Freeze UGA Presser

Maverick.AU

16 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

You’d think, but he’s hinted at them running way less of that than he likes. 

You know when Hugh said months ago that Monty was going to be calling the shots on offense, I thought it was just coach speak. I remember thinking “yea right, he’s going to just put his elite offense on the back burner”. But that mf was telling the truth. 

I wish Hugh, in all his honesty, would have just told Monty, “look! My offense works and yours doesn’t, so we are going to run my offense”.

Ehhh....then Hugh should have hired an offensive coordinator that believed in and ran his offense the way Hugh wanted it ran. 

In my view a successful head coach doesn't/shouldn't have the time or ability to be the full time playcaller or strategist for any side of the ball on gamedays. If you want to run the offense then you stay an offensive coordinator, but a head coach, in my view, should be spending his time on more large scale program building. 

https://theathletic.com/4384771/2023/04/06/college-football-play-calling-staples/ 

Here's a semi-recent article on this issue. P5 headcoaches who call their own plays are a slim group, and while it may be working ok for Lincoln Riley, aside from that most other head coaches famous for calling plays (including even Malzahn!!!) have decided that they don't have the time or ability to fully commit to it. 

Edited by CoffeeTiger

25 minutes ago, jluvah said:

Why now? Well, a roster that can’t match up with the 5 stars some of these other teams have. I asked how you liked Gus in year 7. Was really stale, don’t you think. I hate to think what you’re gonna say at the end of the year cause things won’t get much better. We have tougher foes than a&m coming up. 

For example the last 4 games of last year did we know what the offense was or not. Probably would have beat MSU with more prep time .  U talking about what’s stale and what isn’t. I am talking about having an identity a game plan.

For Example Colorado got their butt kicked Saturday but the offense has looked pretty good since game 1.  I think most are asking just to show competence so far it’s been all over the place

Edited by e808

1 hour ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

It may not bother the players. I have no clue. But it’s useless, and reeks of him making excuses, beforehand, to cover his ass. Less talented teams have won games against more talented teams with better coaches than Jimbo and Bobby. App St went to A&M just last season and beat them. And it’s funny how we don’t seem to be having major glaring talent issues with the defense that cause us to give up 50+ a game. Just the offense. 

I don’t care that we lost. I don’t even care that we lost by that much. What bothers me is the anemic offense. 

I don’t see it as useless. You have upteen coaches come in here and promise championships in year 1 through coach speak and then when they can’t come through on it, the fan base get rabid asap. 

I see your side of it and it’s valid. Hard line to toe. Agreed on the anemic offense. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, W.E.D said:

Play is below.  Lee is 1v1 on Steward at the bottom of the screen.  I guess Gilbert crashes hard on the Play Action fake from his safety spot and leaves Lee solo with no help

Thanks for the link. Strange. 

1 hour ago, CoffeeTiger said:

Ehhh....then Hugh should have hired an offensive coordinator that believed in and ran his offense the way Hugh wanted it ran. 

In my view a successful head coach doesn't/shouldn't have the time or ability to be the full time playcaller or strategist for any side of the ball on gamedays. If you want to run the offense then you stay an offensive coordinator, but a head coach, in my view, should be spending his time on more large scale program building. 

https://theathletic.com/4384771/2023/04/06/college-football-play-calling-staples/ 

Here's a semi-recent article on this issue. P5 headcoaches who call their own plays are a slim group, and while it may be working ok for Lincoln Riley, aside from that most other head coaches famous for calling plays (including even Malzahn!!!) have decided that they don't have the time or ability to fully commit to it. 

If they are used tocalling their own plays and then decide not to, they wind up with nothing to do with their time. May wind up taking a stroll during the play (see Jimbo for reference).

• Haha 2

Freeze better drop the  "we compete out of love not hate" thing before the Iron Bowl. 

Lol geez.... that's the type of line a little league coach uses when they know their kids are about to be steamrolled by the semi-pro travel league team they're about to play. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

12 minutes ago, CoffeeTiger said:

Freeze better drop the  "we compete out of love not hate" thing before the Iron Bowl. 

