1.4.24 Football Articles

247sports.com

Mississippi State OT transfer Percy Lewis to visit Auburn this week

Nathan King

~3 minutes

Lewis started seven games this season at left tackle

As Auburn resets its offensive line transfer board after the end of the 2023 season, it will bring an SEC starter to campus later this week.

Mississippi State offensive tackle Percy Lewis will visit Auburn on Thursday, Auburn Undercover was informed, as the Tigers add to a busy week of transfer visitors from Wednesday through Sunday.

A mammoth of an athlete at 6-foot-8 and 345 pounds, Lewis started the final seven games of this season for Mississippi State at left tackle, and much like Auburn did this season at a couple O-line spots, he appeared in the previous five games, too, while splitting time at left tackle with Kwatrivous Johnson.

According to Pro Football Focus, Lewis allowed only one sack all season on 235 pass-blocking snaps.

Lewis was rated as the No. 5 JUCO player in the 2021 class from Mississippi Gulf Coast Community College, where he played two seasons. He has one season of eligibility remaining at his next stop.

Lewis is on a visit to Arkansas on Wednesday and will go to Ole Miss on Friday — and a visit to South Carolina could also be in the works, Auburn Undercover was told.

The Tigers are looking to add at least one offensive lineman through the portal, as they lose two starters: guards Gunner Britton and Kam Stutts. Left tackle Dillon Wade is expected to move inside to guard, thus Auburn and position coach Jake Thornton have targeted transfer offensive tackles to compete for that vacant spot.

Texas A&M transfer DT Isaiah Raikes visiting Auburn

Auburn is looking to beef up its interior defensive front through the portal

As Auburn looks to bolster its defensive line after Marcus Harris' departure, the Tigers are hosting Texas A&M defensive tackle Isaiah Raikes on a visit Wednesday, Auburn Undercover has learned.

A rising fifth-year senior from New Jersey, Raikes has appeared in 38 games over the last four seasons, with four starts. He's tallied 43 career tackles, with three tackles for loss, one sack and a forced fumble this season.

At 6-foot-2 and 320 pounds, Raikes split his snaps almost 50-50 between nose tackle and 3-tech defensive tackle.

Auburn already has one defensive tackle transfer signed in Kansas' Gage Keys.

After a first team All-SEC season — and three years as a starter — Harris departed for the NFL draft. Auburn is also awaiting an NFL decision from starting nose tackle Justin Rogers.

si.com

Can Auburn make a push at Ryan Williams with his primary recruiter and position coach at Alabama heading to Texas A&M?

Andrew Stefaniak
~2 minutes

Does Holmon Wiggins leaving Alabama give Auburn a better shot at Ryan Williams?

It has been reported that Alabama wide receivers coach Holmon Wiggins is leaving the Crimson Tide to take the same position at Texas A&M. 

The relevance of this situation for the Auburn Tigers has to do with five-star receiver Ryan Williams. 

Williams has been committed to Alabama since October of 2022, but the Auburn Tigers are trying to make a late push after one of the best players in the 2024 class. 

He is currently preparing to participate in the Under Armour All-American Game with Auburn receiver signees Cam Coleman and Perry Thompson, so his mind is likely on this game and not his college decision. 

But when the dust clears from the All-American game Wiggins leaving for Texas A&M could have an effect on the recruitment of Williams and definitely helps the Auburn Tigers some.

Williams will be on the Plains for a visit February 3rd so Coach Freeze and the staff will have another opportunity to try and land a player who many believe could be a first-round pick in the NFL Draft in the future. 

If Auburn was able to flip Williams from the Crimson Tide the Tigers wide receiver class would be on of the best in college football history. 

Perry Thompson posted this tweet right after it was announced Higgins would head to College Station. 

saturdaydownsouth.com

Auburn football: New Year’s resolutions the Tigers must make to break losing skid

Glenn Sattell | 23 hours ago

5–6 minutes

Hugh Freeze came within a miracle play at the end of the Iron Bowl of recording a signature win in his debut season at Auburn. Instead, the Tigers settled for a 6-6 regular season and a return to the postseason after a year absence that broke a streak of 9 consecutive bowl game appearances.

