2024 Transfer Portal Thread (Merged Zeek's New Thread)

AU80cruiser

9 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Not better than Thorne? 

Without already having been in a Freeze O to speed up the learning curve, likely no.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NWALA Tiger said:

My criticism is simple. He can't make his mind up. First he's all in on Thorne, then a week later he seems to pivot to he needs a QB. Did he just realize this after the bowl game? He has a 13 game sample size to judge Thorne.     Now he is scrambling to find a QB. 

That's a double edged sword, because as soon as he chose to stay an unpopular course he would be criticized for being too stubborn or stagnant. 

Wishy washy or stubborn, after one year it's too soon to say but we owe him the time to get it right in his mind. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, bigbird said:

That's a double edged sword, because as soon as he chose to stay an unpopular course he would be criticized for being too stubborn or stagnant. 

Wishy washy or stubborn, after one year it's too soon to say but we owe him the time to get it right in his mind. 

Maybe he shouldn't say anything.  I was for Freeze and still am. But when he makes statements that he was recruiting and not involved in the game plan or going  back and forth on to take a QB or not it gives the appearance of being in over your head.

Edited by NWALA Tiger
  • Like 7

12 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Without already having been in a Freeze O to speed up the learning curve, likely no.

You feel the same way about  Cam Ward, , Leonard or any of the other Transfer QBs as well? They would have a learning curve as well.

Edited by NWALA Tiger

24 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

I’m starting to think our $90 million spend on the FOF facility was as poorly timed as possible. For several years, recruiting sites reported that we had fallen behind in facilities and were losing recruits because of it. Finally we invested over $90 million in a best in class facility and it doesn’t seem to be a major factor in recruiting at all. Guys transferring from schools like UGA, OSU, and Bama aren’t even bothering visiting AU, while taking their talents to the likes of Purdue, Syracuse, and Ole Miss. In hind sight, we could’ve used that facility money on NIL and benefitted more much more. 

Not sure that it works that way.   I think that money was donated to the university for the purpose of building the facility.    As far as NIL, universities can’t be associated with that money.    Now, could the funds have been donated to NIL instead of the Athletic Department, sure, but I think that’s hindsight.   I don’t think anyone thought that NIL collectives were going to be so powerful in recruiting.   

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Quietmaninthecorner said:

not worth the risk.  Was Thorn better than Robbie?

IMO it's too risky to stick with Thorne. I think Jefferson will put up better stats than Thorne and Robbie both this year.

1 minute ago, aubaseball said:

Not sure that it works that way.   I think that money was donated to the university for the purpose of building the facility.    As far as NIL, universities can’t be associated with that money.    Now, could the funds have been donated to NIL instead of the Athletic Department, sure, but I think that’s hindsight.   I don’t think anyone thought that NIL collectives were going to be so powerful in recruiting.   

Correct, at least part of the funds donated could’ve been directed to NIL had we known. That’s why I included the part about hindsight. It’s sad to see such a huge investment not making the impact it could’ve and should’ve. 

1 hour ago, Quietmaninthecorner said:

Jefferson is not a fix all.  

BTW. We don't need a fix all . Just halfway competent QB play would be an improvement 

Edited by NWALA Tiger

10 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

You feel the same way about  Cam Ward, , Leonard

No. They are much better than KJ.

11 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

any of the other Transfer QBs as well?

Most of the rest, yes.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, ellitor said:

No. They are much better than KJ.

Most of the rest, yes.

Interesting that u think  Leonard is that much better than KJ. Based on experience and career stats it's not even close

Edited by NWALA Tiger

52 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

BTW. We don't need a fix all . Just halfway competent QB play would be an improvement 

And no more drops.

2 minutes ago, yngwie1995 said:

And no more drops.

Every team has drops.  Fewer is key word

Edited by NWALA Tiger

9 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Every team has drops.  Fewer is key word

It would be fun to see our guys make an amazing catch every once in a while also. 🤤

28 minutes ago, aujohnson said:

It would be fun to see our guys make an amazing catch every once in a while also. 🤤

It would be great to watch our guys challenge DBs for the catch on those 50/50 balls.   We had one drive against MD where it looked like receivers WANTED the ball.

To me, that’s been the difference in our receivers. They had a lot of drops this year that looked like other teams were consistently making. I’m not a receiver so I’m talking from the couch perspective.

But in my experience, attitude and want to can be seen in performance. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Maybe he shouldn't say anything.  I was for Freeze and still am. But when he makes statements that he was recruiting and not involved in the game plan or going  back and forth on to take a QB or not it gives the appearance of being in over your head.

Yep its a weird 180.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, bigbird said:

metastasized our societies.

giphy.gif?cid=2154d3d790yillu6l1vq9qo27y

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Browning4AU said:

Weird because only a year ago people were saying he had one of, if not the best transfer portal classes. 

We had one of the biggest transfer portal classes. Looking back, how many of those guys worked out?

14 minutes ago, cbo said:

We had one of the biggest transfer portal classes. Looking back, how many of those guys worked out?

You can apply hindsight to recruiting every year. Fact is, CHF flipped this roster last year by committing to the portal. Now everyone is on him about "losing" in the portal when he's been committed to HS recruiting. That was my only point. AU fans are super fickle. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, aujohnson said:

How about they start with catching the ones that hit them in the hands. We had a game earlier this season where PT had 9 incompletions. 6 of them hit the WRs squarely in the hands. As in, there is zero reason at all they shouldn't have been caught. At that point PTs completion percentage and yards would have looked a lot better. PT has his issues, but I still feel like more of the problem is the OL and incompetent WRs than the QB. PT should be serviceable if the WRs could make even basic catches. I'm not sure why in the one series with Brown they caught everything within 5 yards of them and in the series with PT and Geriner they couldn't catch stuff that hit them in the hands and RBs were dropping easy screen passes. Even PT's late interception was taken out of the receiver's hands as he went to the ground. He had that ball and it was straight up ripped away. That is the WR's fault, not the QB's.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Browning4AU said:

You can apply hindsight to recruiting every year. Fact is, CHF flipped this roster last year by committing to the portal. Now everyone is on him about "losing" in the portal when he's been committed to HS recruiting. That was my only point. AU fans are super fickle. 

It remains to be seen if Freeze works out, but without teh job he did in the TP, we would've been possibly a 2-10 team.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, pikecracker said:

How about they start with catching the ones that hit them in the hands. We had a game earlier this season where PT had 9 incompletions. 6 of them hit the WRs squarely in the hands. As in, there is zero reason at all they shouldn't have been caught. At that point PTs completion percentage and yards would have looked a lot better. PT has his issues, but I still feel like more of the problem is the OL and incompetent WRs than the QB. PT should be serviceable if the WRs could make even basic catches. I'm not sure why in the one series with Brown they caught everything within 5 yards of them and in the series with PT and Geriner they couldn't catch stuff that hit them in the hands and RBs were dropping easy screen passes. Even PT's late interception was taken out of the receiver's hands as he went to the ground. He had that ball and it was straight up ripped away. That is the WR's fault, not the QB's.

That’s why I said ALSO. 

4 hours ago, Browning4AU said:

Only thing I've criticized on his portal recruiting this yr is that he doesn't seem to want to upgrade the QB room. If that's being fickle. Guilty as charged 

Edited by NWALA Tiger