Lol geez.... that's the type of line a little league coach uses when they know their kids are about to be steamrolled by the semi-pro travel league team they're about to play. 

I wouldn’t worry too much about that. His tune will change on that, after Georgia whips his ass a few times. 😂

Hugh to Kirby at the end of the game in 2026 after we lose another one to them…..

image.gif.05a9e971969c056fee093835d49e2118.gif

Edited by AuCivilEng1
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, aucanucktiger said:

Hugh's comments regarding terminology are odd & worrisome IMO. He's saying IF (!) he got involved in the O, he & Montgomery couldnt speak the same terminology? That's. Just. Bizarre.

Glad you said that. I was thinking the same.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

This whole thing is just ridiculous, imo. What are the odds of getting this many QBs in a 10 year span that fall apart when the stadium lights come on? Honestly.

I would suggest the reason is that, historically,  our fans trash our QBs before they even have a chance to settle in and learn.  We are hyper-critical.  We expect a QB to be great from play one of game one.  If not we demand the QB gets benched for another QB.   or just trashed  on the internet. immediately.  I was embarrassed by the way some Auburn fans treated Nix  before he decided to transfer.   

Very few QBs  have come through Auburn since Tuberville have been accepted long enough to gain a large % of fan support.   The rest  eventually transfer,  get time and fan support and do very well at other schools.

At this point there is no easy fix.   CHF knew what we had at QB  and brought in the best QB transfer he could get. 

I still think our QB situation is serviceable and not 100% the problem.  unfortunately the QB issues are compounded with all the other issues we have. (techniques/ knowing the playbook/ fundamentals, etc)   most of our issues are small.  ALL of which can be overcome.  there is just a shitload of them spread out across the whole team.

Edited by Quietmaninthecorner
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Quietmaninthecorner said:

I would suggest the reason is that, historically,  our fans trash our QBs before they even have a chance to settle in and learn.  We are hyper-critical.  We expect a QB to be great from play one of game one.  If not we demand the QB gets benched for another QB.   or just trashed  on the internet. immediately.  I was embarrassed by the way some Auburn fans treated Nix  before he decided to transfer.   

You think our QB problems are because of the fans?

Do you think AU fans are more critical than Bama, UGA, Ohio State, etc?

17 minutes ago, cbo said:

Yes! We have the worst fans in sports.  

• Facepalm 1

27 minutes ago, cbo said:

JMO

Not solely because of the fans,  but it has a large effect on transferring before they hit their stride.

We are not more critical than other fans,  but we are hyper-critical of EVERY QB.   It doesn't matter if they deserve it or not. It doesn't matter if they have potential or not.      Go back and look at the very early season game threads from the past 10 years.  Notice how fast the opinions on our QB's change after 1 or 2 mistakes.  See people trash a QB's talent only to have him transfer and excel.

When we do have a great QB  he still gets trashed.   Newton caught the least amount of heat early and was the only QB we have had without much internal controversy.   Partly because it was "us against the world"  because of external controversy.  Mostly because he was an exceptional and rare talent. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, GAAubie said:

Yes! We have the worst fans in sports.  

It has nothing to do with quality of fans.   We are a passionate group.   Being very passionate  is not always a positive thing. 

• Like 1

This is some goofy stuff. Get back to play calling so we can stop looking ridiculous. Kick Montgomery to the curb, if your philosophies are that different. It is like coaches get to Auburn and start experimenting.

7 hours ago, e808 said:

Man CHF looked pretty rough at the presser. Looks like a man with a lot on his mind

He always looks a little disheveled, scruffy and weary. Remind me of Jimbo Fisher, always looking like he needs a clean shave and a good night’s rest. 

5 hours ago, e808 said:

I know hindsight is 20/20 but after misses on the QBs that he initially wanted maybe he should have just taken his lumps with HG and RA . If it really became dire throw HB in there. I think bringing in PT has really mudded the waters because for such an experienced guy it’s hard to tell. The first indication of not all in on PT when he stated Robby would play. I doubt there is a two qb system with the others. Just my half a cent opinion 

3 hours ago, Headland Tiger said:

Jeremy Johnson anyone?