No, the Music City Bowl didn’t go well; Auburn fell 31-13 to Maryland to finish with its 3rd consecutive losing season — the first time that happened since 1975-77.

Freeze will seek to reverse that trend next year. Here are the New Year’s resolutions for Auburn as we look ahead to the 2024 season.

1. Improve the QB room

Though prior to the Music City Bowl, Freeze had indicated that he was satisfied with his QB room, but that tune changed following the loss to Maryland. And Freeze has already made one move in that regard, plucking former Cal QB Sam Jackson V. In a 14-10 loss to Auburn early last season, Jackson threw for 126 yards, completing 14-of-27 passes with 2 interceptions. The sophomore played in 5 games last season for the Bears, throwing for 556 yards and 5 TDs. Quarterback is a position that Freeze must upgrade if the Tigers are to be competitive in 2024.

2. Replenish the WR corps

Four receivers are in the transfer portal, including Ja’Varrius Johnson, the Tigers’ 2nd-leading receiver. Leading receivers Rivaldo Fairweather and Jay Fair remain and that’s where Freeze will again lean heading into the 2024 season. The pair combined for 649 yards and 8 TDs on 63 receptions. (Johnson finished with 347 yards and 3 TDs.) But Freeze was proactive in recruiting to replenish the WR corps, flipping 5-star receivers Cam Coleman and Perry Thompson from Texas A&M and Alabama, respectively.

3. Put together a d-line

Senior tackle Marcus Harris will be tough to replace, and players like Keldric Faulk, who had a sensational freshman season last year, must continue to grow up in a hurry. The Tigers got a lift when they flipped 4-star d-linemen Jamonta Waller and Amaris Williams from Florida.

4. Highlight the freshman class

Freeze’s impact was felt with his recent first signing class, Auburn’s best in years. The haul ranked 7th nationally and was highlighted by a handful of flips, including 5-star LB Demarcus Riddick, a former Georgia commit.

With 2 5-stars, both receivers, and another 13 4-stars, it was an excellent start to the Freeze era and hopefully just the beginning to the building of the program. Using the talent for immediate impact would help entice future recruits as well as enhancing the overall team strength.

5. Feature the run game with Jarquez Hunter

Hunter led the Tigers with 159 rushing attempts last season. But he barely carried it more than quarterback Payton Thorne (134). Backup QB Robbie Ashford also had 46 carries. With Ashford in the transfer portal, as well as backup RB Brian Battie, it’s time to highlight Hunter and give him the bulk of Ashford’s attempts from last season.

That’s not to say there aren’t any other talented running backs on the roster. Damari Alston ran for 320 yards and 2 TDs. Freeze has the horses to put together another solid running game. The Tigers were 3rd in the SEC last season, averaging 198.42 yards per game.

6. Rebuild the corners

Another area Freeze and his staff must revamp is at cornerback. Both corners, D.J. James and Nehemiah Pritchett, are headed to the NFL while a trio of freshmen, led by Kayin Lee, vie for one starting spot in 2024. They will be among those looking to lift the Tigers secondary, which ranked 8th in the SEC against the pass, yielding an average of 222.2 yards per game.

7. Split 4 conference road games

This could actually be a bigger task than going undefeated at home. Winning on the road in the SEC is as tough as it gets. After starting the season with 5 home games, the Tigers hit the road for 3 consecutive conference road games. They include trips to Georgia, Missouri and Kentucky in succession. Then later on down the road, the Iron Bowl in Tuscaloosa closes the season. A split of those 4 games would be quite an accomplishment for any team.

8. 8 wins in 2024

Obviously, you want to win them all, but a 2-game improvement over the 6-6 regular season would be a nice step in the right direction. With all 4 nonconference games at Jordan-Hare against inferior opponents Alabama A&M, California, New Mexico and UL-Monroe, if their heads are screwed on correctly, they should be halfway there. Splitting the 8-game conference schedule would give the Tigers an 8-win season and a continued upward trend for the program. That likely means beating Kentucky or Missouri on the road.

Glenn Sattell

Glenn Sattell is an award-winning freelance writer for Saturday Down South.

