Freeze UGA Presser

Maverick.AU

I saw some GUS 2.0 references but at least with his offense u knew what to expect. We may not like it but at least u had an idea. There would be a lot of runs up the middle, jet sweeps , wide receiver screens and the occasional over the top throw. Currently 4 games have past and nobody has a clue of what the offense should look like.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, e808 said:

I know hindsight is 20/20 but after misses on the QBs that he initially wanted maybe he should have just taken his lumps with HG and RA . If it really became dire throw HB in there. I think bringing in PT has really mudded the waters because for such an experienced guy it’s hard to tell. The first indication of not all in on PT when he stated Robby would play. I doubt there is a two qb system with the others. Just my half a cent opinion 

I refuse to believe that PT is as bad as this. I just will not accept that yet. I think that the offensive game plan is just too complicated for him to do well it right now. That kid should be dinking and dunking the ball down the field 3 yards at a time right now, without having to make a lot of decisions, imo. The game is moving too fast for him (crazy I know, he’s a f**king 3 year starter). 

• Like 2

Hugh's comments regarding terminology are odd & worrisome IMO. He's saying IF (!) he got involved in the O, he & Montgomery couldnt speak the same terminology? That's. Just. Bizarre.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

I refuse to believe that PT is as bad as this. I just will not accept that yet. I think that the offensive game plan is just too complicated for him to do well it right now. That kid should be dinking and dunking the ball down the field 3 yards at a time right now, without having to make a lot of decisions, imo. The game is moving too fast for him (crazy I know, he’s a f**king 3 year starter). 

Like I said in another forum the only way to truly find out what’s the issue is if PT could speak freely but we know that isn’t an option 

3 minutes ago, aucanucktiger said:

Hugh's comments regarding terminology are odd & worrisome IMO. He's saying IF (!) he got involved in the O, he & Montgomery couldnt speak the same terminology? That's. Just. Bizarre.

Yea that bothered me too. What the hell are we even doing here?! You telling me you and your OC aren’t all in on the same system? This whole thing is very odd right now. I feel like they will figure it out. It almost seems like Hugh went all in on recruiting and the actual management of this team and offense took the hit. 

Edited by AuCivilEng1

21 minutes ago, Didba said:

Was there anyone else besides Lee? I know we had older guys coming in and out of the game on injuries quite a bit. Legit asking. 

Play is below.  Lee is 1v1 on Steward at the bottom of the screen.  I guess Gilbert crashes hard on the Play Action fake from his safety spot and leaves Lee solo with no help

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

So we have two pretty bad passing performances.  Cal & A&M.  Both games Hugh is critical that we didn't throw any RPOs.  This is apparently where Thorne exceeds.  My question is why?

Thorne threw some bad passes, I agree.  But why aren't we running any RPOs?  It's what Hugh excelled and and use changed the game.  Why aren't we making it easier on ourselves?

5 minutes ago, e808 said:

I saw some GUS 2.0 references but at least with his offense u knew what to expect. We may not like it but at least u had an idea. There would be a lot of runs up the middle, jet sweeps , wide receiver screens and the occasional over the top throw. Currently 4 games have past and nobody has a clue of what the offense should look like.

We are 4 games into his tenure here. Gus was doing the same crap he always did 7 YEARS into his. Come on!!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Play is below.  Lee is 1v1 on Steward at the bottom of the screen.  I guess Gilbert crashes hard on the Play Action fake from his safety spot and leaves Lee solo with no help

Helluva throw and catch. Just a tad late. Maybe could at least broken it up

Just now, jluvah said:

We are 4 games into his tenure here. Gus was doing the same crap he always did 7 YEARS into his. Come on!!

U totally missed the point but ok

Just now, W.E.D said:

So we have two pretty bad passing performances.  Cal & A&M.  Both games Hugh is critical that we didn't throw any RPOs.  This is apparently where Thorne exceeds.  My question is why?

Thorne threw some bad passes, I agree.  But why aren't we running any RPOs?  It's what Hugh excelled and and use changed the game.  Why aren't we making it easier on ourselves?

I think Hugh trusted PM to put an offense on the field that would score points, whether it used Hugh’s rpo’s or not. That was a mistake. Part of getting Hugh Freeze as a coach was to get Hugh’s offense. This frankenfu** offense they’ve fielded is not going to work consistently unless we are wayyyy more talented than our opponent.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, jluvah said:

What was it?

The point is the offense has no identity. What is the offense, play action, RPO, triple option. U tell me . U just stated above Gus was doing the same crap for 7 years proving my point. U knew

Edited by e808

1 minute ago, e808 said:

The point is the offense has no identity. What is the offense, play action, RPO, triple option. U tell me 

Pray to Jesus enough for him to send angels to help. That’s the offense

image.gif.eed789da0a58a446426228a48b4538b1.gif

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, e808 said:

The point is the offense has no identity. What is the offense, play action, RPO, triple option. U tell me . U just stated above Gus was doing the same crap for 7 years proving my point. U knew

So you’re gonna judge his offensive style on 4 games? How did you like Gus’s style in year 7? A little bit bigger sample size I’d say. 

