NMSU Post mortem

TitanTiger

7 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

Antifreezers have your fun.

We won’t. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Maverick.AU said:

I'm not anti freeze, I've had my questions and doubts sure, but I'll say this. This is one of the worst performances in AU football history. Top to bottom an absolutely embarrassing performance. I was getting real hopeful over the past month or so but this game made me take a step back. I still have faith in freeze but man this was absolutely horrendous and does cast doubt over the future.

If it makes you feel better, I am anti-Freeze and I have pretty similar thoughts! 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, TitanTiger said:

Truth be known, I was worried about this game being too close for comfort.  Just seemed like a classic trap game before the Iron Bowl with an opponent that's better than the name on their jerseys typically make you think.  But I was more worried about sleepwalking to an ugly win than actually losing, much less losing this badly. 

So deflating after the momentum built by the last few weeks, especially that emphatic beatdown on the road last week.

Yeah, the refs were terrible.  Seemed like every time we made a play, laundry was on the field when we were on offense.  And that missed call on the fumble down 17-7 was a dagger.  But we just should not lose to New Mexico State even in a down or rebuilding year.  Period.  How this team gets back up to put up a fight next week vs Bama eludes my imagination.

We better have a safe word before it gets started next week. Bama will beat us like we stole their lunch money.

6 minutes ago, WeaglWeaglWDE said:

NMST coach "I think we dominated the game up front." 

Without 

a

doubt.

kudos

5 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

Antifreezers have your fun.

I don't want to have fun. I'd like to win some football games and not look like a dumpster fire. I have seen nothing from a coaching stand point this year that tells me he knows what he is doing, this was an embarrassing loss and I lay it at the feet of the coaching staff. As much as I hated watching Harsin, CHF has been worse than Harsin and I was hoping that was not going to be the case, just the worst coaching job bar none...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, WeaglWeaglWDE said:

Based on energy and demeanor, this game was over at the half. It seemed like there was nothing to play for. Like they said "Hey we got our bowl game, we can chill now." 

Saw no fire. Hate it. 

It was over when it started. It was clear as day this team thought showing up would be enough. No clue why any of them would think that. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, DAG said:

It was over when it started. It was clear as day this team thought showing up would be enough. No clue why any of them would think that. 

The part that gets me is that demeanor never left, it was there the whole game. I have to give kudos to Faulk tho, he busted his tail, unlike many others

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, cbo said:

I honestly thought this would be a close game. We were feeling good about ourselves and looking ahead to Bama. I didn't say it on here because I didn't want to hear that I was being negative. 

I thought if we turned the ball over and they had a big play or two, it would be a close game. 

But none of those things happened. No turnovers and no big plays. We were methodically dominated. 

We didn't just lose. We were blown out. 

When have we had a worse loss?

Losing to USF at home was bad, needing a last second onside kick and TD against Utah St was bad (but a win), losing to TAM in 2012 was bad, losing to a horrible Tenn at home with 3 turnovers was bad, but this game takes the cake. The coaches should have to run stadiums with the rest of the team till they all puke.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Never2Yield said:

We should opt out. Don't deserve a bowl game.

Yikes. 

5 minutes ago, Maverick.AU said:

I'm not anti freeze, I've had my questions and doubts sure, but I'll say this. This is one of the worst performances in AU football history. Top to bottom an absolutely embarrassing performance. I was getting real hopeful over the past month or so but this game made me take a step back. I still have faith in freeze but man this was absolutely horrendous and does cast doubt over the future.

As it should. Dude is on his last leg coaching at this level and this is what he is bringing to the table. First not even being the damn OC, now giving us a god awful loss. Only way he can make this is is to get a top tier class. 

• Like 6

I was ready to move on from Gus when we let him go. But if I had known firing him would put the program in a three year tailspin I would have said don't fire Gus, keep him, and maybe Bo Nix would have stayed too. I know, hindsight is 20/20, but I have never seen a coaching staff who can get less out of a team than this one. This team has talent, maybe not elite talent, but certainly good enough to play so much better than they did today.

• Like 3

Just now, DAG said:

Exactly this.  Nothing about this season suggests we're good enough to beat people by just showing up the way UGA, Bama and others can right now.  These guys got full of themselves and thought they could loaf their way to a win while having their minds on the Iron Bowl and got a rude awakening.  We are not that good.  Not yet anyway.

• Like 5

Our coaching staff did their best with a short-handed roster against a superior, veteran squad led by a Manziel-like, magical QB.  Coaches had them ready and prepared, just didn’t have enough dry-powder in the keg.

• Like 2
  • Haha 6
  • Facepalm 3

Just now, Tiger Refuge said:

Be interesting to see how Freeze handles the presser.

I don't want to hear a damn word out of him right now!

• Thanks 1
  • Dislike 1

2 minutes ago, DAG said:

Apparently a lack of maturity/experience and a lack of leaders with enough passion and respect to pick guys up and turn their mindframe around. Just spiraled. Or The Replacement's "quicksand". 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, gr82b4au said:

I thought NMSU was the better team. Much better. 
Just shows we have a long way to go. 

This is both true and the rational way to look at this game.

I still want someone to PAY for that loss.

• Like 1