Post game thread: Ole Miss

TitanTiger

4 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Let me ask u this.  What would your mindset be about the program if our record is the same as now... but we lost game 42-35, 38-32 etc.. Would u feel differently about the projectory of the program?

I don’t know how this is related to my original point, but just to answer your question: yeah, if we looked way better on offense but worse on D, I’d feel better. 
From what I’ve seen conference wide, this isn’t a league with a ton of stellar defensive play outside of a few stalwarts. For our defense to be a top unit while also being undertalented and our offense to be either lesser talented than it was after last season with all the Gus and Harsin attrition OR worse coached than last year’s team, there’s no real excuse for that. 

I don’t even necessarily feel like we’ll suck in the future btw, I just haven’t seen a single encouraging thing about Freeze’s gameplan prepping or on the field management. And for people who say he’ll have more talent soon and he can focus more on the GPing after that, he had these unfocused slip ups in 2014 and 15 that prevented them from ever getting real glory. We’ll need him to buck multiple seasons of evidence to feel really confident that we’re getting a championship caliber on the field coach imo 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I don’t know how this is related to my original point, but just to answer your question: yeah, if we looked way better on offense but worse on D, I’d feel better. 
From what I’ve seen conference wide, this isn’t a league with a ton of stellar defensive play outside of a few stalwarts. For our defense to be a top unit while also being undertalented and our offense to be either lesser talented than it was after last season with all the Gus and Harsin attrition OR worse coached than last year’s team, there’s no real excuse for that. 

I don’t even necessarily feel like we’ll suck in the future btw, I just haven’t seen a single encouraging thing about Freeze’s gameplan prepping or on the field management. And for people who say he’ll have more talent soon and he can focus more on the GPing after that, he had these unfocused slip ups in 2014 and 15 that prevented them from ever getting real glory. We’ll need him to buck multiple seasons of evidence to feel really confident that we’re getting a championship caliber on the field coach imo 

U mentioned off. Wizardry in the post. It's all related.  Hugh won't run his offense.  He's afraid it will create stress on the thin def. We run a slow down, milk the clock offense. It produces putrid results on offense. Folks get ticked off. It's a vicious cycle

Edited by NWALA Tiger
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, Shift said:

I have not read all the other comments.  Maybe someone has already said this but:

I think the #1 issue this team is facing is unfamiliarity/chemistry.  Think about it.  Half the team did not know each other six months ago.  It takes time for teams to gel.  Throwing a bunch of transfer players (that don't know each other well/have never played together) together is not the most ideal situation. They don't know each other's tendencies.  There is no trust.  No familiarity. No chemistry.  It's evident at every position on the field.  At times, this team looks like a summer time backyard/play ground/neighborhood football team.  IMO, this explains the disorganization, individualism approach to the performance we have seen this season. 

Teams need time together to learn each others strengths/weaknesses/tendencies.  This team doesn't have that.  Transfer players are hired guns and are a temporary fix.  Not a long term solution.

But the defense is going through the same growing pains but has done a better job of meshing together so while not great they are serviceable but the offense is not bad they are pathetic so they question is why is the D meshing together so much better than the O.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Shift said:

I have not read all the other comments.  Maybe someone has already said this but:

I think the #1 issue this team is facing is unfamiliarity/chemistry.  Think about it.  Half the team did not know each other six months ago.  It takes time for teams to gel.  Throwing a bunch of transfer players (that don't know each other well/have never played together) together is not the most ideal situation. They don't know each other's tendencies.  There is no trust.  No familiarity. No chemistry.  It's evident at every position on the field.  At times, this team looks like a summer time backyard/play ground/neighborhood football team.  IMO, this explains the disorganization, individualism approach to the performance we have seen this season. 

Teams need time together to learn each others strengths/weaknesses/tendencies.  This team doesn't have that.  Transfer players are hired guns and are a temporary fix.  Not a long term solution.

we took 45 kids in the portal. usually we get twenty something so that is a ton of new faces.

