Anyone Watch ESPN College GameDay

Jenny AU-92

The Corso Kiss of Death goes to ............

LSU! He says LSU will beat USC for the BCS NC.

For the first time I find myself agreeing with Trevie - he says USC will lose at least one game this year - I think Kirk agreed with him.

They all said LSU would win the SEC overall because Miles has a lot of talent. Excuse me, but doesn't COACHING skill also figure in there somewhere?? One has to look no further than Tuscaloser to see that all the talent in the world don't help you one squat if you can't coach worth a damn. Les Miles has yet to prove he can coach in the SEC. I am not saying he CAN'T - I am just saying that he, like Urban Meyer, still has a lot to prove. Maybe the show was taped before Alley B went out for the season - I don't know.

Speaking of, even the GameDay guys said Meyer had a LOT to prove - they weren't sold on FL at all - Kirk said "He isn't playing Wyoming anymore!"

Anyway, the Corso KOD has been named. Thank goodness it wasn't us.

Anyway, the Corso KOD has been named.  Thank goodness it wasn't us.

176478[/snapback]

AMEN!

I keep telling people the same thing about Miles & Meyer....neither one has won a game in this conference. They both have a lot to prove!

I am kinda glad the "experts" aren't expecting too much of us. We seem to have our best seasons when they don't!

I tired to watch that but it gets old hearing that USC is already in the Rose Bowl and the heisman race is simply between Leinart and Bush. Also I was pissed with the fact that Bama is getting more mention than us. They (talking heads) actually acknowledge the fact noone is talking about Auburn and all the they will say is "Oh, they like that." and go back to talking about USC and Ohio St.

Screw Herbie

Screw Corso

Screw Trev & Mark

They all repeat each other without any fresh insights. I'll trust my opinion and my outlook more than thier's. <_<

Its funny, but with the internet you basically already know everything that these so called experts are going to say before they say it.

:au: WDE

What show were you watching? Corso said LSU would play in the Rose Bowl but lose to Ohio State.

Excuse me, but doesn't COACHING skill also figure in there somewhere?? One has to look no further than Tuscaloser to see that all the talent in the world don't help you one squat if you can't coach worth a damn.

Since when did Bama have all of the talent in the world. They've been slammed with sanctions for the past 4 years and could barely recruit.

Yes coaching does figure in. LSU retains Jimbo Fisher as OC and gains Bo Pelini as DC both of whom are considered two of the most talented coordinators in football. Miles also has 20 years of coaching experience in college and the NFL. Hardly wet behind the ears.

Anyway, the Corso KOD has been named.

Too bad for Ohio State.

I'll be curious to see what happens with Pellini and if he continues his trend, that being getting railed by quality offenes. Yes, I have seen the hey that Neb D in 03 was ranked in the top 10 (which is easy when half the schedule or more can't win more than 3 games), but look at what happened with Texas, Kansas State, Missouri. Look at what happened with his D last year with OU against just decent offenses, and OU had as much talent as LSU does.

Miles is wet behind the ears when it comes to being the head guy with a team with expectations. He wasn't coaching games in Gallagher/Iba next door up there in Stillwater. Don't think for a minute that he won't pull the leash on Fisher and get himself beat. I can remember my sister calling me one day screaming "OMG Pat Jones is coaching again, everying is dives up the middle!".

His claim to fame is that he was able to beat Stoops twice, though on the flip side of that coin he never could figure out Mack Brown, even when spotted 35 points in the first half.

He will be sucessful there one day, but I doubt its Rose this year. He has had a tendency to come up short when people expected things out of his teams at Oklahoma State, like all his talk and stuff the year OU drummed him 52-9.

My sister actually thinks he will fold under the pressure from LSU, and she is a Oklahoma State graduate.

I'll be curious to see what happens with Pellini and if he continues his trend, that being getting railed by quality offenes.  Yes, I have seen the hey that Neb D in 03 was ranked in the top 10 (which is easy when half the schedule or more can't win more than 3 games), but look at what happened with Texas, Kansas State, Missouri.  Look at what happened with his D last year with OU against just decent offenses, and OU had as much talent as LSU does. 

