Finebaum knows 🥶🚀

RunInRed

6 hours ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

Rat poison!! I’d rather we just flew under the radar! A dangerous Auburn starts getting hit pieces and bad publicity.

We get hit pieces and bad pub no matter what we do.  :gofig:

We like Finebaum now? It’s a rebuild . Y’all been preaching patience , so let’s be patient. Even next year with all the recruiting hype , I don’t see better than 7-5 unless we got a remarkable playmaker. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, aucom96 said:

Gus also padded his numbers with a lot of undersized projects that didn't really fit at any position, tight ends that never played and the QBs in the timeframe you mentioned were Gatewood (a bust) and Nix, who spent most of his time at Auburn running for his life due to lack of OL. 

Gus' best recruiting was for the side of the ball he didn't run and was pretty much FORCED to acknowledge when Muschamp was shoved into the picture. The talent gap we are dealing with is more due to Gus than anyone else. He thought his scheme had an answer for everything and it very much didn't. Harsin was the worst possible follow-up, because he thought his on the field coaching could make up for not recruiting at all. 

I guess you didn’t read what I was responding to. I’m not arguing that Gus was a success his last few years. The post I replied to said we wouldn’t be better off having 2 more years of Gus instead of 2 years of Harsin. If Gus had been retained instead and was fired last year, at least we’d have athletes to work with on the offensive side of the ball, and they would’ve fit more with freeze’s offense. The two years of Harsin were worse than if we’d had 2 more Gus years.

Also, lots of top rated QBs don’t pan out. That’s why you have to sign them as often as you can. Gatewood was a bust, but he was still had a high ceiling athletically. He just never reached it.

Edited by ScotsAU

59 minutes ago, DAG said:

We like Finebaum now? It’s a rebuild . Y’all been preaching patience , so let’s be patient. Even next year with all the recruiting hype , I don’t see better than 7-5 unless we got a remarkable playmaker. 

I guess we won’t really know till we see who is actually on the team.

2 hours ago, JDUBB4AU said:

Finebaum is after clicks. There is absolutely no merit to anything he says. He is a journalist. 

They’re all after “clicks”, or they’re quickly unemployed. That’s how ratings and capitalism works.  And nothing drives ratings more than being provocative - more so than just being an analyst. Unfortunately.

1 hour ago, DAG said:

Hayell NO we don't like Pawwl.  In order for AU to be competitive in the SEC, the recruiting effort needs to be top notch & continuous -- something that was missing from the last 2 HCs.  All y'all can argue which was "worse" but it doesn't really matter today.  Freeze appears to be different and maybe that's what Finebaum is picking up on.  I want AU to be competitive at home & also on the road in Athens, Tuscalooser & everywhere else.  Next year will tell if Freeze is on the right track.    

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ScotsAU said:

Not going to beat a dead horse. There’s plenty of post NMSU and iron bowl critiques of Hugh’s on the field product. But I think it’s more than just offensive play calling. I’ve said enough on that on this forum this week though.

What is most confusing about your ‘sudden change’ of heart with Freeze is the fact that you defended him after the NMSU loss, a loss, quite honestly, that should have never happened and now looks more like a lack of motivation of the players, yet you eviscerated and have written him off after damn near beating a team, quite honestly, that he  probably shouldn’t have been on the same field with talent-wise.  

You are absolutely entitled to think that, but it sure seems more of an emotional reaction to losing to Alabama than being based on your logical posts leading up to the Iron Bowl. 

Not a criticism, just an observation.

• Haha 1

Paul Finebaum is to college sports as Simon Cowell is to talent shows. He isn’t popular until he says something you like. Then he suddenly knows what he’s talking about. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, DAG said:

The schedule for next season is brutal...

We could improve and still end up with the same record.

If he keeps recruiting well, he deserves three seasons before he can be truly evaluated 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Swamp Eagle said:

What is most confusing about your ‘sudden change’ of heart with Freeze is the fact that you defended him after the NMSU loss, a loss, quite honestly, that should have never happened and now looks more like a lack of motivation of the players, yet you eviscerated and have written him off after damn near beating a team, quite honestly, that he  probably shouldn’t have been on the same field with talent-wise.  

You are absolutely entitled to think that, but it sure seems more of an emotional reaction to losing to Alabama than being based on your logical posts leading up to the Iron Bowl. 

Not a criticism, just an observation.

Yes. I’m reacting emotionally several days later. SMH. I do science for a living. I know how to separate emotion from formulates opinion. My opinion has changed. I’m not anti-freeze. I’m not writing him off. The fact we had coaching mishaps 2 weeks in a row that cost us the game has made my opinion shift. There was a reasonable explanation beyond coaching issues for why we could’ve sleep walked through NMSU. But the problems on Saturday were absolutely coaching failures. I now have concerns about on field coaching with this staff. Doesn’t mean we are heading for the dark ages. Doesn’t mean I don’t think freeze will lose an insane number of games. I’d thought he was the right coach to make us a power program again. Now I’m not so sure.

By the way, speaking of “changing opinions,” you first just accused me of being anti-freeze and said that I was just critiquing him because I never wanted him to begin with.  When others pointed out that I’d defended him last week, you shifted your story to “I’m just being emotional.” Occam’s razor: The simplest explanation is often the correct one. Here’s a simple explanation for you calling me out. You don’t like that I’m criticizing freeze’s coaching, and you’re trying to find any story you can to try to discredit me. 

