Hurricane Katrina

SouthLink02

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A catergory 4 that crosses just west of N.O. would devestate the city/region. The US Corp of Engineers has to dredge and pump 24/7 to keep N.O. from going under water on a good day... :blink:

That is the thing people don't get....the water wouldn't go ANYWHERE....thus the city would be under water for days on end and the filth/trash/animals would literally tear apart the entire city.

We are in a bowl

It's a scary thought

It always gave me chill when you can walk around in the quarter and see ships passing by at a HIGHER elevation than you are, never a good sign. :huh:

New Orleans has had some very good fortune in regards to significant hurricane damage...everything since Betsy in 1965 has steered clear of a direct hit.

The weather folks had Dennis' path nailed almost to the exact spot several days ahead of time...they don't seem to have a good handle on where Katrina and her waves are going to land.

Yeah, my best thoughts and prayers for everyone in the Big Easy. I'm afraid that, just as earthquake-prone California knows the Big One is coming someday, New Orleans is doomed at some time in the future to have the "Perfect Storm" that sweeps all of Lake Ponchetrain (spelling?) into the Quarter. Just hope it doesn't happen any time soon.

However, I don't wish Katrina on the Alabama-Florida Panhandle coast either. Those folks have had enough with Ivan and Dennis in less than a year.

On a superstitious football note, if you're the superstitious type: Remember that Ivan came through just before the LSU game last year--the game that, in my mind, set our team's psyche for a perfect run through the rest of the schedule. After LSU, Jason Campbell & Co. just knew that somehow they would beat everyone they faced. I don't wish Katrina on anyone, but I'd love to see this year's Tigers pull that sort of confidence out of the Tech game.

Looks like the NOAA prediction is showing Katrina possibly making a beeline towards N.O., note that predicted strength @ landfall is a category 4. This could be very bad.

085817W_sm.gif

I hate it for you and the rest of the people in and around New Orleans, here in Pensacola we are still getting over Ivan and Dennis. We all are breathing a sigh of relief that we may not take a direct hit, but we hate to see it going to N.O. Stay safe down that way.

The $64 (million) dollar question is "when does she decide to turn north?"

Most of the computer models right now (emphasize right now) have it landfalling further east of New Orleans, which would be bad news for Mississippi and Alabama, but the "central" path on NOAA has it going just east of New Orleans.

New Orleans doesn't have to have a direct hit to be really badly affected...a landfall just east of New Orleans would be pushing the water from Lake Pontchartrain from north to south, which is the worst-case scenario for N.O. proper.

As others have said, you don't want to wish it on anyone, but the coast of Alabama and the FL panhandle have had their turn. I've made a couple of trips back to clean up after storms in the last 11 months and I really don't want to do it again.

bump...SLink, I hope you and your loved ones got the hell out of Dodge. This is looking really tragic for whoever gets the brunt.

175....this ain't no rodeo guys. If you live in or around NO then by God get the hell out of there right now! A prayer goes out to all of you down there.

This bitch is a real monster. Hopefully I'll make it through to give y'all some more  :poke: at another time.  :blink:   :(

176664[/snapback]

Hate to say it, but I hope you do as well. Prayers to all of you it is bearing down on.....

I agree with ya, Sto. I'd welcome any LSU fan ribbing us next week, since it would mean they are alive. Thoughts and prayers for all family and friends in the path.

Top winds 213.

Has anyone heard how all of the other countries of the world are gathering supplies and are ready to come to our aid with their money and resources?

Well, I haven't either.

This bitch is a real monster. Hopefully I'll make it through to give y'all some more  :poke: at another time.  :blink:   :(

176664[/snapback]

Hate to say it, but I hope you do as well. Prayers to all of you it is bearing down on.....

176665[/snapback]

The storm is enormous. Maybe those guys will catch a break, since some of the last big hurricanes in the Gulf have lost strenth prior to landfall. Not that a Cat 2-3 hurricane is anything to sneeze at... Godspeed to everyone trying to evacuate.

:au:

I agree with ya, Sto.  I'd welcome any LSU fan ribbing us next week, since it would mean they are alive.  Thoughts and prayers for all family and friends in the path.

176666[/snapback]

Ditto from me. Never thought I'd look forward to Corndogs talking trash, but by Wed/Thur I won't mind hearing from any of you.

Catagory 5, 175 mph winds, one of the most solid eye's I can remember seeing in my lifetime. This could possibly be the worst to hit the U.S. anywhere since Camille. PRAYERS ALL AROUND!

Unreal. Katrina spans from the LA/MS coast all the way south to Yucatan pennisula. Absolutely a monster storm.

Katrina is almost 1/2 the size of the entire Gulf of Mexico...

Listening to FOXSPORTS radio and they are expecting ~18ft flooding in N.O. The Superdome has beed designated as a hurricane shelter, but it is also in downtown N.O. and will experience some of the worst flooding.

The Superdome may not be enough to prevent loss of life (inside) if N.O. takes a direct hit. This was from an article last year, September 23, 2004. Unbelievable.

9/23/2004

More than one thousand people sought refuge in the Superdome during Hurricane Ivan. On Wednesday, Mayor Ray Nagin said the Superdome likely has the best chance of surviving hurricanes, making it a good choice for shelter in the future. Those working at the Dome are not so sure.

On the surface, the Superdome seems like the most logical choice for an emergency shelter, and city officials are leaning in the Dome’s direction for future shelter needs instead of schools.

“Anything above a category two makes them pretty much ineligible because they’re not wind resistant enough and they're in flood prone areas it looks as though we're pointing to the Superdome in being reinforced with the proper back up system as shelter of last resort,” said Nagin.

It appears a facility as large as the Dome could hold up in hurricane conditions but Bill Curl, spokesman for the Superdome, says that is yet to be tested and if there is no other choice then maybe the Dome could serve as a shelter.

“Only in dire emergencies. The Superdome is not a shelter,” said Curl.

According to Curl, the assumption that the Superdome can withstand hurricane force winds is just that: an assumption. He says more analysis is needed to determine what the Dome can actually withstand because previous wind studies have become somewhat irrelevant since they did not factor in the new high-rise buildings around the Dome.

“They create a wind tunnel effect and that needs to be tested. There were initial studies that indicated 130 miles per hour, but we don’t know,” said Curl. He adds that the Dome is not impervious to the same elements other areas would be exposed to.

“If we were to lose power, if we were to lose plumbing facilities, if a storm were to hit and create flooding in the area; the Superdome would not be a desirable place to be,” he said.

The American Red Cross admits it would not stay in town for a severe hurricane. Workers would offer supplies and training to the Dome but would then leave to ensure aid for the hurricane’s aftermath.

Kay Wilkins, spokesperson for the American Red Cross, said, “While we’re saying we’re going to move our volunteers and staff out of the risk area into areas where its safer for them to be it doesn’t mean we're not going to be here ahead of time for others.”

Mayor Nagin said the city has more than 80,000 people without transportation access, and when the next hurricane evacuation there will be thousands of people who will not, or cannot, leave, highlighting the city’s urgency of finding the most suitable place for shelter.

Thanks for the well wishes.

We've had so many false alarms in the past. A huge build-up of hype then nothing.

I must admit this damn thing has me worried. Not so much for myself but for my family. I think this hurricane is going to be really, really bad. I hope it's just another over-hyped media event again but I think we've dodged a bullet one too many times before. This one is going to F us up.

Say a prayer for us. We're going to need it.

Archived