Miles is wet behind the ears when it comes to being the head guy with a team with expectations. He wasn't coaching games in Gallagher/Iba next door up there in Stillwater. Don't think for a minute that he won't pull the leash on Fisher and get himself beat.  I can remember my sister calling me one day screaming "OMG Pat Jones is coaching again, everying is dives up the middle!".

His claim to fame is that he was able to beat Stoops twice, though on the flip side of that coin he never could figure out Mack Brown, even when spotted 35 points in the first half.

He will be sucessful there one day, but I doubt its Rose this year.  He has had a tendency to come up short when people expected things out of his teams at Oklahoma State, like all his talk and stuff the year OU drummed him 52-9.

My sister actually thinks he will fold under the pressure from LSU, and she is a Oklahoma State graduate.

176502[/snapback]

You really think that was Pelini's defense at OU? Stoops runs the defense at OU. After Stoops it was Venables and then Pelini. Pelini jumped at the chance to be THE defensive coordinator especially coming into a team stocked with all the talent needed to be successful. Pelini's scheme isn't far from Saban's.

Figure out Mack Brown??? Despite Texas' annual loss to OU they are one of the of best and most talented teams year in and year out. Miles was working with far inferior talent at Okie St. Miles did as good as Jimmy Johnson did at Okie State and as good as Saban did at Michigan St. before coming to LSU. They all over-achieved at their state's also-ran school in the shadows of their behemoth big brothers.

Miles success remains to be seen but so far so good. He's already has LSU on track for another top 5 recruiting class and has surrounded himself with talented coordinators. How much of Auburn's success last year do you attribute to Tubbs, Borges and Chizik? I'll reserve final judgment on Miles after Jan 4, 2006.

I'll be curious to see what happens with Pellini and if he continues his trend, that being getting railed by quality offenes.  Yes, I have seen the hey that Neb D in 03 was ranked in the top 10 (which is easy when half the schedule or more can't win more than 3 games), but look at what happened with Texas, Kansas State, Missouri.  Look at what happened with his D last year with OU against just decent offenses, and OU had as much talent as LSU does. 

Miles is wet behind the ears when it comes to being the head guy with a team with expectations. He wasn't coaching games in Gallagher/Iba next door up there in Stillwater. Don't think for a minute that he won't pull the leash on Fisher and get himself beat.  I can remember my sister calling me one day screaming "OMG Pat Jones is coaching again, everying is dives up the middle!".

He will be sucessful there one day, but I doubt its Rose this year.  He has had a tendency to come up short when people expected things out of his teams at Oklahoma State, like all his talk and stuff the year OU drummed him 52-9.

176502[/snapback]

You really think that was Pelini's defense at OU? Stoops runs the defense at OU. After Stoops it was Venables and then Pelini. Pelini jumped at the chance to be THE defensive coordinator especially coming into a team stocked with all the talent needed to be successful. Pelini's scheme isn't far from Saban's.

Figure out Mack Brown??? Despite Texas' annual loss to OU they are one of the of best and most talented teams year in and year out. Miles was working with far inferior talent at Okie St. Miles did as good as Jimmy Johnson did at Okie State and as good as Saban did at Michigan St. before coming to LSU. They all over-achieved at their state's also-ran school in the shadows of their behemoth big brothers.

Miles success remains to be seen but so far so good. He's already has LSU on track for another top 5 recruiting class and has surrounded himself with talented coordinators. How much of Auburn's success last year do you attribute to Tubbs, Borges and Chizik? I'll reserve final judgment on Miles after Jan 4, 2006.

176505[/snapback]

You'll be blubbering about him on October 23rd.

i certainly think lsu will compete for a spot in that title game (every sec championship contender is a legit national title contender, every year). i dunno that they'll get there (gotta win the west first which won't be easy), but they'll be a contender b/c miles is a good coach and those are great, nfl caliber players.

my question for lsu fans is why in the world you all KEEP claiming that he was an overachiever at an "also-ran" school in his state. why do you lower expectations of coaches just because they aren't coaching at State U? by that measure tommy tuberville must be the greatest coach in modern football since auburn is the second public school in the state (when it comes to football history... we're really first in everything else). or maybe bobby bowden is the best coach ever without debate right? i mean he's at the "also-ran" in his state right? that tag that saban and miles were both overachievers at the second public school is just confusing to me. great coaches win games whether you're at state u or not.

i'm looking forward to seeing miles' impact on the offense. he had a good offensive system at osu, and i'll be surprised if nothing really changed despite retaining the coordinator. and color me skeptical about the defense maintaining their level of dominance without saban. pelini is a good coach; i just don't think he's on saban's level.

