Make a Prediction: Heading into the A&M Game; what do you want Thorne's stat line to be to feel confident?

W.E.D

3 Games against 3 bad teams.  1 is away.  Thorne should have ample opportunities to run the offense (Don't expect a Gus shell) and hopefully make some plays.

These aren't good teams.  We should be able to over power them and out athlete them.  

What's your 3 game total need to be to feel confident we have a chance to upset Jimbo in College Station???

I don't think this is unattainable
>800 yds passing
>=7 TDs
0-1 INTs
>65% Comp%

Edited by W.E.D
  • Like 4

They should be able to name the score against UMass and Samford and exceed those totals in those games alone.  Who knows how long he will leave Thorne in those games so a lot of the totals might go to Ashford and/or Geriner.  Cal is a total unknown.  I don’t think the results of any of those games have anything to do with what will happen at A&M the level of competition is totally different.  

9 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

3 Games against 3 bad teams.  1 is away.  Thorne should have ample opportunities to run the offense (Don't expect a Gus shell) and hopefully make some plays.

These aren't good teams.  We should be able to over power them and out athlete them.  

What's your 3 game total need to be to feel confident we have a chance to upset Jimbo in College Station???

>800 yds passing
>=7 TDs
0-1 INTs
>65% Comp%

I think those numbers are a little high. I expect a run game that will get big yards and take away some of the pass attempts. What I want to see is Thorne throwing to the right spot and will our receivers get themselves into the right spot?? If this happens early and stays consistent then watch out. 

• Like 2

Why is it an automatic upset for A&M???? Where have they proven themselves to be automatically better than where Auburn is??? This is crazy.  We beat them last year and have only improved.  I don't see where they have taken a huge step up they have a new offensive scheme as well.  Someone please explain!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Lotto said:

Why is it an automatic upset for A&M???? Where have they proven themselves to be automatically better than where Auburn is??? This is crazy.  We beat them last year and have only improved.  I don't see where they have taken a huge step up they have a new offensive scheme as well.  Someone please explain!

Kinda my thoughts as well. A@M with Jimbo have always been the Kings of preseason for some reason.  It wasn't like that b4b Jimbo got there. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, GreenTiger said:

I think those numbers are a little high. I expect a run game that will get big yards and take away some of the pass attempts. What I want to see is Thorne throwing to the right spot and will our receivers get themselves into the right spot?? If this happens early and stays consistent then watch out. 

I hope we run an actual offense and pass the ball.  Virtually every other good team can be competent in both passing and rushing vs bad schools.

24 minutes ago, Viper said:

Half that class has transferred.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Lotto said:

Even if they lose to Miami and enter that game 2-1, I can 100% guarantee they will be home favorites by at least 3.5 points. 

Even if we boat race every single team 65-0, we've done it against 3 horrendous teams.  We're not going to get credit for much until we beat a team with a pulse.  We have a brand new coach, a million transfers, and near zero good will/benefit of the doubt.

I hope A&M starts to change the perception of the program.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

they will be home favorites by at least 3.5 points

Home team is always worth 3-4 points.

We’re 4-1 at College Station. Only loss was that rotten potato salad we brought in 2 years ago.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Viper said:

The seven 5-stars too?

Some of em.  

2 minutes ago, Viper said:

Home team is always worth 3-4 points.

We’re 4-1 at College Station. Only loss was that rotten potato salad we brought in 2 years ago.

I'm not scared of A&M nor propping them up.  We beat them last year.  I don't think Jimbo is an amazing coach and is on the brink of destructing.

But those past games don't matter for this year.  They have absolutely no impact.

2 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

those past games don't matter for this year.  They have absolutely no impact.

Because it’s been 4 years + a new coaching staff, no, the past success at College Station means nothing, but when there’s an ongoing streak against a certain team at a certain venue, you better believe coaches use it as motivation to continue streaks.

Some big play WRs like Brown are nursing mid/long term injuries and their healing progress could be a factor in Thorne's first month stats vs when those guys are at full speed - awesome TE corp notwithstanding.