247sports.com

Texas AM transfer DT Isaiah Raikes visiting Auburn

Nathan King

~2 minutes

Auburn is looking to beef up its interior defensive front through the portal

As Auburn looks to bolster its defensive line after Marcus Harris' departure, the Tigers are hosting Texas A&M defensive tackle Isaiah Raikes on a visit Wednesday, Auburn Undercover has learned.

A rising fifth-year senior from New Jersey, Raikes has appeared in 38 games over the last four seasons, with four starts. He's tallied 43 career tackles, with three tackles for loss, one sack and a forced fumble this season.

At 6-foot-2 and 320 pounds, Raikes split his snaps almost 50-50 between nose tackle and 3-tech defensive tackle.

Auburn already has one defensive tackle transfer signed in Kansas' Gage Keys.

After a first team All-SEC season — and three years as a starter — Harris departed for the NFL draft. Auburn is also awaiting an NFL decision from starting nose tackle Justin Rogers.

Faustin 'ready to compete' in All-American Bowl before heading to Auburn

Auburn signee Kensley Faustin is playing in the All-American Bowl this week.

SAN ANTONIO, Texas—In just over a week, Auburn defensive back signee Kensley Faustin will officially move into his dorm room on the Plains to begin his career with the Tigers. First up is his final game of high school football as he takes part in the All-American Bowl in San Antonio along with future teammates Demarcus Riddick, Amaris Williams, Walker White and DeAndre Carter.

To read this full article and more, subscribe now —

SALE: One Month for Only $1

Auburn's Fairweather already looking ahead to 2024 after record-breaking season in 2023

Published: Jan. 03, 2024, 7:00 a.m.
5–6 minutes

The impacts of FIU transfer tight end Rivaldo Fairweather weren’t immediately seen by the public.

In Week 1 of Auburn’s 2023 season, Fairweather slipped on an Auburn jersey for the time as the Tigers hosted UMass.

But because Auburn’s rush attack had its way with UMass, the services of Fairweather weren’t needed.

However, that quickly changed as the Tigers looked to Fairweather the very next week as Auburn squeaked out a 14-10 win over Cal in a funky, late-night game out on the west coast.

Fairweather caught three passes that evening in Berkeley, Calif., of which two came at critical, critical moments – first a third-down grab in the fourth quarter to keep the Tigers’ scoring drive alive and then again with a 5-yard touchdown reception to put Auburn ahead for good midway through the final quarter.

Initially, the plan was to try to punch it in via the run game. But Auburn head coach Hugh Freeze decided otherwise right as the huddle was breaking out of a timeout.

“Nah, let’s go 13 and give Rivaldo a chance here,” Freeze remembered saying. “I had just seen Rivaldo do that too many times in practice. The last thing was I told Payton, ‘Just make sure it’s catchable, and he’ll make a play.’ And he did.”

Fairweather’s breakout performance against the Golden Bears on Sept. 9 might’ve been his first in his Auburn career, but it was far from his last.

The very next week, albeit against Samford, Fairweather hauled in season-best five passes.

However, coming from Conference USA member FIU, no one knew if Auburn’s transfer tight end would be able to hang with the best of them in the SEC.

“I’m ready to show everybody out there that I can do it versus anybody,” Fairweather told reporters heading into SEC play.

Unfortunately for Fairweather, he’d have to wait a bit as Auburn’s passing game floundered and the Tigers suffered a four-game skid as they navigated a gauntlet-of-a-stretch of games featuring Texas A&M, Georgia, LSU and Ole Miss.

Through that stretch, Fairweather combined for 13 receptions, 88 yards and just one score.

Come the point in the season Auburn’s schedule softened some and the Tigers’ passing offense began to find its footing a bit more, Fairweather took hold of the opportunity.

Against Vanderbilt on Nov. 4, Fairweather racked up the most yardage of any game in 2023 with two receptions for 62 yards and a touchdown.

On Nov. 11, Fairweather assisted in Auburn’s onslaught at Arkansas as he notched his first multi-touchdown game against the Razorbacks as he caught three passes for 28 yards and two touchdowns.