What show were you watching? Corso said LSU would play in the Rose Bowl but lose to Ohio State.

Excuse me, but doesn't COACHING skill also figure in there somewhere?? One has to look no further than Tuscaloser to see that all the talent in the world don't help you one squat if you can't coach worth a damn.

Since when did Bama have all of the talent in the world. They've been slammed with sanctions for the past 4 years and could barely recruit.

Anyway, the Corso KOD has been named.

Too bad for Ohio State.

176500[/snapback]

You are right - I misquoted Corso. He said LSU would lose to Ohio State in the Rose Bowl. YOU try watching a preview show with a 17 month old running around your house. Her corndog daddy wasn't home and I was dealing with her alone. So sue me. You still get the Corso KOD for him saying that LSU will win the SEC. Same difference.

As for your second comment, you obviously haven't watched a lot of bammer football. Two words for you - MIKE DUBOSE. Sanctions may hurt them in years to come, but when they first went on probation, and the years immediately previous to that, they had TONS of talent and he could not coach his way out of a wet paper bag. They lost to LOUISIANA TECH his next to last year, and then it just went downhill from there.

I have also heard lots of OKSU people say LSU got a pig in a poke with "Les is More" Miles. Ok, he beat Oklahoma once. Let's elect him President... He still has to prove himself in the SEC. Until he does, I don't think anyone needs to be preparing to engrave his name below CTT's on the Coach of the Year Trophy.

Geaux Tiger almost calling another National Championship! =D Sorry bud, but it will be a lot sooner than January 4th before you make your judgement on Miles.

I never called another national championship. It was just a way of saying I'll reserve judgment until the end of the year. I'm sure you know a lot about Les Miles.

my question for lsu fans is why in the world you all KEEP claiming that he was an overachiever at an "also-ran" school in his state. why do you lower expectations of coaches just because they aren't coaching at State U? by that measure tommy tuberville must be the greatest coach in modern football since auburn is the second public school in the state (when it comes to football history... we're really first in everything else). or maybe bobby bowden is the best coach ever without debate right? i mean he's at the "also-ran" in his state right? that tag that saban and miles were both overachievers at the second public school is just confusing to me. great coaches win games whether you're at state u or not.

Tuberville has proven to be a good coach but you don't honestly believe Auburn would have achieved as much success over the past 5 years had Bama not been slammed by probation? I think having big brother basically laid up in traction had a little to do with it. Alabama only has so much in-state talent to go around. You think Tubbs hasn’t given the fact that Bama is will be off probation soon a thought or two?

Bowden and Florida St?? You think the talent level of the Florida panhandle is the same as Oklahoma?? Sorry you're confused about Miles and Saban overachieving. Are you telling me it's not harder to recruit at Michigan St. than Michigan? Are you saying that it's easier to recruit at Okie St. than OU? Okie State had 12 straight losing seasons before Miles arrived. He then took them to 3 bowl games. Miles has a virtually identical winning percentage to Jimmy Johnson and Saban. You're right, facilities, recruiting region and where you coach has no bearing on your ability to win football games. That's why Toledo, El Paso and Maine consistently battle Miami, OU and Michigan for spots in the top 10. :roflol:

You don't always have to "come back" with something especially when you don't have a clue about what you're speaking about. Your post made exactly zero sense.

You still get the Corso KOD for him saying that LSU will win the SEC. Same difference.

Actually they ALL said LSU would win the SEC but it doesn't matter. Everyone still has to play their games so prdictions don't mean diddley. However I do feel that depth is where championships are won and on that note LSU has a large advantage.

I have also heard lots of OKSU people say LSU got a pig in a poke with "Les is More" Miles.

Gee, imagine that. Scorned fans aren't complimentary about the coach that left them for a bigger and better job. Ask them how their football program was doing for more than a decade before Miles arrived.

Ok, he beat Oklahoma once. Let's elect him President...

Actually he beat them twice, with far inferior talent to boot. Miles was hired based upon his entire record and what he achieved in relation to what he had to work with. You look for the coach that has done more with less. pun not intended.

YOU try watching a preview show with a 17 month old running around your house.

