AP Poll

LPTiger

The AP released a poll yesterday.   75% of the those polled do not want Biden to run again.   69% do not want Trump to run.   If Trump does not show for the debate, I think it hurts him in part because his persona is "I am really tough."   Well tough people don't shy away from contact regardless of how big of a lead they think they might have.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, LPTiger said:

The AP released a poll yesterday.   75% of the those polled do not want Biden to run again.   69% do not want Trump to run.   If Trump does not show for the debate, I think it hurts him in part because his persona is "I am really tough."   Well tough people don't shy away from contact regardless of how big of a lead they think they might have.

Lets hope this holds and neither one is on the ballot come November of '24.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

What’s the odds Trump will run as a third party candidate if he doesn’t get the Republican nomination?  HIs ego wouldn’t be able handle it.  That is my worry.

6 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

What’s the odds Trump will run as a third party candidate if he doesn’t get the Republican nomination?  HIs ego wouldn’t be able handle it.  That is my worry.

Barring something catastrophic happening he’ll be the Republican nominee. His support is baked in and very fervent. 

1 minute ago, AUDub said:

Barring something catastrophic happening he’ll be the Republican nominee. His support is baked in and very fervent. 

Is 4 indictments, 2 being state indictments, considered catastrophic?  Are you believing Trump will beat these court cases?

I don’t believe he’ll be convicted before there’s an actionable mechanism for removing his eligibility happens. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, AUDub said:

I just have a feeling “something’s coming”.  Either trump will self implode, an other candidate will catch fire in the early primaries, or a truly game changing text or recording will come out of the investigations so shocking that even the trumpsters wake up.  Where we are is not where we’ll be a year from now. We’ll see.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, AUDub said:

I don’t believe he’ll be convicted before there’s an actionable mechanism for removing his eligibility happens. 

I’m hoping the Republican voters realize he isn’t the best candidate to win the general election with so much baggage hanging over his head.  Time will tell.

10 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

I’m hoping the Republican voters realize he isn’t the best candidate to win the general election with so much baggage hanging over his head.  Time will tell.

The Republican party establishment was fully organized around supporting Donald Trump and deflecting any criticisms or attacks made against him for so long that it's going to be very difficult to convince GOP voters that now....while Trump is facing his greatest tests and threats...is when they should abandon him and go in a different direction. 

This is what Never Trumper Republicans were afraid of in 2015/2016. That if the GOP let Trump in the door, that Trump would never choose to leave and they wouldn't be able to make him. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, I_M4_AU said:

They will not. Trump’s wing wields too much influence. If a Republican candidate step out of line in this environment they will get eaten from the right.  

• Like 1

On 8/17/2023 at 12:06 PM, AUDub said:

I am no lawyer and I can delay any of the court hearings until 2026 or later without trying hard.

On 8/17/2023 at 1:14 PM, auburnatl1 said:

I just have a feeling “something’s coming”.  Either trump will self implode, an other candidate will catch fire in the early primaries, or a truly game changing text or recording will come out of the investigations so shocking that even the trumpsters wake up.  Where we are is not where we’ll be a year from now. We’ll see.

Maybe I'm just a pessimist, but I think it's pretty clear the "trumpsters" are not going to "wake up". 

Have you not watched the interviews and focus groups in which they participate? 

These people possess "Kool Aid" conviction.  They sincerely believe this is all purely political and Trump is their hero.

Edited by homersapien
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, homersapien said:

Maybe I'm just a pessimist, but I think it's pretty clear the "trumpsters" are not going to "wake up". 

Have you not watched the interviews and focus groups in which they participate? 

These people possess "Kool Aid" conviction.  They sincerely believe this is all purely political.

They don’t need to wake up.  Only about 20% of the country is core trump, the rest of his polling group is more anti progressive and see trump as the lesser of 2 evils. It is what it is.  I do believe most republicans want another option - the current challenge is that there are too many.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, auburnatl1 said:

They don’t need to wake up.  Only about 20% of the country is core trump, the rest of his polling group is more anti progressive and see trump as the lesser of 2 evils. It is what it is.  I do believe most republicans want another option - the current challenge is that there are too many.

