can we finally put the qb controversy to rest?

aubiefifty

10 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

just ask him how big a boy he is..........i have known woodford for over twenty years and let me say he IS the authority on this board and you would do well to remember  this..................

Does he know he is messin’ with Roy D. Mercer?  

• Haha 1

On 11/1/2023 at 7:45 PM, ScotsAU said:

This violates board rules. Not allowed to make character attacks on players, especially not unfounded ones.

“A rule we have always had in place here is that nobody bashes the players.  This rule has been in effect for well over 20 years and remains in effect. 

Some here seem to think it’s ok to take personal shots at them since "they are getting paid now.”  Let this be a reminder that at it is NEVER OK to bash players on these forums.  This extends to EVERY sport and NIL does not negate it.

Keep negative remarks about players about play on the field/court.  There’s a difference in saying a player isn’t getting the job done or they aren’t an SEC caliber player vs calling them a loser POS or saying they suck. 

Admins and Mods will edit posts as necessary at their discretion and warnings (including suspensions and bans) are possible for habitual offenders.”

That rule damn sure didn't matter when discussing Bo Nix.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, TeamZero77 said:

That rule damn sure didn't matter when discussing Bo Nix.

Didn’t think s*** talking him should’ve been allowed either.

• Like 1

The qb controversy was always disengenious. The problems at auburn have always been less about the qb and more about what surrounded him. I feel like Freeze knows this and is recruiting hard to fix this

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, shabby said:

The qb controversy was always disengenious. The problems at auburn have always been less about the qb and more about what surrounded him. I feel like Freeze knows this and is recruiting hard to fix this

There are multiple examples over the last 40 years where it absolutely was a QB problem. The last 5 or so years not so much 

• Like 1

Qb is still an issue . One game of course changes the narrative around here. In a climate where he has time, lack of pass rush and a good running game, Thorne has always been adequate . This was how he also was at Michigan state. He is not the type that is going to lift your team against like opponents or an opponent with more talent (maybe he proves me wrong). Put someone like Sanders at QB on this team and the narrative about the others would change. 

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, DAG said:

Qb is still an issue . One game of course changes the narrative around here. In a climate where he has time, lack of pass rush and a good running game, Thorne has always been adequate . This was how he also was at Michigan state. He is not the type that is going to lift your team against like opponents or an opponent with more talent (maybe he proves me wrong). Put someone like Sanders at QB on this team and the narrative about the others would change. 

Agree. He will look good against Vandy, Arkansas, and New Mexico State, assuming we have a competent game plan. 

I want to see how he plays against Bama. That will tell us if he has truly improved and we can count on him next season. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, cbo said:

Agree. He will look good against Vandy, Arkansas, and New Mexico State, assuming we have a competent game plan. 

I want to see how he plays against Bama. That will tell us if he has truly improved and we can count on him next season. 

I think Ark. will be much tougher.

• Like 1

Thorne was 9 of 14, 2 TDs and 1 Int vs Cal.  On the game winning drive I think he was 4 for 4.    What would have made us more happy?   12 of 14, 3 Tds and no picks.   That is a pretty high bar.    

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Hank2020 said:

I think Ark. will be much tougher.

You're probably right. I'm thinking at that point of the season, Thorne should be comfortable enough to play well against Ark. But that's definitely not guaranteed. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, LPTiger said:

Thorne was 9 of 14, 2 TDs and 1 Int vs Cal.  On the game winning drive I think he was 4 for 4.    What would have made us more happy?   12 of 14, 3 Tds and no picks.   That is a pretty high bar.    

I think they would have called a more balanced game had they had confidence in him. IMO

2 minutes ago, LPTiger said:

That's the one game I missed this season. Why didn't Thorne get more attempts? A lot of Ashford?

I truly wish we had gone with Thorne full time from the beginning. 

25 minutes ago, LPTiger said:

Right. What is Cal's record? I expect him to be good to great against the cal's of the world. I want to see what he does against equal or better talent. It has been one game. Let's hope he keeps being consistent, the staff keeps building around him, so we can win against Bama. And yes, he will have to elevate his game, like many QBs in our past against them to win.

11 hours ago, cbo said:

You're probably right. I'm thinking at that point of the season, Thorne should be comfortable enough to play well against Ark. But that's definitely not guaranteed. 

I’m convinced Thorne being “comfortable” rests more on the coaching staffs decisions rather than himself and his teammates. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, LPTiger said:

You're forgetting the fumble on the first drive.  Until that final drive Thorne looked pretty shaken, and has been shaky in every other road game too.  I know this is just Vanderbilt but he needs to look poised and confident on the road before I am confident he's turned the corner.  I do believe the 2 QB system has added to his lack of confidence and poise though, at this point it's ride or die with him...

13 hours ago, cbo said:

That's the one game I missed this season. Why didn't Thorne get more attempts? A lot of Ashford?

I truly wish we had gone with Thorne full time from the beginning. 

I was an odd game for many different reasons.   My wife and I road tripped with 9 other couples.  It's a long trip.   Our team traveled on Thursday.   Then on gameday, what does the team do all day when the kick is at 9:30 central. The atmosphere was odd.   Stadium about 60% full.    Cal ran 78 plays to our 55.   They missed 3 FGs.  Our defense was bend not break.   We lost 3 fumbles and threw a pick.  Cal possessed the ball for 9:30 longer than we did.   We were very unbalanced offensively -- 38 runs to 17 passes.   PT missed his first 2 passes then finished 9 of 12.   At one point, PT had back to back completions, and we brought in Robbie who went complete for 0 yards and then incomplete, punt.   Another possession started with Robbie and on 3rd and 15 PT was sent back in.   As I said, it was odd.  

• Like 1