Offensive Game Analysis

LPTiger

The offensive play calling, personnel selection and especially the play choice at certain times were eerily reminiscent of someone else on our sidelines years ago.  The first 5 plays were scripted run plays, made my skin crawl a little when I saw them. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

If the game plan continues to be a 2-1 or 3-1 run/pass ratio its gonna be a long season. Besides handcuffing this years offense, current and future WRs and QB recruits are going to believe what their eyes tell them is being put on the field. Id rather struggle attempting to open things up than try to grind out boring wins(which wont work anyway). 

Edited by CR
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, CR said:

If the game plan continues to be a 2-1 or 3-1 run/pass ratio its gonna be a long season. Besides handcuffing this years offense, current and future WRs and QB recruits are going to believe what their eyes tell them is being put on the field. Id rather struggle attempting to open things up than try to grind out boring wins(which wont work anyway). 

100%.   The lack of first down throws was my biggest criticism of Hars.   We had more 1st down throws against UMass.   I suspect it was equal parts (1) we had convinced ourselves during film study that we could run on them and (2) it was our first road game.   I suspect that this week we will see Thorne uninterrupted for the first half, and we will see more diversity in the play calling.

Virtually every principled analysis like LP Tiger's shows the O line graded about a C- vs Cal. Two steps forward, 1 step back.

With the run heavy play calling, Freeze may be telling the O line y'all better LEARN how to run block before SEC play or you ain't going bowling.

Agree 

although on the 1st turnover, it wasn’t punched out….Thorne just flat out let the ball go, kinda like he was throwing it on purpose (stupid in its own right 7 yards downfield) and landed in the belly of the cal defender 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, TigerPAC said:

Agree 

although on the 1st turnover, it wasn’t punched out….Thorne just flat out let the ball go, kinda like he was throwing it on purpose (stupid in its own right 7 yards downfield) and landed in the belly of the cal defender 

Thank baby Jesus the refs called it dead!!!!!

• Like 2

Auburn’s offense needs to be better.

To wit:

✔️ Auburn struggled to beat California 14-10 last Saturday, and that had Freeze saying “we’ve had a lot of tough talks this morning” as the Tigers began preparing for Saturday’s game against Samford.

✔️ He said he’s looking for a better quarterback rotation with Payton Thorne and Robby Ashford. Freeze said Thorne needs to be more consistent and “I do think Robby has to get his touches.”

✔️ He wants more run-pass option plays, therefore “I probably need to be in more meetings.” He said he'd work closely with offensive coordinator Philip Montgomery this week. Auburn is last in the SEC in passing efficiency.

✔️ “But the bottom line,” he said, “is the Auburn Tigers are 2-0."

• Like 1

3 hours ago, LPTiger said:

Thorne should have checked

I doubt he has that freedom just yet.

3 hours ago, LPTiger said:

Here is the weirdest stat you may ever see in a game -- if you don't count the last possession where we ran the clock out -- we had 12 possessions.  11 of the 12 were for 5 plays or less. 6 of the 12 were for 3 plays or less.   10 of the 12 drives ended in either a punt, turnover or turnover on downs.  

The Cal coaches just have to be shaking their heads.  That's one terrible stat line 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, aucanucktiger said:

Virtually every principled analysis like LP Tiger's shows the O line graded about a C- vs Cal. Two steps forward, 1 step back.

With the run heavy play calling, Freeze may be telling the O line y'all better LEARN how to run block before SEC play or you ain't going bowling.

my question was going to be about the oline.

seemed like Cal didn't think we could throw and sold out on the run. i also think they thought they would run a lot better against our defense than they did. the defense really won that game. the offense came through when they absolutely had to. despite the play being ugly i feel much better about this win than say mizzou last year.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RunInRed said:

Auburn’s offense needs to be better.

To wit:

✔️ Auburn struggled to beat California 14-10 last Saturday, and that had Freeze saying “we’ve had a lot of tough talks this morning” as the Tigers began preparing for Saturday’s game against Samford.

✔️ He said he’s looking for a better quarterback rotation with Payton Thorne and Robby Ashford. Freeze said Thorne needs to be more consistent and “I do think Robby has to get his touches.”

✔️ He wants more run-pass option plays, therefore “I probably need to be in more meetings.” He said he'd work closely with offensive coordinator Philip Montgomery this week. Auburn is last in the SEC in passing efficiency.

✔️ “But the bottom line,” he said, “is the Auburn Tigers are 2-0."

I like how Hugh said he only called a couple plays….. He made sure to mention that he called the game winner smh. Don’t think he needed to mention that. Kind of like saying all the bad call were my OC, but the couple good ones I called.

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, sevenlee36 said:

I like how Hugh said he only called a couple plays….. He made sure to mention that he called the game winner smh. Don’t think he needed to mention that. Kind of like saying all the bad call were my OC, but the couple good ones I called.

That was kinda crappy. He knew, his OC knew. No need.

I'm hoping that CHF's seeming disappointment with Thorne's decision-making is due to him having a "you're capable of much better than this!" perspective on Thorne rather than an "Oh crap I hoped you'd be better" perspective. CHF also seems to believe that Robby has skills that we need to be able to use, but we've not yet figured out how to do so. I'm guessing we figure this out pretty quickly or abandon this possibility. I was pretty disappointed in the O-line play, but some of y'all had a different take on their play. I'd be curious to hear what you saw from them that you liked (a genuine question, not a challenge). I was more concerned to hear from CHF today that he didn't call plays & would be more involved in game planning & such going forward. I'm troubled that 2 games in he isn't comfortable with what the OC did. I hope someone can tell me I shouldn't be troubled by this & why.  

1 hour ago, TigerTennis80 said:

did. I hope someone can tell me I shouldn't be troubled by this & why.  

Because it’s not your job on the line.

• Haha 2

16 hours ago, TigerPAC said:

Agree 

I think he was trying to extend the ball forward before going out of bounds.  He switches the ball from his right hand to his left just as he was tackled.  Start the video from about :20 seconds:  

• Like 1

16 hours ago, LPTiger said:

Thank baby Jesus the refs called it dead!!!!!

The Linesman behind Thorne was obviously looking at his foot stepping out of bounds & couldn't see the ball coming out of Thorne's hand before he stepped out.  Weird play but fortunate for AU(!)  

20 hours ago, LPTiger said:

this game was the most unusual/odd/error filled/haphazardly play called offensive game I have ever seen Auburn WIN

I’ve seen much worse. 

The 3-2 MSU win in 2008.

The 14-12 Tennessee win in 2008.

The 10-6 UCF win in 1998.

The 30-26 LSU win in 1994.

The latter takes the cake on “unusual/odd/error filled/haphazardly”

• Like 1

Funny story... Red put my post on X and one of my Napa travel mates clicked on it and said he was blown away...  He shared it with our Napa group..   I should have played it off, but promptly told the group LPTiger was me....

21 hours ago, sevenlee36 said:

It seemed pretty clear to me in the way it went down that he changed his mind on the play from the sidelines.