2024 Transfer Portal Thread (Merged Zeek's New Thread)

AU80cruiser

As crazy as last years portal seemed this year is just insane. I didn’t really know what to expect. I kinda thought well the Georgias and Alabamas will have it easier with the portal, but their depth is going to be more difficult and other teams are going to fill holes easier. I’m not saying the current big boys won’t still have advantages but the road seems to definitely be getting bumpier. 

43 minutes ago, AlaskanFAN said:

Elijah Pritchett from Bama 6’6 325 with 13 starts, will be an RS Soph. And is originally from Columbus, GA just entered the portal. 

This is one I’ve been waiting for! The other one is Bo Hughley from UGA. We need OT’s bad. 

Am I the only one who has reservations about guys who leave highly successful programs? I can see stars at a small school wanting to compete in the "Big Leagues". I can see guys at, say, Vandy wanting to go to a winner. Unless these 4 and 5* guys were badly over rated previously and aren't cutting it at UAT/UGA/etc, why are they leaving? Something's not right or they would be successful where they are.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Am I the only one who has reservations about guys who leave highly successful programs? I can see stars at a small school wanting to compete in the "Big Leagues". I can see guys at, say, Vandy wanting to go to a winner. Unless these 4 and 5* guys were badly over rated previously and aren't cutting it at UAT/UGA/etc, why are they leaving? Something's not right or they would be successful where they are.

These are 5*’s that are getting buried on the depth chart behind other 5*’s. These guys would kill it at Auburn!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, CameronCrazy said:

These guys would kill it at Auburn!

Assuming they all panned out, which we know statistically half do at best.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, aujohnson said:

As crazy as last years portal seemed this year is just insane. I didn’t really know what to expect. I kinda thought well the Georgias and Alabamas will have it easier with the portal, but their depth is going to be more difficult and other teams are going to fill holes easier. I’m not saying the current big boys won’t still have advantages but the road seems to definitely be getting bumpier. 

Yep. 5* players realizing they can get paid big money to go elsewhere, and actually play.

Teams like uga and bama can't afford to pay all of these 5* players just to sit on the bench. 

BTW, I've always thought the "gets players into the NFL" line is misleading. They sign like 5 5* players every year, of course they're going to get more players into the NFL. It also helps when you have a bunch of 5* WR (or DL) playing together, because you can't double-team everyone.

And almost everyone has awesome facilities these days. 

7 hours ago, CameronCrazy said:

This is one I’ve been waiting for! The other one is Bo Hughley from UGA. We need OT’s bad. 

What's the deal with that guy though? Doesn't seem to be a playing time issue (13 starts). They're just not willing to pay him what he thinks he's worth?

4 minutes ago, yngwie1995 said:

Yep. 5* players realizing they can get paid big money to go elsewhere, and actually play.

Teams like uga and bama can't afford to pay all of these 5* players just to sit on the bench. 

BTW, I've always thought the "gets players into the NFL" line is misleading. They sign like 5 5* players every year, of course they're going to get more players into the NFL. It also helps when you have a bunch of 5* WR (or DL) playing together, because you can't double-team everyone.

And almost everyone has awesome facilities these days. 

Yeah, I never really got the, "Saban puts players in the NFL"  thing.

I would be a great hunter too if I did my hunting at the zoo. 

Talent puts players in the NFL, not Saban, or Kirby. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Quietmaninthecorner said:

Since all the cool kids are doing it,  I just wanted to let everyone know that I have entered the portal.

What is your ranking and position?

7 hours ago, Mikey said:

Maybe just can’t get on the field to prove what they are worth.

9 hours ago, CameronCrazy said:

These are 5*’s that are getting buried on the depth chart behind other 5*’s. These guys would kill it at Auburn!

My thinking is that if they are truly 5* guys they wouldn't be buried on anybody's depth chart. Maybe they are loafing? I will concede that the new opportunity to make more money could have something to do with it.

12 minutes ago, AUatHeart said:

Don’t go busting on half star.  

Hey now!   I am unfairly being left out of a high star rating just because I am slow, uncoordinated ,  short, fat and lazy. 

Edited by Quietmaninthecorner
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Quietmaninthecorner said:

I am unfairly being left out of a high star rating just because I am slow, uncoordinated ,  short, fat and lazy. 

NIL demands I'm guessing:

th-2668880849.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Eagle-1 said:

Yeah, I never really got the, "Saban puts players in the NFL"  thing.

I would be a great hunter too if I did my hunting at the zoo. 

Talent puts players in the NFL, not Saban, or Kirby. 

So true. Look at this year in the NFL for a perfect example of your post. Lookup Tua's stats with Tyreek Hill in the game and compare them to when Hill is out.

5 minutes ago, WarEagleHunter1221 said:

We are striking out left and right on OL. 

Its the glaring weakness in an otherwise stellar class.

• Like 1

Well if there is one place that needs offensive linemen worse than us, it's Arkansas. Guess Fernando couldn't hear the drums.