My Thoughts From the Stadium (Mississippi State 2023)

abw0004

It was definitely more of a subdued crowd than what I was expecting.  Maybe it was because Miss State is terrible or it was jumping out to a nice lead but it felt more like an 11AM kickoff against a cupcake.  The stadium emptied out a considerable amount after the half.  

thanks for the article. they never fail to impress.

as a dad of 2 recent AU grads, i was kinda disappointed in the student section honestly....but thats being nit-picky.  that part of the south EZ was half empty in mid 3rd qtr.  however, we won and thats all that matters!

3 hours ago, Win4AU said:

It was definitely more of a subdued crowd than what I was expecting.  Maybe it was because Miss State is terrible or it was jumping out to a nice lead but it felt more like an 11AM kickoff against a cupcake.  The stadium emptied out a considerable amount after the half.  

Losing last week hurt. Don't worry, the IB is going to be a circus. I wish I could go!

6 hours ago, abw0004 said:

Marching Band:  It was going to be hard to beat what the marching band did last game.  And this show did not disappoint, especially if you are of military-mind.  The band honored each branch of the military in their formations forming a jet flying, tank with an animation shooting the cannon, and a submarine diving under the water.  I want to say it was similar to the show last year, but either way it was still fun.

The AUMB has done that show with the same formations in the past, but it was further back than last year. They typically rotate some of the same elements and songs around every few years because it's difficult to keep pumping out brand-new Military Appreciation Shows every year.

That being said, I think it was wonderful too. I loved "God Bless the USA" to close it out.  Great follow-up to the Metallica show. Our band is phenomenal. 

Edited by all4AU
  • Like 1

I’m nitpicking myself a little bit. Love everything you said except for one thing. The statement on it taking time for Freeze’s recruits to develop into SEC caliber players… Not necessarily true. First, our transfer portal players will probably be a level up this year now that Freeze has had some time as the head coach. He had to scramble to sign people he hadn’t been recruiting to Auburn last year. Second, it kind of depends on position as to how quickly they can make an impact. Quarterbacks pretty much always need time to develop. However, offensive skill players can generally make an impact early.  And quality defensive line recruits allow us to rotate bodies to keep people fresh. So, some of the players will take a bit to have an impact. Others will create that impact more quickly. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, all4AU said:

it's difficult to keep pumping out brand-new Military Appreciation Shows every year.

Well just play all of John Philip Sousa songs and be done with it.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

Well just play all of John Philip Sousa songs and be done with it.

As a Veteran, I’d be good with Crazy Train, Bama (one of the few times I will not say the full word) Breeze and Love Me When I’m Gone and we good.  

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Dwayne Pride said:

As a Veteran, I’d be good with Crazy Train, Bama (one of the few times I will not say the full word) Breeze and Love Me When I’m Gone and we good.  

Assuming you're talking about 3 Doors Down and Skynyrd?

3 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

Assuming you're talking about 3 Doors Down and Skynyrd?

If I was going Skynard, it would be Gimme Back My Bullets. 

However, their best song is Ballad of Curtis Lowe. 

• Like 3

On 10/30/2023 at 7:28 AM, abw0004 said:

Good morning everyone,

I hope this thread finds you well on this Halloween Eve.  It is hard to believe that tomorrow is already Halloween and kids will be running through yards and walking the sidewalks to fill up their bags with candy.  You never realize how expensive candy is until you purchase your first home.  I learned that pretty quick a few years ago, but in the end, it is fun to help make fun memories for the kids in your neighborhood.  Auburn got their first SEC win of the season, and the first SEC win for Freeze during his Auburn tenure.  Let's jump in!

Weather:  I am starting with this because the temperature was unusually warm on Saturday.  With the high hitting 84, it definitely did not feel like an October Saturday.  It felt like an early September game to me.  Luckily there was  light breeze to make things a little cooler, and with it being later in the year we were immediately in the shade for our seats.

Booing:  I wanted to follow up on last weeks section on the booing.  To recap, last week there was some booing heard when Thorne's name was announced as the starter as well as a few drives when we went three and out.  This week, I did not hear Thorne booed, which made me feel better as when he was announced I will not lie, I was wincing a little bit expecting to hear a few boos.  In fact, at the end of each quarter a lot of the fans were clapping for the performance on the field.  Naturally there were more claps in the first half with how we played compared to the second half.

Military Appreciation:  This game for Auburn was military appreciation day.  As we have done in the past, at different times, each branch of the military was asked to stand up so they could be recognized.  I am glad we do this and dedicate a game to our heroes.  Something a little more touching this year, was we had a family come of a solider who was still missing in action.  It is important to recognize not only our service members in the audience, but those who have fallen or are still missing.  The announcer on the PA got really choked up when speaking on this, which I have never heard him do.  He never breaks character, which makes me wonder if he has a close one serving or one that never came home.

Marching Band:  It was going to be hard to beat what the marching band did last game.  And this show did not disappoint, especially if you are of military-mind.  The band honored each branch of the military in their formations forming a jet flying, tank with an animation shooting the cannon, and a submarine diving under the water.  I want to say it was similar to the show last year, but either way it was still fun.

Turning the Corner:  I would like to think this game was a good statement for us that when we face similar talent, we have the coaching to win it.  I say that in the sense of our talent being so low currently, it has been an obstacle difficult to overcome this season.  This is why recruiting has become paramount for us, but I also say that with a caveat.  Even when these players arrive on campus, they still need time to develop into SEC veterans.  Rarely do you see players come in and ready to compete for the starting position day one.  It is going to take patience, as many said at the beginning of the season.  That is hard to remember sometimes as you want instant gratification, but I would rather build a solid foundation first and then construct the house, than to just throw up the house because you want to move in ASAP.

Bowl Game Probable:  With this win against Mississippi State, we now sit at four wins.  We have the odds to get to six wins at the minimum, which will put us over the hump and get a bowl game.  To me, that is progress.  Slow progress, but progress nonetheless.  We have a chance to go on a four win streak heading into the Iron Bowl, and if we do that, we have a chance to win that one as well.  That game is at home, and when you play in Jordan-Hare, anything is possible.

We have two away games at Vanderbilt and at Arkansas coming up, so I will see you again after the New Mexico State game.  :wareagle:

I appreciate the approach you use in this thread. Thx

• Like 3