours ago, toddc said:

My son tried all the streaming services and kept one , but went back to cable as soon as it reached his new home. Like me , he's a football junkie and we can watch one game and keep up with two more on cable. It's the only reason I keep cable , but I can't give it up til streaming catches up. That and buffering sucks.

10 minutes ago, JuscAUse! said:

My son tried all the streaming services and kept one , but went back to cable as soon as it reached his new home. Like me , he's a football junkie and we can watch one game and keep up with two more on cable. It's the only reason I keep cable , but I can't give it up til streaming catches up. That and buffering sucks.

I have very little buffering. Plus I can watch anything from my recordings, or live tv, on my phone anywhere at any time. YouTube also allows you to watch several games at once on a divided screen.

Edited by toddc

Just now, toddc said:

I have very little buffering. Plus I can watch anything from my recordings, or live tv, on my phone anywhere at any time. 

You probably don't have cataracts ,  either.😄

Just now, JuscAUse! said:

You probably don't have cataracts ,  either.😄

Not anymore! Got them fixed last year.

32 minutes ago, toddc said:

Not anymore! Got them fixed last year.

I had LASIK surgery years ago , and the optometrist assured me it will still be good when and if they do the cataracts. So I told him to fix them. He said they aren't ready yet. Only in old age can something be screwed up, but not screwed up enough to repair. Geesh....

Just signed up to sling 1 month trial for 31$ orange package with sports upgrade 55$ a month total after trial. Seems really good!!

4 hours ago, tbone4jc said:

Just signed up to sling 1 month trial for 31$ orange package with sports upgrade 55$ a month total after trial. Seems really good!!

This is my go-to every year, then cancel after the bowl games.  Lather, rinse, repeat annually, unless the B-Ball team is doing well, then I wait to cancel.

• Like 1

I'm still going with YouTubeTV. Not just for sports, but for everything else. It is the cable replacement, but less expensive.

• Like 1

YouTube tv also has multi -view and you can watch up to four games at once. You can switch volume from one to the other easily.

• Like 1

On 8/17/2023 at 9:02 AM, woodford said:

Completely insane you can't watch the Braves (or anything on Bally Sports) on Hulu or YouTube. How do you not get your product on the biggest streaming services? Mind-blowing that people in that position can be that stupid. I hate it lol

youtube tv has shown like two braves games i am aware of since i have had them and it has been about three months or more. i am getting rid of hulu because they donot have the sec network.

here is an option i swiped from the rant. take it with a grain of salt or not. just trying to help.........

Get yourself an IPTV and step into the 21st century. I use Eternal TV but there are many to choose from. My IPTV player app on android is, Tivimate. On Apple I use IPTVX.

For around $10 a month you get every cable channel on Earth. Never miss a sporting event again including European football and F1. You get the league passes for every sport you can think of. You even get all the MMA PPVs, boxing PPVs, hell, even WWE PPVs if that's your thing.

There is even a category called "24/7" that's plays over 1200 different TV shows and some movies 24 hours a day 365 days a year. Damn near any show you can think of going all the way back to the 1950s.

I can even watch up to 9 games at once. Amazing for college football season and March Madness.

Given the tools the modern consumer has at their disposal there is really no reason to ever miss a game you want to watch.