• Like 1

Is being an Auburn football fan akin to being in a abusive relationship? How about a relationship where one side undermines and works against the other side with every weapon of destruction, from financial to relational stability? Asking for a friend?

11 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

He’s protecting the defense at the expense of his offensive personnel. Just as I suspected. Sh*tty move.

Well I am from Missouri and would like to see what happens if that’s actually the case or an excuse that is suppose to be taken for face value 

16 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

He’s protecting the defense at the expense of his offensive personnel. Just as I suspected. Sh*tty move.

He thinks that's his best chance to win so far this yr. I hope we see more hurry up there next 4 games when the talent level is more equal

10 minutes ago, e808 said:

Well I am from Missouri and would like to see what happens if that’s actually the case or an excuse that is suppose to be taken for face valu

Freeze has said this repeatedly.  " I dont want Marcus Harris to have to play 80 snaps". Right or wrong thats what he thinks

I have been a die hard Auburn fan My entire life both my parents graduated in 68 and I learned from them that Auburn has had ups and downs

why are we so dead set on being like this 

support our guys no matter what the outcome is on the field 

we are not on the field,we are not coaching.Yeah it be awesome if we won every game but that’s not how sports work we have winners and losers and these players most likely think they are trying their best and if that’s what they are doing then I support them 

I have only seen them look defeated once this year and that was at LSU and I get it I played sports for teams that always had loosing seasons or maybe a little better than 500 

when you get out scored that quick with no way to really come back I see why these kids and yeah their kids can feel defeated 

come on AU family we love our teams no matter what 

Give CHF a chance to build a badass team/program we will get there we just have this season in our way 

our guys have talent and the coaches are trying I’m not gonna boo,insult,or demean our team or coaches just because we are loosing 

WAR EAGLE!!!!

34 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Freeze has said this repeatedly.  " I dont want Marcus Harris to have to play 80 snaps". Right or wrong thats what he thinks

So he is saying there is no one on the roster capable of giving him a breather. That doesn’t make sense . If he truly thought that the first few games should have been used to build a rotation 

1 hour ago, Svtford24 said:

I have been a die hard Auburn fan My entire life both my parents graduated in 68 and I learned from them that Auburn has had ups and downs

we are not on the field,we are not coaching.Yeah it be awesome if we won every game but that’s not how sports work we have winners and losers and these players most likely think they are trying their best and if that’s what they are doing then I support them 

I have only seen them look defeated once this year and that was at LSU and I get it I played sports for teams that always had loosing seasons or maybe a little better than 500 

when you get out scored that quick with no way to really come back I see why these kids and yeah their kids can feel defeated 

Give CHF a chance to build a badass team/program we will get there we just have this season in our way 

our guys have talent and the coaches are trying I’m not gonna boo,insult,or demean our team or coaches just because we are loosing 

WAR EAGLE!!!!

For me it’s not about a chance . It’s about the how and current product. If things don’t get turned around I don’t recall the last time Auburn had three seasons with 6 or less wins.

Players are getting paid, coaches are making outlandish money and fans are paying a lot. You can support the team but not be ok with the current results

Edited by e808

3 hours ago, Shoney'sPonyBoy said:

This.

And this is what concerns me about Freeze.  I get it that he doesn't have what he needs to really do much yet.  But he's been very disappointing IMO so far about making the best use of what he's got.  The end of the game demonstrated that we could have utilized a dink-dunk short passing game all night last night.  Instead we went into the fourth quarter with only 6 attempts and 5 passing yards.  We rolled Robbie Ashford out on a run-pass option once...ONCE last night.  I would do that with him every play he's in the game.  Even if it's just to loosen up the defense so that the running game will be more effective...how many games do we think we can win averaging 2 passing attempts per quarter?

