NMSU Post mortem

TitanTiger

Did Gus ever have a loss at Jordan-Hare as embarrassing as this one? I can't remember it if he did, I can't remember anything even close. We almost lost to Jax State one year but we  pulled it out in OT.

Just now, e808 said:

Absolutely agree . It might even go down to the wire. If CHF win a bunch of games in time this bad performance will fade

Right now, that's a big IF.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, autiger88 said:

No need to get blackout drunk but we antifreezers have been saying this.. 

I was a freshman at Auburn in 2013 and me and my roommate used to call Hugh Freeze discount Gus Malzahn. Worst loss in program history. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Dan-0 said:

Did Gus ever have a loss at Jordan-Hare as embarrassing as this one? I can't remember it if he did, I can't remember anything even close. We almost lost to Jax State one year but we  pulled it out in OT.

NO, and I truly can’t remember a more embarrassing loss.

• Like 1

Just now, TitanTiger said:

Someone posted this on the Rivals forum but it basically echoes my thoughts.

1.  Today's loss and the effort therein was inexcusable and ultimately that's on the coaching staff. 

2.  I still believe Freeze has us heading in the right direction.

Both of those things can be true and, I think, are.

We don’t have a choice but to support him 100% for the next 2 years.  The alternative is far more damaging to our program.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, AUApostle said:

Good recruiter and good play caller…not sure about the rest.

How can you say that after today's effort?  The difference between NMSU's play calling and ours was huge.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, DAG said:

I think I read on “X” formerly know as twitter that he said he could tell there was a difference in practice intensity this week. WTF that is your job to address. I am getting worried. 

Exactly. If you see an issue with intensity, it should only take one team meeting immediately when you see it to get it fixed.

• Like 2

Just now, WDEagle said:

How can you say that after today's effort?  The difference between NMSU's play calling and ours was huge.

He wasn’t calling the plays lmao 

21 minutes ago, tomcat said:

Obviously a less than stellar coaching job, but the players were the ones on the field sleep walking. Gotta have some pride, suck it up and beat the guy in front of you. A consistent fail today.

If my memory was any good, I may be able to come up with that was more dishonorable. But until that happens, this is my worst memory. And I’ve been watching in earnest since 1964!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, AUApostle said:

We don’t have a choice but to support him 100% for the next 2 years.  The alternative is far more damaging to our program.

Well, I'm not saying that because "we don't have a choice."  I actually think he's moving us in the right direction, this inexcusable loss today not withstanding.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TitanTiger said:

Someone posted this on the Rivals forum but it basically echoes my thoughts.

1.  Today's loss and the effort therein was inexcusable and ultimately that's on the coaching staff. 

2.  I still believe Freeze has us heading in the right direction.

Both of those things can be true and, I think, are.

Eh, IMHO I think that is just wishful thinking...or hoping for the best. I mean we just let a team that has never beat an SEC team in 25 years beat us. How can one think he has us heading in the right direction, the only thing that appears to be going better is recruiting. I guess if that is your only measure then that is better but from what I have seen with the play calling and coaching I have not seen anything that indicates he has us going in the right direction, pretty much the opposite. This was an embarrassing loss and until he appears to have the team ready to play week in and week out then I have no faith we are headed anywhere except wandering in the desert.

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, gr82b4au said:

I thought NMSU was the better team. Much better. 
Just shows we have a long way to go. 

Sums it up. They were the better, more physical team which was surprising. They didn’t even play that well and still blew us out at home. No excuses. Just have to get better. 

• Like 1

Just now, WDEagle said:

Looking historically at his body of work.  Today? Our O didn’t have much of a chance due to penalties, lethargic effort, and lack of volume.  It wasn’t about the playcalling.  Today’s tone was set by a D not able to get off the field…and not having the team in the right mindset all week.

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Maverick.AU said:

I'm not anti freeze, I've had my questions and doubts sure, but I'll say this. This is one of the worst performances in AU football history. Top to bottom an absolutely embarrassing performance. I was getting real hopeful over the past month or so but this game made me take a step back. I still have faith in freeze but man this was absolutely horrendous and does cast doubt over the future.

I really thought we had started to show some improvement, especially after going on the road and beating Arkansas like we did, but all that was wiped away, with this beat down we just had.  Total embarrassment.  

1 minute ago, bishoptf said:

Eh, IMHO I think that is just wishful thinking...or hoping for the best. I mean we just let a team that has never beat an SEC team in 25 years beat us. How can one think he has us heading in the right direction, the only thing that appears to be going better is recruiting. I guess if that is your only measure then that is better but from what I have seen with the play calling and coaching I have not seen anything that indicates he has us going in the right direction, pretty much the opposite. This was an embarrassing loss and until he appears to have the team ready to play week in and week out then I have no faith we are headed anywhere except wandering in the desert.

Duly noted.

@DAG

"Going to have to be much better then where we are now. Imagine what is going through Coleman’s head right now? "

Hopefully his meeting with OTV and seeing a clear path the starting is all that matters

• Like 1

Saban lost to La Monroe his first year. These games happen when a team isn’t a ton more talented than the 25point underdog. We need better players and Freeze is addressing that. Damn we’re a finicky fan base

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Didba said:

He wasn’t calling the plays lmao 

Why not if he is so good?  Not much of a head coach for letting the terrible play calling continue.  Hell, just call more passing since the run wasn't working but nooooooo

Screenshot 2023-11-18 212922.jpg

Edited by WDEagle

Looking historically at his body of work.  Today? Our O didn’t have much of a chance due to penalties, lethargic effort, and lack of volume.  It wasn’t about the playcalling.  Today’s tone was set by a D not able to get off the field…and not having the team in the right mindset all week.

Well said.

1 minute ago, jluvah said:

Saban lost to La Monroe his first year. These games happen when a team isn’t a ton more talented than the 25point underdog. We need better players and Freeze is addressing that. Damn we’re a finicky fan base

@cbo 🤣

• Haha 4

Just now, W.E.D said:

@DAG

"Going to have to be much better then where we are now. Imagine what is going through Coleman’s head right now? "

Hopefully his meeting with OTV and seeing a clear path the starting is all that matters

And just generally speaking, big time players don't make college decisions based on one game no matter how good or bad.  They can literally sign with any school they want to and typically don't make emotional decisions.  They're looking for opportunity to make an impact and get to the league (and now, NIL money as well).  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, W.E.D said:

@DAG

Yep, the future is these new guys coming in. Just got to let it play out. 

• Like 1

Thorne was 15/19.  The run was not working.  Definitely play calling problem if we can't figure that out what was working and what wasn't.

3 minutes ago, jluvah said:

I wish folks would quit making that comparison HF and Saban aren't close to being the same coaching caliber. Nick Saban had won something, CHF hasn't and it's not even close so lets stop using that as an example...

Edited by bishoptf
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Love 1