“I proved that I could do it in the SEC,” Fairweather said Saturday night after Auburn’s season-ending loss to Maryland. “Even coming from Conference USA, I proved that I could play in this league and I proved that I’m one of the best tight ends in the league.”

In Year 1 on The Plains, Fairweather finished the season with 38 receptions for 394 yards and six touchdowns – all numbers that led Auburn’s room of pass catchers and make him the SEC’s third-leading receiving tight end.

In the final game of the 2023 season, Fairweather also etched his way into Auburn’s record books.

With his first reception against the Terrapins in Saturday’s Music City Bowl, Fairweather broke John Samuel Shenker’s 2021 record of 33 receptions in one season.

“I wish we would have come out of here with a win,” Fairweather said after Auburn’s 31-13 loss to Maryland. “I want to thank God for allowing me to play this game and be a part of Auburn history. I’m going to put my head down and work the whole offseason and be ready for the first game next year.”

Now having proved himself in SEC play, the 6-foot-4 tight end could’ve flirted with the NFL and the league could’ve flirted right back.

But Fairweather’s not interested.

“I just felt like I left a lot of food on the table. It’s unfinished business here,” Fairweather said when asked about his decision to return to Auburn in 2024. “I know Coach Freeze has a great plan for us here and that we will be way better than we were last year. Last year was just the first step and this year I feel like we’re going to take a second step.”

And for Fairweather, personally, he’s hoping that second step starts now.

“Coming next season I’m (going to) come back 10 times harder to be the best tight end in the nation,” Fairweather said. “That’s my mindset going in this offseason. I’m going to have a heck of an offseason.”

If you purchase a product or register for an account through a link on our site, we may receive compensation. By using this site, you consent to our User Agreement and agree that your clicks, interactions, and personal information may be collected, recorded, and/or stored by us and social media and other third-party partners in accordance with our Privacy Policy.

al.com

Auburn DB Jaylin Simpson makes it official, declares for the 2024 NFL Draft

Updated: Jan. 03, 2024, 11:29 a.m.|Published: Jan. 03, 2024, 11:29 a.m.

2–3 minutes

Auburn Football

Jaylin Simpson: ‘As I set my sights on the 2024 NFL Draft, I carry the Auburn spirit with me’

After five years on The Plains, Auburn defensive back Jaylin Simpson is officially heading to the 2024 NFL Draft, he announced on social media Wednesday morning.

“Auburn has been more than a university to me; it’s been a home,” Simpson wrote in a penned farewell posted to his Instagram account. “The friendships, the lessons, the victories, and even the challenges have all contributed to an experience that I will forever cherish.

“As I set my sights on the 2024 NFL Draft, I carry the Auburn spirit with me. To my teammates, coaches and the entire Auburn community — thank you for making these years truly special. Here’s to the memories made and the ones yet to come. War Eagle forever!”

Simpson accepted his invite to the 2024 Reese’s Senior Bowl on Dec. 6, pointing to the likelihood of him foregoing his final year of eligibility and turning pro. But now his decision is cemented.

Simpson’s decision to turn to the big leagues comes on the heels of a 2023 campaign at the safety position, which saw him tally 36 tackles and four interceptions and four pass breakups — an effort that helped him to an impressive 78.3 season grade, per Pro Football Focus.

According to PFF, Simpson allowed one touchdown in coverage all season on 25 targets.

ESPN, the Associated Press, CBS Sports, Pro Football Focus, Fox Sports, USA Today, Sporting News, The Athletic, 247 Sports and the Reese’s Senior Bowl all had Simpson as one of their midseason All-Americans.

ESPN’s Mel Kiper ranks Simpson as the fourth-best safety in the approaching NFL Draft.

If you purchase a product or register for an account through a link on our site, we may receive compensation. By using this site, you consent to our User Agreement and agree that your clicks, interactions, and personal information may be collected, recorded, and/or stored by us and social media and other third-party partners in accordance with our Privacy Policy.

Good morning from cold but sunny Plains Fiddy. Thanks, about ridden this past year into the ground. Time to enjoy a little basketball and get ready for baseball. 

• Like 2