Hurricane Katrina

SouthLink02

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Tigrinum Major

I have been watching this thing all afternoon and I can't decide which is going to be worse for New Orleans, being just to the east of the eye, where they will experience the worst winds and chances for tornados and storm surge or being just to the weat of the eye, where Pontchatrain gets washed into downtown and sits there for days on end. A direct hit might be the best scenario, but even then the city will be devastated.

Prayers to all those in Louisiana, south Mississippi and even as far as Mobile. It is going to be a long night and day for those folks.

I'm in the southeast corner of Alabama and they're predicting 50 mph winds here tomorrow.  I can only imagine what you folks in La. and Miss. and west Alabama are going to experience.  To all our LSU brethren, stay safe and I hope you all come through this okay.  I know you have been lifted up in prayer in church services, including ours, all around the country.

Keep us posted. :lsu:   :thumbsup:

176736[/snapback]

NOAA NHC has predicted that (at current strength) Katrina will still be a Cat 3 hurricane by the time she reaches Jacksonville, MS... incredible.

2AM:

155MPH

Not that it much matters. God be with every person affected. I hope He spreads some of his miracles upon the NOLA area people.

Slink, Let us "hear" from you Asap. I will keep you and NO in my prayers.

God Bless!

I work with the Lee County, AL Emergency Management Agency. Mobile and Baldwin counties have been getting lots of Tornado Warnings all night long. Things are not looking good for New ORleans, reports of pumps not working in NO. Fox News has a guy out in Gulfport, MS that is just insane. He is about to get blown over!!! Debris flying around!! Winds gusting over 100 mph. With the shift in Katrina from landfall on the FL panhandle over to LA (not Lower AL), it has helped with the impact on AL. Man, this guy on Fox almost got hit by a junk of roof from a hotel!!. It is not good for LA. To all the :lsu: folks updating on the board, keep us up to date on your well being. I hope you have gotten some where safe!! God Bless!!!

Roof of Superdome going !

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/4820130

Hurricane Katrina rips Superdome roof

Associated Press

Posted: 21 minutes ago

The thousands of people who took shelter in the New Orleans Superdome couldn't completely escape the wrath of Hurricane Katrina.

The storm has now torn two holes in the roof of the huge arena. People inside can hear the rumbling of the winds ripping at the metal on the roof. They can see the metal flapping, and can even see the sky through the holes.

Water is dripping in and people are being moved away from about five sections of seats.

General Manager Glenn Menard says he does not know how serious the problem is. He says there's no way of getting anyone up there to look at it.

Earlier this morning, power failed at the Superdome, causing the crowd to groan. Backup generators kicked in, but they can't run the air-conditioning.

Guest Tigrinum Major

Just downgraded to a Cat 3. Heard it on the radio and will post a link when I find one.

Think about this, guys. This thing is not near as bad as once feared and it is still devastating the coast, not just in LA, but MS and looks like Mobile will be swamped in a couple hours.

EDIT: National Weather Service

Guest Tigrinum Major

Pretty interesting blog from a guy who rode the storm out in a high rise in the downtown business district. This thing might not be as bad as we all feared at all. Of course, he is in a very isolated area, so this might not be indicative of all of NOLA.

BLOG

Keep in mind that New Orleans wound up on the western flank of the storm. The flooding in New Orleans is bad, but the Mississippi coast took the brunt of Katrina. 55 dead in Gulfport/Biloxi, 30 in one apartment complex alone.

I don't know why there's not many Ole Miss and MSU fans who visit the board, but our prayers and best wishes go out to the MS people as well as LA and AL. From the early pics, the ordeal for many is just beginning.

Guest Tigrinum Major
Keep in mind that New Orleans wound up on the western flank of the storm. The flooding in New Orleans is bad, but the Mississippi coast took the brunt of Katrina. 55 dead in Gulfport/Biloxi, 30 in one apartment complex alone.

176990[/snapback]

Up to 80 dead now just in Harrison County, MS.

176990[/snapback]

Up to 80 dead now just in Harrison County, MS.

177010[/snapback]

Deja Vu... Didn't almost the same thing, a apartment complex being taken out, lead to a large portion of the death toll in Biloxi during Camille? Or maybe it was a motel complex? Anyway, though about it when I saw thirty people lost in one large multi-unit residential building.

How did Auburn fair in this? Up here, about 35 miles NW of Birmingham.. We had gusts atleast to 65mph or greater. Worse than Ivan around here with trees down everywhere. Winds actually increased after the rain.

Nowhere near the damage in S MS or even oxford and jackson, but there are about 40k without power in memphis. My lawn became a stick magnet overnight, and leaving for work this morning I had to take to the sidewalk 3 times to get around downed trees.

Here's hoping everybody made it through ok, and thoughts and prayers for those that didn't.

Deja Vu...  Didn't almost the same thing, a apartment complex being taken out, lead to a large portion of the death toll in Biloxi during Camille?  Or maybe it was a motel complex?  Anyway, though about it when I saw thirty people lost in one large multi-unit residential building.

177025[/snapback]

Yeah, an apartment building completely disappeared in Pass Christian during Camille. The only thing left of it was the foundation slab. A bunch of people having a hurricane party there died.

Alot worse in New Orleans today. It is flooding downtown. Can you imagine what would have happened there had the Hurricane made a direct hit on the city? I pray that everybody will be OK.

At the risk of sounding unemotional, I have a question to ask. Last night on Fox, they showed gas stations in Memphis with a 2-3 hour wait to get gas. Is it like that in parts of Alabama? I planned on coming to the game this weekend, but would rather not have to fight traffic like this to get there and back.

Thoughts and prayers for all our families and friends. I heard that my old highschool (Archbishop Rummel) had 5-8 feet of water in it this morning. While my old neighborhood also had about 5 feet of water. I'm afraid that the worst is yet to come.

Hope we hear from our :lsu: friends soon.

Archived