Thorne vs Ashford

LPTiger

Here are the stats over the last 2 years:

Ashford: 2022  123 of 250  49%.  7 TDs 7 Ints   rating 107

2023    7 of 17     41%.    1 TD.    rating 92.7

as a reference, in 2022 Finley was 33 of 53    62%.

Thorne: 2022.   63%.   19 TDs  11 Ints.  rating 131

2023.    65%    4 Tds 3 ints  rating 137

So why are the coaches doing the 2 QB thing?    Is it because of RA's legs?   Last year he averaged 4.6 yards per carry.   This year he has 23 rushes for 111 yards or 4.4 yards per carry.

Those who know me know I am a glass half full guy.   But, for the life of me, I can't figure out why we are playing Robby.   He is a career, over 250 attempts, 50% passer.   His running numbers show he is average.   I know we don't have a good roster.   I know we haven't recruited well.  I know it will be years before we are SEC competitive.   BUT, there is NO reason we can't look at the numbers and make better decisions NOW.     

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Ashford provides the all elusive explosive play every now and then.  He’s athletic, shifty and fast.  I agree that he’s not consistent as a passer, but neither is our starter right now. One thing he is, is fearless.  That kid is not afraid to lay his body on the line.  

Im just trying to answer the question. I’m as confused as anyone on our QB situation.  

• Like 1

Said in another thread I’m interested to dig in and see where the wheels feel off for PT. We’ve seen enough of Ashford to know he’s not the guy. As of now we’ve had better QB play the last 2 seasons than we have had this year and tbh it’s rather disappointing 

• Like 1

First game seemed to work best, Thorne between the 20s and Ashford in the red zone.  I know it was a bad team, but yet that flow seemed smoother, more thoughtful. I would limit it to that, but not 100%. Meaning if Thorne is rolling, let him make a play or two. Then run Robbie in the game in the red zone. 

Edited by jw 4 au

44 minutes ago, LPTiger said:

Those who know me know I am a glass half full guy.   But, for the life of me, I can't figure out why we are playing Robby.   He is a career, over 250 attempts, 50% passer.   His running numbers show he is average.   I know we don't have a good roster.   I know we haven't recruited well.  I know it will be years before we are SEC competitive.   BUT, there is NO reason we can't look at the numbers and make better decisions NOW.     

I think the coaches started the season without being 100% sold on any QB on the roster, and that situation has not improved.  It might be that they thought if Thorne felt some pressure, as if Ashford was nipping at his heels, it might motivate him to step up.

Ashford is an option QB. That's it. We can expect teams to continue to stack the line and we'll get stymied by any defense with a pulse... just like last season. 

Thorne, I hope, is still adjusting to a very different offense, below average line and receivers who largely haven't played at this level. He appears to be an average QB, but I don't see a better option... unless we want to run option. Then, see above. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, LPTiger said:

So why are the coaches doing the 2 QB thing?    Is it because of RA's legs?   Last year he averaged 4.6 yards per carry.   This year he has 23 rushes for 111 yards or 4.4 yards per carry.

Usually I agree with you but this is pointless. This isn’t the B10 and he doesn’t have a competent OLine surrounding him. PT is not the one to bet the mortgage 💸 on. We do not have a SEC ready QB on our roster. It’s time we come to terms with that

• Like 2

There’s a sad reality for AU QBs of late. Auburn is a graveyard for them the past several seasons. Jeremy Johnson showed great promise as a freshman and sophomore. By the time he was a junior he was terrible. Sean White was an Elite 11 guy and fizzled. Stidham had a really good sophomore year then regressed in year two at AU. (His best year statistically for completion % and TD/int was his freshman year at Baylor) Malik Willis was relegated to mop up duty at AU then became an NFL QB at Liberty under Freeze. Nix was very erratic and much maligned  at AU. Now a Heisman contender at Oregon. Finley put up solid numbers at LSU as a freshman, regressed at AU and is now thriving at his new school. Now a guy with 6000 yards and over 50 TDs is suddenly inept at Auburn. This is the third coach it’s happening under. It’s a terrible trend for Auburn and we’re not moving forward as a program until we reverse it. 

Edited by Gowebb11
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Facepalm 1
  • Sad 3

1 hour ago, LPTiger said:

In that game yesterday, niether was a very good passer, but RA did not look completely overwhelmed. IMO the one that looked the best was the 3rd string guy but he only played 4 minutes.

Edited by Hank2020
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, WillMunny said:

It's like drinking and women.  After a few beers and shots, Nancy Pelosi starts looking like Mila Kunis.

I CANNOT AGREE TO THIS.   After a 12 pack and a bottle of Yager, in my world, Pelosi is still.... 182 years old and looks like a troll....

• Haha 3

51 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

There’s a sad reality for AU QBs of late. Auburn is a graveyard for them the past several seasons. Jeremy Johnson showed great promise as a freshman and sophomore. By the time he was a junior he was terrible. Sean White was an Elite 11 guy and fizzled. Stidham had a really good sophomore year then regressed in year two at AU. (His best year statistically for completion % and TD/int was his freshman year at Baylor) Malik Willis was relegated to mop up duty at AU then became an NFL QB at Liberty under Freeze. Nix was very erratic and much maligned  at AU. Now a Heisman contender at Oregon. Finley put up solid numbers at LSU as a freshman, regressed at AU and is now thriving at his new school. Now a guy with 6000 yards and over 50 TDs is suddenly inept at Auburn. This is the third coach it’s happening under. It’s a terrible trend for Auburn and we’re not moving forward as a program until we reverse it. 