Greatest first half in football history. 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, e808 said:

It was ok in the beginning and got stale. Regardless it didn’t change in 7 years. 

Comments like this woohoo.   Gus’ offense changed completely in his time here.

Edited by keesler

3 hours ago, Quietmaninthecorner said:

Very few QBs  have come through Auburn since Tuberville have been accepted long enough to gain a large % of fan support.   The rest  eventually transfer,  get time and fan support and do very well at other schools.

At this point there is no easy fix.   CHF knew what we had at QB  and brought in the best QB transfer he could get. 

I still think our QB situation is serviceable and not 100% the problem.  unfortunately the QB issues are compounded with all the other issues we have. (techniques/ knowing the playbook/ fundamentals, etc)   most of our issues are small.  ALL of which can be overcome.  there is just a shitload of them spread out across the whole team.

So the fans on Internet forums are the decade long strangle hold AU has had at the QB position?  Fans on the internet demanding position changes.  I had no idea a few thousand old geriatric farts blowing hot air on Auburn boards had so much sway.  

• Thanks 1

Here is all you need to know:

Hugh Freeze: "This is not my first rodeo taking over a program that's struggling. I'm not at all phased" by struggles that might come early in the process.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, keesler said:

So the fans on Internet forums are the decade long strangle hold AU has had at the QB position?  Fans on the internet demanding position changes.  I had no idea a few thousand old geriatric farts blowing hot air on Auburn boards had so much sway.  

If you think it holds NO sway,  what do you think is the common denominator of our QB  issues over the last 12 years?

Talent?   They seem to do fine elsewhere.

Coaching?   we picked 4 coaches in a row that cant teach QBs (probably 8 OC's and QB gurus)

You may not want to admit it,  but fan's attitudes do effect players.  As I said before.   It is not the only thing,  but it does have an effect.

6 hours ago, e808 said:

I know hindsight is 20/20 but after misses on the QBs that he initially wanted maybe he should have just taken his lumps with HG and RA . If it really became dire throw HB in there. I think bringing in PT has really mudded the waters because for such an experienced guy it’s hard to tell. The first indication of not all in on PT when he stated Robby would play. I doubt there is a two qb system with the others. Just my half a cent opinion 

I think the real plan was Grayson McCall for quite awhile, and it fell through sending everybody scrambling for Plan C-

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Quietmaninthecorner said:

If you think it holds NO sway,  what do you think is the common denominator of our QB  issues over the last 12 years?

Talent?   They seem to do fine elsewhere.

Coaching?   we picked 4 coaches in a row that cant teach QBs (probably 8 OC's and QB gurus)

You may not want to admit it,  but fan's attitudes do effect players.  As I said before.   It is not the only thing,  but it does have an effect.

Coaching, lack of proper recruiting foundation players, zero attention to talent acquisition on the offensive line, inability by the “gurU” offensive HC to evolve his schemes or show any creativity on offense, twirly QBs on offense, stagnant and stubborn play calling, pigeon holing WRs, failure to develop NFL ready offensive players for years, boneheaded roster management, refusal to let the OC do his job.  And THATS all just on Gus.

Harsin need not be mentioned. 

IMHO, the actual fans venting on a message board are low on the totem poll compared to the million$ this dysfunctional administration and revolving door of coaches that have extorted a king’s ransom from a passionate and faithful fan base in the last decade.

You lay too much blame on the shoulders of message board fans.  While at the same time the Coaches, board Mods, and OTV constantly pass the hat to the FANS for more $$ to fund our NIL to pay players to come here.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Quietmaninthecorner said:

I have always said fans are like that with the 5 stars. It's like they hate a big name guy and they live for a guy that's small or not rated high being good. Ultimately it's almost like we really don't like super gifted athletes. We like to hear somebody that was essentially one of us. 

• Like 1