Way too early look at next season

Win4AU

How will year 2 look under Freeze?  

I think Hugh will need to get to 8 wins to keep the fan base satisfied.  Auburn will probably need to upset Mizzou, Kentucky, UGA, or Bama on the road to make that happen.  Home games against TaMu and Oklahoma will be tough.  

Another top 10 recruiting class is in the works.  Unfortunately it’ll be 2-3 years before Auburn reps the benefits of these classes.  

Even if Auburn pulls another good portal class I think best case is 9 wins.  Auburn will still lack quality depth, as we saw yesterday, that is needed to compete at the top level of college football.  

5 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

think Hugh will need to get to 8 wins to keep the fan base satisfied.  Auburn will probably need to upset Mizzou, Kentucky, UGA, or Bama on the road to make that happen.  Home games against TaMu and Oklahoma will be tough

There is a near zero chance that will happen. 

We don't have quality SEC ready players at the following positions.

QB, WR, LT, RT, one Guard Spot DT, NT (unless Rogers returns), EDGE, and possibly one safety spot

• Like 4
  • Facepalm 1

That said I think 25 forward is when the light starts coming on and we see true tangible improvements 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

There is a near zero chance that will happen. 

We don't have quality SEC ready players at the following positions.

QB, WR, LT, RT, one Guard Spot DT, NT (unless Rogers returns), EDGE, and possibly one safety spot

This team could have easily had 8 wins.

• Like 7

1 minute ago, TexasTiger said:

My calculus is that a team with less talent won 6 games. Therefore, one more win should be expected.

Edited by AUwent

12 minutes ago, AUwent said:

My calculus is that a team with less talent won 6 games. Therefore, one more win should be expected.

Talented inexperienced freshman doesn't always mean better

14 minutes ago, TexasTiger said:

Okay.....what about next year?

We could have easily lost to cal too

• Like 1

Unless we really score big in the portal, I’m guessing another 6-6 season. That factors in some tough road games with more stable SEC programs we traditionally should beat and doesn’t count for the head-scratching blowouts like we saw fro Freeze this year. We could go as high as 8 wins and as low as 5.

2 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Sure. Many games are close, but to say “near zero chance,” ignores that .

Next year— should win at least 7 in regular season, can see 8, and possibly win the bowl game, if we prepare for it.

4 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Auburn beat Cal in spite of their best efforts to give Cal the win.  

I hope people don’t automatically assume a win next year because it’s at Jordan Hare.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Everybody excited about these freshmen wideouts.  It’s great Auburn got them but I would still assume a huge learning curve in year 1 to delay their impact.  Not to mention they’ll be playing against grown men instead of a 5’5” guy from Wedowee that runs a 5.2 40.    I bet we lose 1 or 2 of them to the portal at years end.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, TexasTiger said:

Not according to their head coach, according to him they just aren’t that talented and the invisible ceiling was set low.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, TexasTiger said:

Sure. Many games are close, but to say “near zero chance,” ignores that .

Next year— should win at least 7 in regular season, can see 8, and possibly win the bowl game, if we prepare for it.

Why?

We'll be underdogs in 6 games. Heavy dogs in at least 4. Hugh notoriously has 1-2 awful losses.

We are going to be worse on the DL and DB next year. 

3 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

Everybody excited about these freshmen wideouts.  It’s great Auburn got them but I would still assume a huge learning curve in year 1 to delay their impact.  Not to mention they’ll be playing against grown men instead of a 5’5” guy from Wedowee that runs a 5.2 40.    I bet we lose 1 or 2 of them to the portal at years end.

Right.  I love our high school class. But the expectations of like 7-9 TrFr to be heavy contributors on a good team seems unrealistic. 

They are going to have growing pains. We'll be better for it in 25-26

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Why?

We'll be underdogs in 6 games. Heavy dogs in at least 4. Hugh notoriously has 1-2 awful losses.

We are going to be worse on the DL and DB next year. 

We’ll see. Too many unknowns at this point for me to issue “near zero chance” of 8 wins, even if we don’t hit eight wins. I suspect a statistician would give us a better chance than that, even if predicting 6 wins.

21 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

Auburn beat Cal in spite of their best efforts to give Cal the win.  

I hope people don’t automatically assume a win next year because it’s at Jordan Hare.

I never automatically assume a win or loss. Which is why I don’t agree with “near zero chance.”

30 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Correct , it would be best to not factor freshman into improving a team until they have atleast a year of experience. JUCOs that come in could help sooner if they get here early.

4 minutes ago, TexasTiger said:

We’ll see. Too many unknowns at this point for me to issue “near zero chance” of 8 wins, even if we don’t hit eight wins. I suspect a statistician would give us a better chance than that, even if predicting 6 wins.

Two upsets at a 30% chance each is 15%.

So our chance at exceeding 6 wins to 8 would be 15%. Glad it isn't near zero, but have confidence in those odds if you want

2 minutes ago, JDUBB4AU said:

Im not ready to be hurt again. 10 years of failure. My therapist says AU football is a cancer. 

"10"...we've only actually been bad since the pandemic.

Edited by AUwent