JB and 3s

LPTiger

I love how hard JB plays on both ends of the court and how he has improved his FT shooting.   But, does there ever come a point when he should be told he is no longer allowed to take a 3?   It has been 8 games since he has made a 3.   He has attempted at least 1 in every one of the 8 games and is 0 for his last 15.   Obviously, when he takes a 3 he is only able to rebound the ball if it takes a long bounce.   And, I assume since he is attempting them in games, he is working on them at practice.  It seems that practice time might be better spent working on his inside scoring game.   Just my $.02. 

He’s came back to better place himself in the nba.  I doubt there an anything that will keep him from taking 1 or 2 a game.  He turned down a couple oppos this last game so it appears he’s self aware.  … but he’s probably going to take some every game come hell or high water 

Bruce probably wants him to take a couple to keep defense thinking about it.  I'm sure he would rather the situation warrant it and not look for the 3. 

JB has definitely taken his criticism in the draft combine and applied it to his game this year.  One thing I've noticed is how quick he attacks the rim the second he gets the entry pass.  Multiple times catching teams off guard and drawing "And 1" opportunities. Been very impressed this year. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, mustache eagle said:

He’s came back to better place himself in the nba.  I doubt there an anything that will keep him from taking 1 or 2 a game.  He turned down a couple oppos this last game so it appears he’s self aware.  … but he’s probably going to take some every game come hell or high water 

This. He's been told by scouts that the NBA wants 4s a d 5s that can hit 3s, and that's a big reason he came back. So he's going to continue to work on this because it's the weakest part of his game.

• Like 3

let em play coach!

Pigeonholing players into narrowly defined roles can sometimes make a team better in the short term. But the big downside of it is that it usually stifles individual growth and development. And a major consequence of that is it hurts the NBA draft stock of players. A lot of people don't like to hear it, but a major reason players choose a school is based on the coach's track record of sending players to the NBA. Forcing players into limited roles is definitely old school. But it places a ceiling on the caliber of talent you can attract to your program. I would take my chances with having NBA talent every year over a bunch of 3 star try hards who have a low ceiling anytime.

Edited by arktiger1975

I don’t mind him heaving a couple per game if opposing teams opt to leave him open. He’s shown he’s capable of hitting them. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, KansasTiger said:

This. He's been told by scouts that the NBA wants 4s a d 5s that can hit 3s, and that's a big reason he came back. So he's going to continue to work on this because it's the weakest part of his game.

Reasonable, but it only helps him in the draft if he hits a reasonable % of them. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, arktiger1975 said:

Pigeonholing players into narrowly defined roles can sometimes make a team better in the short term. But the big downside of it is that it usually stifles individual growth and development. And a major consequence of that is it hurts the NBA draft stock of players. A lot of people don't like to hear it, but a major reason players choose a school is based on the coach's track record of sending players to the NBA. Forcing players into limited roles is definitely old school. But it places a ceiling on the caliber of talent you can attract to your program. I would take my chances with having NBA talent every year over a bunch of 3 star try hards who have a low ceiling anytime.

I agree but as @Cardin Drake says it only helps your draft stock if you show you can hit them, right?  He is at 19% rn and the trend is 0 for his last 15.   Back him up another few feet at NBA range....   At the end of the day, I trust BP.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cole256 said:

He wants to go to the league, therefore he needs to show he will shoot the 3

Would you add to the end of your statement "and the ability to make it?"   RN he is putting on tape that he can't make them.   I guess he needs to keep trying hoping things will change...   But at some point, you are who your stats say you are.   0 for 15 isn't a huge sample size, but it also isn't negligible. 

52 minutes ago, LPTiger said:

Would you add to the end of your statement "and the ability to make it?"   RN he is putting on tape that he can't make them.   I guess he needs to keep trying hoping things will change...   But at some point, you are who your stats say you are.   0 for 15 isn't a huge sample size, but it also isn't negligible. 

It's not really all about the make, the worse thing is not shooting... They can't fix that. As long as he is shooting and his form looks ok thanks something they can work with. There's a bunch of guys in the NBA now that shoot that couldn't in college. Also a bunch of guys that couldn't shoot them in college and still can't.   As long as it's not excessive, and 15 isn't really enough to come to a conclusion he can't shoot. 

I was always taught whatever offensive rebound and steals I get were MY possessions. I'm sure he has some thought similar to that. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, cole256 said:

It's not really all about the make, the worse thing is not shooting... They can't fix that. As long as he is shooting and his form looks ok thanks something they can work with. There's a bunch of guys in the NBA now that shoot that couldn't in college. Also a bunch of guys that couldn't shoot them in college and still can't.   As long as it's not excessive, and 15 isn't really enough to come to a conclusion he can't shoot. 

I was always taught whatever offensive rebound and steals I get were MY possessions. I'm sure he has some thought similar to that. 

I hadn't thought of NBA coaches thinking they can fix it if the form looks good.  Makes good sense.   Appreciate it.  

My additional thoughts as an AU fan … if him shooting about 2 a game and making saaaaay 25% across the season is the teams “price” for having him return this season - and consequently be a better version of himself than last year - I’ll take it.  It will also give 2nd round guys in the future an Auburn example of coming back and improving.

• Like 4