Freeze obv deserves a mulligan on this season regardless, but

Dual-Threat Rigby

This may have been covered already but when Dye took over it was rough, but you could sense and see something was being built. The guys were outgunned but gave max effort and played with attitude. Same guys looked totally different than they did Barfield’s last year. You could see it meant something to just be on that team. I know it’s a different time and who knows how much of this is too many transfers at once to program. That said, everyone controls their effort and it was in short supply. I would rather put a freshman out there like Cobb that will give me 100% every play and live with the mistakes than take up a slot at any position that is taking plays off or giving a half arse effort. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, PikesEagle said:

This was the issue I had. Team looked lost after coming off a bye week. A win, maybe not, but no way they should have gotten beat by 30 after a bye. Just my 2 cents.

I think they took most if not all the week off of the by-week. We got no value out if that, I don’t believe.

4 hours ago, nurbis said:

Not sure what the expectations were for this season but one of the best teams in Auburn history lost by 14 at LSU in 2013. That team had Heisman finalist Tre Mason, #2 draft pick Greg Robinson, NFL receiver Sammie Coates, and Nick Marshall at QB. We also had first-round draft pick Dee Ford on defense. We are terrible in Baton Rouge and have been for a really long time.

Last night #10 USC with a Heisman QB lost by 28 to Notre Dame. #19 Washington State lost by 38 to Arizona. 

We need some realistic perspective because we have very few NFL players on this roster, let alone first-round draft picks like that 2013 team. 

I mean we look terrible everywhere on the road. We look terrible against a 3-4 Cal on the road and we looked terrible against an A&M team who won't have a coach even though he has a 70+ million buyout. I don't think there is an unrealistic perspective that can be had when you look at how easy it is to get recruits in and flip a roster now. Mel Tucker made (and eventually lost) tens of millions dollars bringing in some B10 level dudes in his second season, and Hugh can't get in enough to score on the most hapless LSU defense in years? 
Is it unrealistic to ask them to score semi-consistently against anyone that isn't a FCS-type team? 

1 hour ago, EagleEye67 said:

Is this good news or bad news? 

Perhaps the next two home games will tell us.

Or, the good news is that this season is only half over.  Of course, the bad new is that this season is also only half over!

19 hours ago, cbo said:

Reminder that we have the 18th most talented team in the country, according to 247 rankings. And 7th in the SEC. 

Does it look like that to anyone?

Kind of did against Georgia, certainly hasn’t for most of the season.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I mean we look terrible everywhere on the road. We look terrible against a 3-4 Cal on the road and we looked terrible against an A&M team who won't have a coach even though he has a 70+ million buyout. I don't think there is an unrealistic perspective that can be had when you look at how easy it is to get recruits in and flip a roster now. Mel Tucker made (and eventually lost) tens of millions dollars bringing in some B10 level dudes in his second season, and Hugh can't get in enough to score on the most hapless LSU defense in years? 
Is it unrealistic to ask them to score semi-consistently against anyone that isn't a FCS-type team? 

It is not unrealistic and it’s also not unrealistic to expect the O to play better coming off a bye week with two weeks to prepare for this game. Don’t mind the two quarterback system, but it just seems like the timing is all off! Finally pick up a couple first downs then, OK let’s change quarterbacks. We stayed in the game with Georgia, running the football, and then I don’t think we had a running play until the third or fourth offensive possession against LSU and that same LSU team hadn’t stopped the run all year. I just don’t get it. 

These discussions seem like a constant reoccurrence of a bad dream.  We’ve had the same exact conversations for 5 yrs, even to the point of question whether the HC or the OC are calling the plays to which QB should be playing to the ineptitude of the WRs.  De Ja Vue!

• Like 5

22 minutes ago, keesler said:

These discussions seem like a constant reoccurrence of a bad dream.  We’ve had the same exact conversations for 5 yrs, even to the point of question whether the HC or the OC are calling the plays to which QB should be playing to the ineptitude of the WRs.  De Ja Vue!

image.gif.ca2312b9f08364d8472ff4e254d0ddae.gif

9 hours ago, keesler said:

My sentiments exactly.  

Our fans don’t have lofty championship aspirations this year, we fully understand the roster situation.  We do however, expect to see a well prepared team and a coach that put together a plan to put the best players in position to be successful on the field.  That silly QB rotation last night was dumbfounding and illogical to anyone watching it transpire. 

Why does this offensive scheme look so Gus-like, when defenses figured that crap out yrs ago?  

We got that at the UGA Game...

23 hours ago, JDUBB4AU said:

LOUD NOISES!!! I went and worked legs early. I had a moment 

In all honesty, to some extent you are right.  This is a new era, it is about buying players and having a good staff of developers and system adaptors to talent bought, either the AD/Boosters are gonna do it or not.  Are we gonna be a  small market team or a consistent contender? Do we wanna be a  farm team for the schools that wanna win championships?  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, keesler said:

People thought of that as a Gus thing but for any aged offensive HC who brings in OCs with a different scheme, it is a train of thought that’s always in the back of the fans mind, just waiting to show up in times of struggle. Hugh is going to meet this dilemma whether it’s Montgomery or the best OC in the world, if we start sucking. 

15 of the 22 starters are transfers.

Signed as freshman to Auburn breakdown

4 from Malzahn era, which would include all upper classman from juniors on up(Jr, redshirt Jr, senior, red shirt senior, super seniors.. Harsin 2 and Freeze 1 

Transfers:  Harsin 5 all on defense, Freeze 10, 8 offense and 2 defense.

1 hour ago, auburnphan said:

15 of the 22 starters are transfers.

Signed as freshman to Auburn breakdown

4 from Malzahn era, which would include all upper classman from juniors on up(Jr, redshirt Jr, senior, red shirt senior, super seniors.. Harsin 2 and Freeze 1 

Transfers:  Harsin 5 all on defense, Freeze 10, 8 offense and 2 defense.

I think I made the post before but I don’t know why Gus gets blamed much for how the roster looks like at this point tbh (I don’t think this was the point of this post specifically but it just came to me reading it).

Gus was fired before the 2020 class closed, so there were obviously a ton of decomits there. Then a ton of guys left in 2021 and 2022, bc obv no one outside of people who equated talking sternly and having a mean resting face to being the next coming of Pat Dye likes Bryan Harsin. And as you put, the last guys from his era anyway would pretty much be on their way out, year wise. 

I never understood blaming him for this particular team being bad, outside of the understandably bad feelings of us being only really solid for most of his time here and nothing more (I have to add this or they’ll call me a Gus fan) 

• Like 2