No thanks. Thats why God made women :roflol::cheer:

As for your second comment, you obviously haven't watched a lot of bammer football. Two words for you - MIKE DUBOSE. Sanctions may hurt them in years to come, but when they first went on probation, and the years immediately previous to that, they had TONS of talent and he could not coach his way out of a wet paper bag. They lost to LOUISIANA TECH his next to last year, and then it just went downhill from there.

But beat auburn the very same year (in auburn). And won the SEC championship after beating UF twice in one season.

Bo Pellini syndrome - a defensive coordinator good enough to crush mediocre offenses, but finds himself outmatched when faced with a good offense and good offensive coaching.

Thats a quote from Nebraska fans.  Maybe Stoops did control the entire D, but reports from Dallas papers (a big OU haven) stated that Stoops had turned the D over to the co-coordinators and I saw plenty of griping from Sooner fans on Pellini during the year.

You can't really compare what Johnson did at OSU with Miles, two completly different times.  Scholarships numbers were in the hundreds back then (can't remember the exact number, but wasn't it like 120 or something?) so teams like Oklahoma got alot more of the talent, even the middle of the road talent, than they do today. Teams back then gave scholarships to players just to keep them from playing somewhere else. Lets not forget that was the Switzer years also, which means you got really nice perks for being a OU player off the field. 

So since Miles was working with inferior talent and thats why he couldn't beat Mack then you are saying the two wins over Stoops was a fluke like OU people claim? They overlooked OSU going into the championship game. Which general claims are that Mack is overrated as is Texas every year. He did a good job of making them a middle of the pack team in the Big 12. For example last year, he only defeated a single Big 12 south team, and that was Baylor and we all know the Big 12 north wasn't any good. He had a 35 point lead on Texas last year with a half to go and lost 56-38.

He's a good coach, I just don't think he is immediatly going to walk into going from hunter to hunted without a couple of glitches.

Tuberville has proven to be a good coach but you don't honestly believe Auburn would have achieved as much success over the past 5 years had Bama not been slammed by probation? I think having big brother basically laid up in traction had a little to do with it. Alabama only has so much in-state talent to go around. You think Tubbs hasn’t given the fact that Bama is will be off probation soon a thought or two?

Look at Auburn over the past 25 years. No Bama probation in the 80's and Auburn was pretty sucessful, Bama wasn't on probation when Bowden was at Auburn and he had success, too bad he didn't know how to recruit due to his arrogance (he alienated alot of HS coaches and went after his dads rejects). Don't forget also that Auburn has always depended heavily upon the state of Georgia when recruiting, and Georgia been pretty good while Tuberville has been here and we have had success. Last year our roster carried 30 players from the state of Georgia (I remember the comment being made during the UGA game), you figure in the other states (Fla, Miss, Tenn, SC) and a significant proportion of our scholarships are from outside Alabama. Auburn has never depended on in state talent. That big brother theory doesn't wash unless you go back to the 70's and then Bama was everyones daddy if you were in the SEC. Even then Shug still put up a couple of 10 wins seasons with Bryant at Alabama.

Bo Pellini syndrome - a defensive coordinator good enough to crush mediocre offenses, but finds himself outmatched when faced with a good offense and good offensive coaching.

You can always find a negative quote about a coach somewhere. Syndrome??? He was their DC for exactly one year and they went 10-3. They were 7-7 the year before. That quote could apply to every coach in America. Stoops has lost 3 out of 4 championship games in the past 2 years, does that make him a bad coach? Know of any teams that need a coach that would turn him down?

Most Nebraska fans I've seen are highly complimentary about Pelini. Most have stated that his boys will run through a wall for him and that his players fly to the ball. Creating turnovers is a high priority with his defenses. Again, I don't know how he'll do at LSU but he has a very good reputation coming in. Rivals just ranked him the #2 DC in the country along with Fisher as the #4 OC.

http://www.rivals.com/content.asp?SID=1014&CID=443841

Can you deny the fact that in the 03 season and 04 season that defenses that he was associated with struggled against teams with quality offenses? You can't because they did. Those defenses had tons of talent also. Thats all I am saying.

Lol rivals ranks Chizik third and then states its likely he won't be able to produce the same results cause he isn't in Tuberville's system. With Tuberville having taken a more active role in the defense the past two years have to wonder who to give credit to.

