Shula, Two more years at Capstone?

DKW 86

Link

Shula hopes to avoid THREE OF A KIND

Sunday, August 28, 2005

STEVE KIRK

News staff writer

TUSCALOOSA -- University of Alabama President Robert Witt says football coach Mike Shula is not in danger of being fired this year even if he fails to win enough games to satisfy the expectations of Crimson Tide fans.

"It will be another two years before we're back to full strength (after NCAA scholarship sanctions)," Witt said in a recent interview. "He has my complete confidence, and he will have all of the time he needs to regain full strength and build his program."

Shula has a 10-15 record in his first two seasons as a head coach - 4-9 followed by 6-6. Some fans wonder if he can turn the program around fast enough.

"My name was on the hot seat from Day 1," Shula said last month.

But the university's decision-makers, Witt and Athletics Director Mal Moore, said the circumstances Shula inherited make it necessary for patience. In June, they granted Shula, 40, a one-year extension on his contract through Jan. 31, 2010, although his annual salary of $900,000 was not increased.

"He came into a very difficult situation," Witt said. "He had literally two or three weeks to get ready for his first season (in 2003, after Witt fired Mike Price for off-the-field behavior after spring practice). We were hit with very severe injuries last year and were dealing with the full impact of sanctions (21 scholarship losses from 2002 to 2004).

"We are still not back to full strength. The recruiting class that came to campus last fall was at full strength, but the two previous years we were recruiting under sanctions, so smaller recruiting classes are moving through system."

Alabama has 77 players on scholarship instead of the NCAA-maximum 85. But Moore said the quality of freshman signees Shula brought to Tuscaloosa in the past two years is indicative of the progress he's looking for.

"As I've said many times, I think a strength of Coach Shula is his ability to recruit," Moore said. "And he has shown that. That is so crucial - his past recruiting year, this coming recruiting year and the next one on down - as we build back the numbers of this team and get in position where players can be redshirted.

"Last year we played 12 true freshmen. And we will play true freshmen again. That says that the team doesn't have the age and maturity of the teams we will be facing."

Taking off the Orange and Blue Glasses here for a sec. I know the :ua: folks want to win, we all do. But Moore is right about shutting down the revolving door of coaches at Bama. I think he might have seen this in hiring Price and Shula too. No coach in his right mind wants to go to a school that is getting rid of coaches as fast as it is hiring them.

All joking aside, Shula with some real troops in there may be just fine. Read the whole article. I agree with most, if not all. Shula past 2006 at least maybe 2007.

Remember this too. Bama has not caved in or given up in games. The D is well coached. The O is so tore up, who knows. Shula is calming the waters at :ua: and that is a very good thing in the long haul.

I'm completely floored. I figured a lot of people would have Shula's head on the chopping block this year. Shula has done a great job working through a lot of adversity that he did nothing to cause. He's new to head coaching, there were obviously going to be some growing-pains; I think he's done a great job. Alabama would've been a scary team last year if Croyle had stayed healthy (I hate saying it, but AU wouldn't have been 13-0 if Croyle had been in the Iron Bowl). Shula has a lot of potential.

Witt said in a recent interview. "He has my complete confidence, and he will have all of the time he needs to regain full strength and build his program."

Oh no, the dreaded vote of confidence. It appears that Shula's days are numbered.

I'm completely floored.  I figured a lot of people would have Shula's head on the chopping block this year.  Shula has done a great job working through a lot of adversity that he did nothing to cause.  He's new to head coaching, there were obviously going to be some growing-pains; I think he's done a great job.  Alabama would've been a scary team last year if Croyle had stayed healthy (I hate saying it, but AU wouldn't have been 13-0 if Croyle had been in the Iron Bowl).  Shula has a lot of potential.

176896[/snapback]

That's a joke right? Had Croyle stayed healthy I believe Bama would have gone 6-6. Their running game and D played way WAY over their heads after he went down.

Not a joke at all. Alabama had a very talented defense last year. Kenneth Darby was a workhorse-type back (typical Alabama running back). They would've beat Tennessee as well, if they had a QB that could make a throw. The running game was forced into the spotlight, but the talent was there all along. Their defense was good to start the season and really wouldn't have felt the impact of Croyle going down.

I'm completely floored.  I figured a lot of people would have Shula's head on the chopping block this year.  Shula has done a great job working through a lot of adversity that he did nothing to cause.  He's new to head coaching, there were obviously going to be some growing-pains; I think he's done a great job.  Alabama would've been a scary team last year if Croyle had stayed healthy (I hate saying it, but AU wouldn't have been 13-0 if Croyle had been in the Iron Bowl).  Shula has a lot of potential.

176896[/snapback]

Auburn not 13-0 if Croyle played??? Bama still wouldn't have won. It would have been alot higher scoring. Auburn got the lead back real quick in that game then played conservitively. Croyle wont make it to this years Iron Bowl.

Archived