Whether people like it or not, recruiting is largely in the hands of fundraisers now, so Freeze doesn't 100% control his own destiny when it comes to getting the players he wants/needs to do what he'd like to do.  And I don't have any real knowledge about how we stack up against other teams when it comes to dishing out NIL money—so this may not be the case at all—but it would be a very Auburn thing to do to have a faction of old white boosters who resent paying players and who would rather sabotage or neglect that process just to prove they could rather than lean into and pay for the players we need.

We should be offering more money than anyone else in the conference right now given the ground we've got to make up.  If we're not, then Freeze is going to have to learn how to make do with what he's got a whole lot better than he has demonstrated the ability to do so far.

From what I have been told, NIL fund sourcing isn't an issue.  We are making strides in recruiting.  Unfortunately, we sacrificed 3 classes.  The Covid year combined with the partial staff mutiny that year and both of Harsin's classes were disasters. 

25 minutes ago, e808 said:

So he is saying there is no one on the roster capable of giving him a breather. That doesn’t make sense . If he truly thought that the first few games should have been used to build a rotation 

I think his point is, if he runs warp speed on offense,  that will in turn create more snaps the defense has to play.  Whether it be because of quick scores or going 3 and out. If he milks the clock, relies on the running game, even if he goes 3 and out , the D will not have to play as many snaps. I wish he would just run his RPO fast pace offense and let the chips fall where they may as far as the D is concerned.  His concern is the defensive depth as a whole 

Edited by NWALA Tiger
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, Svtford24 said:

WAR EAGLE!!!!

Agree completely.

Guys, this is not peewee football. Everyone is not a winner. We all do not get trophies. There are consequences to actions. There are also results for product or lack therof. These are essential lessons to learn in young adulthood, whether in competition, classroom, or working. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

This season was supposed to be an easy 8 win one. The SEC is VERY wide open to the point that MIZZOU looks like the 2nd - 3rd best team in the conference. The fact that we probably can't squeeze in even 7 wins would be sad...and the SEC is going to be MUCH better next year when Bama and UGA get a 5-star QB apiece and return a good share of their players. 

The defense is going to have to play better than they already are, and the offense is going to have to be 3-4x better just to get us to 7 wins. 

5 minutes ago, HabitualChiller said:

This season was supposed to be an easy 8 win one. The SEC is VERY wide open to the point that MIZZOU looks like the 2nd - 3rd best team in the conference. The fact that we probably can't squeeze in even 7 wins would be sad...and the SEC is going to be MUCH better next year when Bama and UGA get a 5-star QB apiece and return a good share of their players. 

The defense is going to have to play better than they already are, and the offense is going to have to be 3-4x better just to get us to 7 wins. 

Obviously all the assumptions used to predict  an 8 win season were as incorrect as assuming Mizzou would remain the same. The data we used to make those predictions were obviously horribly flawed.

6 hours ago, DAG said:

If that is true , that is some very bad logic on his part. You score points and maybe , just maybe it positively effect your defense because it causes the other team to change their own strategy. What’s the difference now? The defense still lacks depth and injuries occur, I believe more so because they are on the field all the dang time for 3 And outs. 

It’s asinine. We had six 3 and outs last night. It doesn’t help the D for the offense to be terrible. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, DKW 86 said:

Thank you. Talent is the issue.  

**Talent is an issue.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, e808 said:

For me it’s not about a chance . It’s about the how and current product. If things don’t get turned around I don’t recall the last time Auburn had three seasons with 6 or less wins.

Players are getting paid, coaches are making outlandish money and fans are paying a lot. You can support the team but not be ok with the current results

There’s always a first time for everything 

I’m just saying every year is different 

a lot the people on here must not accept things the way they are 

if you yourself can’t can’t change the issue why complain 

• Facepalm 1

7 minutes ago, Svtford24 said:

There’s always a first time for everything 

I’m just saying every year is different 

a lot the people on here must not accept things the way they are 

if you yourself can’t can’t change the issue why complain 

In accordance to ur last sentence that means no one on this forum has the right to voice their concerns. Without the fans there is no program. No one person can affect change unless u the big money guys but collectively fans can affect change as well. Once the bottom line starts to be affected moves will be made