Hurricane Katrina

SouthLink02

Thanks for the well wishes.

We've had so many false alarms in the past. A huge build-up of hype then nothing.

I must admit this damn thing has me worried. Not so much for myself but for my family. I think this hurricane is going to be really, really bad. I hope it's just another over-hyped media event again but I think we've dodged a bullet one too many times before. This one is going to F us up.

Say a prayer for us. We're going to need it.

176683[/snapback]

GT, I take it that you will stay put?

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm in the Baton Rouge area so I'm staying put. We've heard there could be sustained winds for 8-12 hours from between 40-75 MPH with gusts even higher. My real worry is tornadoes.

I don't wish any harm to my brothers in Mississippi but I would mind this thing taking a sharp turn north and giving me some breathing room.

Gotta go tape up the windows. If the internet connection stays up I'll try to give reports when I can.

GT, you're nuts. Get out of there. You'll get winds twice or more of what you said. Get on the road NOW!

Hell, that thing is so big and bad that I'm settin' a crawdad trap out in my front yard!

I just stopped by the check the site. Seems all the other topics seem are a little irrelevent right now. I notice someone said "worst since Camille"... This storm is bigger and more powerful. If it hits land with a pressure this low or lower only the 1935 Keys storm (which blew over steam locomotives) will have been stronger to hit the US.

Prayers to all in the path of this storm. They say if it goes like they think it will even Mobile bay could get a 20 foot storm surge.

Extra Prayers to those in the direct path.

Hopefully the fact that Slink hasnt replied is because hes currently trying to get the hell out of there. Cat 5 on landfall? Especially hitting N.O.? GET OUT OF THERE!

Hopefully the fact that Slink hasnt replied is because hes currently trying to get the hell out of there.  Cat 5 on landfall?  Especially hitting N.O.?  GET OUT OF THERE!

176693[/snapback]

It's too late to get out if you haven't already done so. Traffic is backed up for hours.

Louisiana and Mississippi are going to look like a war zone tomorrow.

They expect hurricane force winds to start reaching Baton Rouge around 2AM. The eye won't even make landfall until 7am and it only get's worse from here.

:huh: :o :huh: :o :huh: :o :huh: :o:puke:

Hopefully the fact that Slink hasnt replied is because hes currently trying to get the hell out of there.  Cat 5 on landfall?  Especially hitting N.O.?  GET OUT OF THERE!

176693[/snapback]

It's too late to get out if you haven't already done so. Traffic is backed up for hours.

They expect hurricane force winds to start reaching Baton Rouge around 2AM. The eye won't even make landfall until 7am and it only get's worse from here.

176701[/snapback]

My sentiments exactly... :puke:

Looks like N.O. will not see a direct hit, the storm looks like it will pass just east. Hopefully the damage to N.O. will be reduced since it will not see the northeast (most powerful) part of the storm.

katrinawind.gif

God Bless ya, GT. My folks live in BR, also, my dad isn't so much worried about flooding, as he is structure damage to the house b/c of falling trees. Hope you know that everyone in the Auburn family is praying for everyone there.

Looks like N.O. will not see a direct hit, the storm looks like it will pass just east. Hopefully the damage to N.O. will be reduced since it will not see the northeast (most powerful part, of the storm.

Raven, the bad part with that scenario is that on west side of the eye, the wind blows from the north to the south, which will blow Lake Pontchatrain into the city.

Looks like N.O. will not see a direct hit, the storm looks like it will pass just east. Hopefully the damage to N.O. will be reduced since it will not see the northeast (most powerful part, of the storm.

Raven, the bad part with that scenario is that on west side of the eye, the wind blows from the north to the south, which will blow Lake Pontchatrain into the city.

176705[/snapback]

That's true. I'm trying to gleen something positive out of this...

NOAA PUBLIC Advisory #24

Sustained winds are down, a little, to 165mph...

A NOAA HURRICANE HUNTER PLANE REPORTED A MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE OF

902 MB...26.64 INCHES

Well, every little decrease helps...the pressure dropped to 902, though.

This is obviously tangential, but for those of you in unaffected areas who may need to gas up your vehicles, you might want to do that today...I'd bet there's going to be a spike in gas prices tomorrow.

Listening to Dr. Steve Lons at 5:30pm EST - it would take a rise in pressure of 30 millibars to keep this from being catastropic.

The difference between 165 and 175 wind speed (horsepower) is insignificant - especially when the pressure of the storm (torque) is unchanged or dropping.

Also -- 100,000 in The Superdome? This scares the s*&t out of me. I hope I'm wrong but I'm afraid this decision in itself is a disaster. I'd rather be on the 3rd floor+ of a good masonary construction building myself.

If this things floods it will be MONTHS before NO is habitable.

176705[/snapback]

Yep, barring a miracle N.O. is going to be a disaster whether the eye goes just east of just west.

Looks like N.O. will not see a direct hit, the storm looks like it will pass just east. Hopefully the damage to N.O. will be reduced since it will not see the northeast (most powerful) part of the storm.

katrinawind.gif

176703[/snapback]

Raven....what's the link for your map?

176693[/snapback]

176701[/snapback]

Geaux......if you can't geaux then batten down the fort and be safe. My thoughts and prayers will be with you and all the folks in the path of this bitch. :(

176693[/snapback]

176701[/snapback]

Geaux......if you can't geaux then batten down the fort and be safe. My thoughts and prayers will be with you and all the folks in the path of this bitch. :(

176718[/snapback]

Thanks. I'm packin' it in here in BR. This thing looks like a huge mfer.

Greetings and salutations from an LSU Tiger in Lafayette, Louisiana. Thanks for all the good words and hopefully prayers. Its not a good situation for SE La. and Southern Ms. This storm is going to do some damage b4 its over. Here is a link that someone posted on www.tigerforums.com from LSU about what will happen with a storm passing just east of New Orleans:

http://www.nola.com/hurricane/content/katr...oding082805.pdf

As one of your earlier posts stated, you would basically have Lake Ponchartrain in downtown New Orleans. If this senario plays out, you would have 5-10 feet of water outside of the Superdome which is serving as a shelter for those who cannot get out of the Big Easy. Thanks again for your concern, I'll come back later if their is an "inside" infromation to share.

CNN was just talking to someone of responsibility at the Superdome. They said the refugees in the dome are NOT being allowed on the field or the lower floors because they're pretty sure those areas will flood. People will have to sleep in the stands and the upper concourses.

Another N.O. authority was interviewed as saying they estimatet over a million people have left NO already--the largest evacuation in US history.

I thought about that. If this happens the way they think it will there will be some incredibly tense moments when the lower parts of the dome start to flood. I pray that the entire structure holds up.

I'm in the southeast corner of Alabama and they're predicting 50 mph winds here tomorrow. I can only imagine what you folks in La. and Miss. and west Alabama are going to experience. To all our LSU brethren, stay safe and I hope you all come through this okay. I know you have been lifted up in prayer in church services, including ours, all around the country.

Keep us posted. :lsu::thumbsup:

Archived