Speaking of beating a dead horse… give it a freakin rest already. I’m trying to discuss Auburn football. You’re trying to start a fight. Back off.

Edited by ScotsAU

9 hours ago, VAtiger12 said:

The issue really is just how mind boggling it was that we hired a coach in Harsin who did not believe in NIL and was pretty 'meh' with the portal (probably also due to NIL) at a critical juncture in the college football landscape shift. Auburn has resources and a Coach that prioritized and supported those things would have still had us with B/B+ tier talent at a bare minimum in the SEC. 

Hiring Harsin was Allen Greene's way of thumbing his nose at the BOT. It wasn't Harsin's fault; he didn't have a clue what he was getting himself into when he signed on, and there really was no way for him to win.

Besides, the vast majority of his coaching career happened in Boise, where he is a favored son, and he undoubtedly thought all the talk about the SEC was overblown. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, AU9377 said:

If we are judging in the rear view mirror, Auburn would have been in a much better position had Gus coached 2 more seasons and then Hugh Freeze been hired.... not to mention $40 million richer.

I don't know that that is true. The one good thing about the Harsin tenure is that it got all the important people lined up in the same direction; I'm not sure that happens if Gus sticks around for another two seasons.

1 hour ago, ScotsAU said:

Yes. I’m reacting emotionally several days later. SMH. I do science for a living. I know how to separate emotion from formulates opinion. My opinion has changed. I’m not anti-freeze. I’m not writing him off. The fact we had coaching mishaps 2 weeks in a row that cost us the game has made my opinion shift. There was a reasonable explanation beyond coaching issues for why we could’ve sleep walked through NMSU. But the problems on Saturday were absolutely coaching failures. I now have concerns about on field coaching with this staff. Doesn’t mean we are heading for the dark ages. Doesn’t mean I don’t think freeze will lose an insane number of games. I’d thought he was the right coach to make us a power program again. Now I’m not so sure.

By the way, speaking of “changing opinions,” you first just accused me of being anti-freeze and said that I was just critiquing him because I never wanted him to begin with.  When others pointed out that I’d defended him last week, you shifted your story to “I’m just being emotional.” Occam’s razor: The simplest explanation is often the correct one. Here’s a simple explanation for you calling me out. You don’t like that I’m criticizing freeze’s coaching, and you’re trying to find any story you can to try to discredit me. 

Speaking of beating a dead horse… give it a freakin rest already. I’m trying to discuss Auburn football. You’re trying to start a fight. Back off.

Honestly, I really didn’t have any idea before the NMSU game that you were even on here, so, nothing personal or trying to call you out. Lighten up, Francis…I’ll try and remember that you’re one of the sensitive types going forward.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Rednilla said:

I don't know that that is true. The one good thing about the Harsin tenure is that it got all the important people lined up in the same direction; I'm not sure that happens if Gus sticks around for another two seasons.

When we are truly at rock bottom, what else are they to do? 

9 hours ago, JDUBB4AU said:

Finebaum is after clicks. There is absolutely no merit to anything he says. He is a journalist. 

LMAO...I think you paid him a compliment or maybe lowered the bar all the way down, calling him a journalist. Not sure if that is what I would call him, maybe more along the line of paparazzi, but he's no journalist...:)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Swamp Eagle said:

Honestly, I really didn’t have any idea before the NMSU game that you were even on here, so, nothing personal or trying to call you out. Lighten up, Francis…I’ll try and remember that you’re one of the sensitive types going forward.

Not sensitive. Just over it. Go away.

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, ScotsAU said:

I guess you didn’t read what I was responding to. I’m not arguing that Gus was a success his last few years. The post I replied to said we wouldn’t be better off having 2 more years of Gus instead of 2 years of Harsin. If Gus had been retained instead and was fired last year, at least we’d have athletes to work with on the offensive side of the ball, and they would’ve fit more with freeze’s offense. The two years of Harsin were worse than if we’d had 2 more Gus years.

Also, lots of top rated QBs don’t pan out. That’s why you have to sign them as often as you can. Gatewood was a bust, but he was still had a high ceiling athletically. He just never reached it.

Joey looked good as a tight end for Louisville vs Miami. He was just playing the wrong position at AU. Announcers commented there was NFL interest in him as a tight end. Who knew he was still playing?

12 minutes ago, TuscaloosaTiger said:

Joey looked good as a tight end for Louisville vs Miami. He was just playing the wrong position at AU. Announcers commented there was NFL interest in him as a tight end. Who knew he was still playing?

When you can’t start for your High School team, how are you supposed to be the “guy” in college?  You tell the kid that he will get a shot at Quarterback but if it doesn’t work out, he is moving to another position.   I believe he was a 4 star recruit and the reason Gus always had high recruiting rankings.   I remember all the receivers he signed one year and I don’t think any finished their career at AU.   Most didn’t even see the field.   

• Like 1

10 hours ago, AU9377 said:

When we are truly at rock bottom, what else are they to do? 

I think it took firing Gus for some of them to understand that we had already hit rock bottom and now we were starting to dig in deeper.

Finebaum is a great talk show host.

I'm unaware of any Auburn Athletic Dept. connection

He "knows" no more than anyone else. His opinions.

Respectfully

5 hours ago, TuscaloosaTiger said:

He's not a grand parent yet?

• Like 1

16 hours ago, ScotsAU said:

I believe the operative word in Occam’s razor is often which by its usage implies “should not be applied in every or even most cases. I’m sure there is a math version of this for the engineering types. Lol