Another problem is the way they have their primaries structured with a (plurality) winner take all.

Edited by homersapien

1 minute ago, homersapien said:

Another problem is the way they have their primaries structured with a with (plurality) winner take all.

Agreed. But again, it is what it is. Personally I don’t think most on the right are bad folks and simply believe more strongly in individualism. And few (maybe none) want their kids to grow up to have trumps moral compass. But when each side constantly calls the other side crazy and stupid everyone goes auburn vs Alabama and it gets silly. The country imo needs to chance to breath and think - very few on either side really wants Biden or trump, they’re just going tribal from being attacked. Which is going to get us in all kinds of trouble.

• Like 2

I don't think they are bad people either.  

But I do think they are subjected to a relentless stream of propaganda from modern media and radio. If you are working hard just to make a living you don't have much time to read books or seek out alternative sources of information.  (It's easy for me as I am retired.)

But it's easy for them to have Rush Limbaugh - or the latest equivalent - on the radio while you're having lunch.  Or to have Fox prime time on the TV at night. 

A constant diet of such one-sided, focused propaganda changes ones worldview, much less their politics.  (I've got relatives - whom I love - that would serve as good examples.)

It's these folks who make up the 20+% of the MAGA faithful, IMO.  That maybe comes across as elitist, but that doesn't mean it's not true.

Edited by homersapien
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, homersapien said:

I don't think they are bad people either.  

But I do think they are subjected to a relentless stream of propaganda from modern media and radio. If you are working hard just to make a living you don't have much time to read books or seek out alternative sources of information.  (It's easy for me as I am retired.)

But it's easy for them to have Rush Limbaugh - or the latest equivalent - on the radio while you're having lunch.  Or to have Fox prime time on the TV at night. 

A constant diet of such one-sided, focused propaganda changes ones worldview, much less their politics.  (I've got relatives - whom I love - that would serve as good examples.)

It's these folks who make up the 20+% of the MAGA faithful, IMO.  That maybe comes across as elitist, but that doesn't mean it's not true.

This is my view of the world. It is not all Republicans, but it is so many that are brainwashed by Rush-Hannity & Carlson-Bongino that no reality is left for them. They hate M4A when it is the very thing that would make their lives so much better. They sabotage their lives and their kids lives at the alter of "Rugged Individualism" or some such BS.

• Like 2

On 8/20/2023 at 8:02 AM, DKW 86 said:

This is my view of the world. It is not all Republicans, but it is so many that are brainwashed by Rush-Hannity & Carlson-Bongino that no reality is left for them. They hate M4A when it is the very thing that would make their lives so much better. They sabotage their lives and their kids lives at the alter of "Rugged Individualism" or some such BS.

"GET YOUR GOVERNMENT HANDS OFF MY MEDICARE!"  ;)

(Then they vote Republican because they're "anti-government".)

Edited by homersapien
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, DKW 86 said:

Such a high horse we are riding on with this post.  The brain washing by the cult of Maddow, Lemon, Tapper and the like is no better.  You know the kind of folks that would vote to launch into office a candidate for the Senate who is clearly disabled or for that matter a second term for an elderly President that is having cognitive difficulties just over midway through their first term. These votes all cast because of loyalty to the Democratic machine.      

14 hours ago, DKW 86 said:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, JMWATS said:

Such a high horse we are riding on with this post.  The brain washing by the cult of Maddow, Lemon, Tapper and the like is no better.  You know the kind of folks that would vote to launch into office a candidate for the Senate who is clearly disabled or for that matter a second term for an elderly President that is having cognitive difficulties just over midway through their first term. These votes all cast because of loyalty to the Democratic machine.      

if you read my posts, you would know that I pretty much agree with you. Prog Indie here. I follow no party anymore and likely never will.

Reps are owned by MIC and Wall Street. Dems are maybe a nickel less so but are still no use to the Middle Class.

• Like 2