Bama Postgame

bishoptf

I had zero expectations for this game so keep that in mind while reading the comments below

Players showed some fight tonight throughout the game … couldve laid down but I saw solid effort most of the game 

had every, and I mean EVERY, chance to win … the bama Center might not have made it back to the bus had they not won … BUT … nobody steps on their own dick like the AU program

the play calling inside the 10 on the last FG drive was expectedly horrendous … got to step on their throats when given the opportunity 

just an absolutely moronic attempt to field the punt late in the 4th … I hate calling out players but when it’s deserved it’s deserved

with that said on the last play you have to have “player instincts” … don’t care if a coach tells you to just stand up & don’t let the QB by you as a player you have to try to crate some havoc … it was 4th & forever … even if he starts to run you’ve got a good shot at getting him on the ground … terrible coaching but can’t lay all the blame on coaches for that play 

WR definitely got away with PI on the TD play … I wonder if an AU WR would’ve gotten away with that push?  That’s a rhetorical question btw 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, theweegler said:

is it asking too much to have a smart coach? A guy who understands situations? A guy who knows who his punt returner is? A guy who doesn’t rotate QBs for over half the season? A guy who can actually “out coach” some of his peers? I don’t think that’s asking too much. Especially considering the amount of money he’s being paid. 
Everyone keeps talking about the talent gap, yeah I get that, but is a team full of 5 stars never gonna have to be coached? I can’t wait to see how many times he puts them in bad situations. 
Auburn wasn’t supposed to be in this game, but they were and it wasn’t because of great coaching calls. The game was laid out on a golden platter for the taking and we saw the coaching decisions that were made. Are those supposed to magically go away with a team full of 5 stars?

It stings, and I get it, but there are reasons to be optimistic as well:

1) This staff essentially met the consensus expectations just about every reasonable person had, with the exception of the NMSU debacle.  The showings against UGA and bama were within grasp, and the fact that we lost stings, but no one really expected it to be as tight as it was.  I'm not into moral victories, and we still lost, but were in the game.

2) CHF added significant talent to this years roster that Harsin decimated in just 2 years

3) CHF has won the teams support, they like him and play hard for him.

4) Putting together the best recruiting class we've had in a long time.

Am I content with this season and where we're at - nope, but after taking a few minutes following this game I choose to look towards the positives and support the team and staff rather than mope and wallow in defeat.  Another season and more calls to fire the coaching staff and start over, again.....

2 minutes ago, nthemix said:

the play calling inside the 10 on the last FG drive was expectedly horrendous … got to step on their throats when given the opportunity

The 3rd down run up the middle with a guy you already know is banged up was a bit puzzling. We were killing it off tackle, but I don’t remember us having too much success up the middle in a typical run down situation. Not sure what they should’ve called, but that felt like one where you may have had too much faith in your boys vs their boys lol

4 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

The 3rd down run up the middle with a guy you already know is banged up was a bit puzzling. We were killing it off tackle, but I don’t remember us having too much success up the middle in a typical run down situation. Not sure what they should’ve called, but that felt like one where you may have had too much faith in your boys vs their boys lol

U can add the decision of running a hurt JH  over Alston to the head scratching decisions. Alston was doing great

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Auburn Tiger said:

A field goal on the drive that was going into the 4th quarter and Thorne and company had all the momentum. Then Robbie in 1st and 10 from the Turds’ 23 goes for -7 yards. Result of the drive was a field goal from the 4yards line. The 4! A touchdown on that drive probably wins the game. 🤷‍♂️

Once again, that's on the coaches for going against what was working and getting cute by trotting out a QB whose only purpose is running the ball 95% of the time.

Common sense tells you to just let it rock until Thorne starts screwing up. 

• Like 1

I admire those who can remain optimistic after what we just witnessed. And type out the same ol same ol “future is bright and “we’re headed in the right direction “ Ive been seeing and hearing for a decade now. What on earth makes you so optimistic about Hugh Freeze??? What exactly is on his resume that makes you think he’s the guy to take us to new heights? At best he will take us to some heights we’ve achieved fleetingly over the last 25 years but I don’t see why all the optimism. Tonight was no moral victory. It was a complete blown opportunity to knock off the evil empire. And Im sick to death of moral victories anyway 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, GoAU said:

It stings, and I get it, but there are reasons to be optimistic as well:

1) This staff essentially met the consensus expectations just about every reasonable person had, with the exception of the NMSU debacle.  The showings against UGA and bama were within grasp, and the fact that we lost stings, but no one really expected it to be as tight as it was.  I'm not into moral victories, and we still lost, but were in the game.