Edited by aucanucktiger

4 hours ago, Lotto said:

A&M massively and historically underachieved last year!!!!   Their talent level is on par with bama & uga and probably a little ahead of LSU.   On paper we’re not even in the same ballpark as A&M.    That’s the reason they are predicted to be so much better than us.   
Now, once you consider the Jimbo factor, it’s a little more even.😁

But also, even though we’ve improved in basically every area, we have an entirely new coaching staff and a roster that is over 1/2 new guys!   That’s a ton of moving pieces to get to line up in a short period of time.  And it’s @A&M, home of the 12th man🤣.     If we could look at it as a casual and objective third party, we could see why A&M is currently a significant favorite over us.  
Looking forward to that little visit and “upsetting” the Aggies!!!

5 hours ago, GreenTiger said:

I agree.  I’m hoping the completion % is above 65.   The yards and TDs probably not that high, or close.   A very effective run game and letting some other QBs get reps in blowouts should limit those numbers.  

So I’ll take the under on the yardage, a push on the TDs, and the over on completion percentage.   

Edited by AUpreacherman22

On 8/17/2023 at 3:14 PM, Viper said:

Yeah idgaf it takes a while to implement a class 

On 8/17/2023 at 3:08 PM, Lotto said:

Yep. Been saying this all off-season. There’s a lot of emphasis being placed on the fact that their team was very young last year. But I didn’t think youth was their biggest issue. Amongst numerous problems with their team, Jimbo’s offense was very stale, and looked like something out of the early 2000’s. So what does he do to fix it? Hires Petrino, another guy who runs an outdated offense. I’ve never thought much of Jimbo as a coach. He ran FSU into the ground, and has done nothing impressive at A&M. Maybe the sports media knows something I don’t. If so, I’ll own that I was wrong. But I’m not buying the A&M hype at all. 

Edited by ScotsAU

On 8/17/2023 at 2:45 PM, W.E.D said:

>800 yds passing
>=7 TDs
0-1 INTs
>65% Comp%

I’m not great at these kinds of things but I’ll go super reasonable. Our run game should be good enough that Thorne doesn’t have to be elite.

Give me:

150 yards per game

3:1 TD to INT ratio at least

60% or greater completion rate

Less than 3 sacks a game

11 minutes ago, Zeek said:

Our run game should be good enough that Thorne doesn’t have to be elite.

We're playing 3 awful teams.  We probably don't even need a QB to complete a forward pass, but it should still be worked on, improve timing/feel/relationship between Thorne/Receivers.

12 minutes ago, Zeek said:

Give me:

150 yards per game

3:1 TD to INT ratio at least

60% or greater completion rate

Less than 3 sacks a game

Agree with the middle two. 

If he has sub 200 yds passing it's gotta have some context.  Like he was 9/11 in each game or something.  We're going to need a full arsenal if we want to compete at College Station.  I'd hope we actually try to pass the ball and run a full offense.  Literally every other good team does this.  Gus never did, hopefully that changes.

Last one, I'd hope that is lower.  Let's say it is 2.5 pg (7-8 total) vs 3 horrendous teams.  That would end up being 35-50 sacks.  I think our OL is going to be better than that

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

We're playing 3 awful teams.  We probably don't even need a QB to complete a forward pass, but it should still be worked on, improve timing/feel/relationship between Thorne/Receivers.

If he has sub 200 yds passing it's gotta have some context.  Like he was 9/11 in each game or something.  We're going to need a full arsenal if we want to compete at College Station.  I'd hope we actually try to pass the ball and run a full offense.  Literally every other good team does this.  Gus never did, hopefully that changes.

Last one, I'd hope that is lower.  Let's say it is 2.5 pg (7-8 total) vs 3 horrendous teams.  That would end up being 35-50 sacks.  I think our OL is going to be better than that

Yeah sack numbers I just guesstimated.

yardage I’m just thinking we’re going to be super run heavy until we have to be otherwise

1 hour ago, W.E.D said:

Agree that's too many sacks against this level of competition. 

I want to see completion percentage near 70% and no more than 2 interceptions in the first 3 games. Good decision making and control of the offense. 

I'm not worried about yardage or TD's, for the reasons others have stated. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Zeek said:

yardage I’m just thinking we’re going to be super run heavy until we have to be otherwise

That's a Gus strategy that I hope we can get away from. Why can't we be balanced even vs bad teams? I get we can win solely running the ball, but why wait until we need it (A&M) to utilize the passing game? Might as well work out some kinks before hand

We clearly need to work on the entire offense.

• Like 1