Hey, Texas has one of the best winning %'s in the nation, matter fact they have never had a season under 9 wins with Brown, but he gets the overrated and a bad coach bit cause Stoops has his number.

I'm sure that Jenny is a MUCH better judge of corndogs than Lee Corso, and respect her for making the supreme sacrifice of marrying one to acquire that expertice. ...not sure if I would have had the guts to do so.

Don't even go there. So you're basically saying that UA probation has only had a positive effect on Auburn's 13-0 campaign last year and its recent success and not LSU's 2 SEC Championships and one national championships? You're saying that LSU has not benefitted from UA's struggles when the Tigers play the Tide every year as does Auburn? What about Tennessee? What about Ole Miss and their ten win season in 2003? What about Arkansas recent success? No, Auburn is the only program that has benefitted from UA probation.

This logic is flawed because you fail to mention that most of these other teams, Auburn and LSU included, caught up with UA many years ago in recruiting and in wins, Auburn in the early 1980's and LSU in the last ten years.

So we're supposed to apologize and not take any credit because our main opponent decided to cheat, break the rules, and get caught? We're supposed to wait and claim ourselves to be a great program only when UA is up to speed again in the SEC? Using the same logic, I could also claim that LSU has benefitted from not having one in state opponent to compete with on the gridiron or in recruiting. Who is LSU's main in state opponent, Tulane? Please, do they still have a football program? Maybe that argument works in baseball but not in football.

Do you think for one solitary second that UA has never benefitted from an Auburn probation? Let me give you a little history lesson son, they have benefitted from an Auburn probation. Auburn dominated the 1980's, including most of the opponents in our path. Then, a former disgruntled athlete turned in Pat Dye to the NCAA in 1991, Auburn goes on probation, then Alabama goes on to win the national championship in 1992. Go figure. You may want to mention that fact the next time you come in here and run your mouth about us benefitting from our big brother being "laid up in traction."

In regards to your "big brother" comment. I'm gonna throw out a few statistics here and see what you think. Since Bear Bryant's death, Auburn is:

1. 13-10 against Alabama, 5-3 at home, 3-0 at Bryant Denny

2. 5 SEC Championships to UA's 3

3. More wins

4. More top ten teams defeated than UA

5. 4-1 against UA in five years

I could go on and on here. Your LSU Tigers have not defeated an Alabama team with a winning record in Death Valley in 36 years so when you talk big brother here, you may want to flip the switch and apply that statement to your own program. If you're gonna make patronizing statements on a rival website, at least have the good sense to support your ridiculous claims with some facts.

Geaux, this is an attack on your claim and not you personally. Just to clarify things here.

Alex

I duno if someone already read this cuz I had to respond before reading responses...

Corso picked Auburn last year. He picked Auburn to win the SEC and he picked Jason Campbell to be the leader of the team.

So yea.... saying it's a kiss of death isn't very accurate

YOU try watching a preview show with a 17 month old running around your house.

No thanks. Thats why God made women :roflol::cheer:

176560[/snapback]

Oooh, what wit. Take you long to come up with that one? Good thing I am a woman, or else you'd have been struck speechless. Instead, you respond like your typical single coonass corndog, a guy whose idea of foreplay is a half hour of begging.

As for DuBose, his last year, which he didn't even complete before God told him to hit the road, was a disaster - and he had much of the same talent that he had the year before. So I still stick by my original statement - that all the talent in the world won't help you if you can't coach worth a damn.

:lol: The records would indicate that dumbose is a better coach than flipper. :lol:

As for miles...."What has he done in the SEC"? :blink:

The answer to THAT question will go a long way towards answering many others.

The first two years on probation they were stocked with all the talent that got them put there. Especially the first year when they had the best paid D-line in college history.

1) I agree with GT, Pellini is his own boss now. We will know soon enough if he is for real.

2) I agree with....Jenny. Miles doesnt have a great record when the expectations are high. But then neither did CTT until recently.

3) Big 12/= SEC

4) Bama has benefited greatly from our probations in the past.

:au: on the other hand has not sought out the same talent as :ua::ua: wins the "in state battle" almost every year. So does :au: really benefit? If we do, so does every other :sec: team.

:ua: may win the in-state war, but......We win the Iron Bowl. :big:

Archived