17 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

I don’t know what more they can really do for the guy, he’s double pumping towards open WRs that he’s looking directly at. Assuming that a good chunk of this offense derives from Freeze’s scheme, it’s an offense that fundamentally… Malik Willis, Swag Kelly and Bo Wallace got. Bo Wallace! 

it’s not like Thorne looked wonderful last year either, I will say. I think if you add the comfort he had with the scheme after multiple years + Keon Coleman, that helps explain why he looked solid then IMO. 

2 minutes ago, jluvah said:

So you’re gonna judge his offensive style on 4 games? How did you like Gus’s style in year 7? A little bit bigger sample size I’d say. 

It was ok in the beginning and got stale. Regardless it didn’t change in 7 years. CHF pedigree was putting together a competent offense. It didn’t look like this at Liberty. Why now. It’s about to be game 5 and still slinging stuff at the wall to see what sticks

• Haha 1
  • Facepalm 1

2 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I don’t know what more they can really do for the guy, he’s double pumping towards open WRs that he’s looking directly at. Assuming that a good chunk of this offense derives from Freeze’s scheme, it’s an offense that fundamentally… Malik Willis, Swag Kelly and Bo Wallace got. Bo Wallace! 

it’s not like Thorne looked wonderful last year either, I will say. I think if you add the comfort he had with the scheme after multiple years + Keon Coleman, that helps explain why he looked solid then IMO. 

I’m at the point that the booth should be making his pre snap read for him, Gus Bus style. Lol. “Snap the ball and throw to x, if it’s not there, run for your life”. He doesn’t throw a bad ball. He really doesn’t. But he’s getting so flustered trying to read the field. 

This whole thing is just ridiculous, imo. What are the odds of getting this many QBs in a 10 year span that fall apart when the stadium lights come on? Honestly.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, e808 said:

It was ok in the beginning and got stale. Regardless it didn’t change in 7 years. CHF pedigree was putting together a competent offense. It didn’t look like this at Liberty. Why now. It’s about to be game 5 and still slinging stuff at the wall to see what sticks

The stuff he was running with Cam and Nick Marshall wasn’t even in the same stratosphere as what he was running with Stidham and Bo. I think he changed too much, tbh. He should have went all in on OL recruiting and stuck to the dual threat QB’s. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

The stuff he was running with Cam and Nick Marshall wasn’t even in the same stratosphere as what he was running with Stidham and Bo. I think he changed too much, tbh. He should have went all in on OL recruiting and stuck to the dual threat QB’s. 

I believe the rule change what hurt the most IMO

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

I think Hugh trusted PM to put an offense on the field that would score points, whether it used Hugh’s rpo’s or not. That was a mistake. Part of getting Hugh Freeze as a coach was to get Hugh’s offense. This frankenfu** offense they’ve fielded is not going to work consistently unless we are wayyyy more talented than our opponent.

I have to imagine he's reviewing the gameplan and not just letting the coordinators run the ship 100%.  So on Sunday when Hugh see's 0 RPOs on the script or practice plan....I'd hope he'd say something

6 minutes ago, e808 said:

Why now? Well, a roster that can’t match up with the 5 stars some of these other teams have. I asked how you liked Gus in year 7. Was really stale, don’t you think. I hate to think what you’re gonna say at the end of the year cause things won’t get much better. We have tougher foes than a&m coming up. 

9 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

I’m at the point that the booth should be making his pre snap read for him, Gus Bus style. Lol. “Snap the ball and throw to x, if it’s not there, run for your life”. He doesn’t throw a bad ball. He really doesn’t. But he’s getting so flustered trying to read the field. 

This whole thing is just ridiculous, imo. What are the odds of getting this many QBs in a 10 year span that fall apart when the stadium lights come on? Honestly.

True, I will say there’s some college OCs that are simply too proud to make their offense remedial. That almost got Jimbo fired before he gave the clipboard up

• Like 1

Just now, W.E.D said:

I have to imagine he's reviewing the gameplan and not just letting the coordinators run the ship 100%.  So on Sunday when Hugh see's 0 RPOs on the script or practice plan....I'd hope he'd say something

You’d think, but he’s hinted at them running way less of that than he likes. 

You know when Hugh said months ago that Monty was going to be calling the shots on offense, I thought it was just coach speak. I remember thinking “yea right, he’s going to just put his elite offense on the back burner”. But that mf was telling the truth. 

I wish Hugh, in all his honesty, would have just told Monty, “look! My offense works and yours doesn’t, so we are going to run my offense”.