2) CHF added significant talent to this years roster that Harsin decimated in just 2 years

3) CHF has won the teams support, they like him and play hard for him.

4) Putting together the best recruiting class we've had in a long time.

Am I content with this season and where we're at - nope, but after taking a few minutes following this game I choose to look towards the positives and support the team and staff rather than mope and wallow in defeat.  Another season and more calls to fire the coaching staff and start over, again.....

I wasn't positive about #3 after last week, because of the apparent lack of effort and the fact I don't have real-time intelligence from the athletics complex. But I assumed the team would not have played as hard today for the whole game if they did not have some bond and loyalty. Ironically, with Harsin's Alabama game the (some of the) team asserted they were unified around Harsin. Maybe that's as much a testament to the Auburn environment as the charisma and leadership of the coach. Regardless, it is important going forward when those recruits get on campus (vs the Jimbo experiment).

2 hours ago, Swamp Eagle said:

Guy, WE HAVE NO HORSES TO BE RACING WITH. There’s not a coaching staff in all of college football that can overcome our lack of talent. The guys fought hard, played well…right up to the point where the outcome was on the line. Couldn’t finish. Refused to take the game. Don’t know how to win. Time to load up on those who can.

Sooo, we have the talent to hang with the #1 team in the country and the #8 team (that's really top 5 imo), but we don't have the talent to make 2-3 additional plays...?

This is a large issue with the fan base. A lot of people act like Auburn is fielding Florida Atlantic level of talent on the field, when we're quite obviously top 20 in that regard to even be able to hang with multiple heavy hitters. 

• Like 1

So why wasn’t Scott out there to field it the punt?

why did we even field the punt?

why didn’t we have two receivers in the corner?

• Like 1

I agree that our leadership has been greatly lacking and talks of competing for NCs while hiring HC in training or HCs they feel they can be their puppet. 

Being 15 yards from the corner of the end zone where the WR caught the ball I was shocked James did not turn around and play the ball like he did all night after playing a great game. Just sucks. 

I’m pissed but all we can do is look forward.  How can any recruit on the sideline not be impressed with tonight’s environment? Bama has 5*s all over the roster and we had every opportunity to win and many outside the AL press will argue we should have won.  Regardless of should have, could have , would have the Auburn fans created a stellar environment like normal. Let’s see what Freeze does with this class. If we can hang on to the commits we have, flip Coleman, Willams and other 5*/4*s and sign them in December this IB environment played a role and gives me hope.  

War Eagle ! 

31 minutes ago, GoAU said:

No one is calling for them to fire Freeze, I keep seeing folks saying that but I think most know that they are not going to fire Freeze, but for me it just shows that he tends to be a passive coach, so a lot of folks are just questioning if he is going to get things turned around..maybe he will and maybe he won't. I hope he does since this is getting pretty old, same ole, same ole.

Here’s what I know: Bama is  loaded, we’re not (yet), and needed a miracle to beat us.

Imagine what 3 yrs from now looks like.

Edited by auburnatl1
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Didba said:

So why wasn’t Scott out there to field it the punt?

why did we even field the punt?

why didn’t we have two receivers in the corner?

That’s my question that wasn’t a Hail Mary it was a 50/50 . He didn’t have any help but dropped 9. That what I mean u give the qb too much time u asking for bad results. Every time I rushed Milroe he panicked so why make it easy on him 

I get the frustration but I promise y’all we’re going to be good. Really happy with the crowd and the scrap tonight. We just didn’t make plays at the end of the day. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, HabitualChiller said:

Sooo, we have the talent to hang with the #1 team in the country and the #8 team (that's really top 5 imo), but we don't have the talent to make 2-3 additional plays...?

This is a large issue with the fan base. A lot of people act like Auburn is fielding Florida Atlantic level of talent on the field, when we're quite obviously top 20 in that regard to even be able to hang with multiple heavy hitters. 

Exactly

1 hour ago, Headland Tiger said:

Has to be more than 2013. Is Auburn built on an ancient burial ground or something?

Truth.   This isn't the "JHS voodoo" we were looking for. 

Great game but a classic example of. “ snatching defeat from the jaws  of victory “. The DC should forfeit his salary for this one DA call  that cost Auburn a win.