I agree. I think it comes from a variety of contributing factors (O line, coaching, coordinator, receivers, individual skill/drive/discipline) that have varied from year to year. Nevertheless, it HAS been happening at Auburn. In fact, one might argue it is getting worse because our trend of never being able to coach the high school recruit, but striking gold with the transfer no longer works. Again, Thorne and Finley were not Newton or Stidham. But, we need to get this stink off the program soon. I can't image it is helping recruiting. Who wants to go to a program where his stats will progressively get worse? I'll still give the current staff the benefit of the doubt and assume they are still trying to figure out what kind of vehicle they have assembled from all new parts, and how to drive it. But I would have thought they'd be farther along than they appear to be.

Seinfeld_car.jpg

Edited by AUx

47 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

THE COMMON DENOMINATOR………. NO OFFENSIVE LINE!!!! This isn’t rocket science. Our O-Line has been shat since 2014. That is the sad truth of Auburn football. Haven’t even been serviceable since then, this year included. OC’s can’t trust them, which tells the QB they can’t be trusted to give them time. We’ve had halfway decent qb’s but they’ve been scared they’d get their clocks cleaned. It really is as simple as that. Looking back, Gus’s offense may have been the worst thing to happen to Auburn football in a looooong time. One great season( with 2 miracle finishes to make it great) for 10 years of setting the program back. And he got a 20 million dollar golden parachute to top it off. Makes me sick to my stomach 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, WillMunny said:

It's like drinking and women.  After a few beers and shots, Nancy Pelosi starts looking like Mila Kunis.

I'll have what he's having. 

• Haha 2

Thorne doesn't look like the guy we thought we were getting when he transferred here. Freeze brought him here so that's on him. 

Not sure why we are doing the 2 QB thing either. Freeze named Thorne the starter so he should focus his efforts on getting his starter to play better.

We know what Ashford is at this point. Freeze should take a play from Saban and get the team to rally around Thorne and commit to him as the starter for a few games. I don't see how you recruit a guy from the portal, name him the starter and then be completely uncommitted to him. It's poor leadership on Freeze's part.

Cole Pinkston said it best tonight in their call in show. 

“6,000 yards” “You don’t do that in the big 10 if you’re not a competent QB”. 

I think that this is on coaching. If not play calling, it’s too complicated for Thorne at this point in him learning the offense. He hasn’t been running it long.

Thorne is a better QB than Ashford, at this point in their careers. That’s just a fact. 

They need to hitch their wagon to him permanently and put him in a position to succeed or put Robbie in and run the ball 50x a game. That’s basically their only two options, unless they want to try Holden. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, WillMunny said:

Same with our QBs.  Ashford is bad, but after a few series of Thorne, Freeze can't help but give Ashford another look.

I don't care how much you drink, snort, sniff or rub into your belly, Pelosi never has, never does or never will look like Mila Kunis

I don't quite get it either. Ashford will never be an SEC QB. I wish he would, but it ain't happening. He athletic, and pretty fast, but I would argue he's not even a really dynamic runner either. He frequently misses the hole, runs to the wrong side of the block and right into the defender. 

Thorne has a really bad game Saturday, and missed some throws that he should have made. Freeze is going to basically decide to stick with him, or give Geriner a legitimate shot. One thing is for sure though, if Freeze doesn't start throwing more on first down none of it will matter. The O line is not going to protect any of them on third, and eight. 

1 hour ago, Gowebb11 said:

Well, that’s damned brutal.  It’s the truth and a brutal reality.  Auburn >>> QB Killer.

I’ve always enjoyed watching NFL football and still do, but it’s borderline nauseating now to see pro teams loaded with former SEC talent from many of our rival schools. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jluvah said:

THE COMMON DENOMINATOR………. NO OFFENSIVE LINE!!!! This isn’t rocket science. Our O-Line has been shat since 2014. That is the sad truth of Auburn football. Haven’t even been serviceable since then, this year included. OC’s can’t trust them, which tells the QB they can’t be trusted to give them time. We’ve had halfway decent qb’s but they’ve been scared they’d get their clocks cleaned. It really is as simple as that. Looking back, Gus’s offense may have been the worst thing to happen to Auburn football in a looooong time. One great season( with 2 miracle finishes to make it great) for 10 years of setting the program back. And he got a 20 million dollar golden parachute to top it off. Makes me sick to my stomach 

I also go back to the 2008 nightmare season with Tubs and the Tony Franklin experiment.  TF was in over his head.  We lost our mind and implemented a new system requiring new personnel. When that went bad Gus came behind it with a similar approach, but still had SEC caliber offensive lineman.  But those events began a perpetual downward spiral of recruiting lineman.  The longer it lasted, the worse the overall recruiting classes……and here we are.