1.14.24 Football Articles

247sports.com

Wesley McGriff to remain on Auburn coaching staff

Nathan King

3–4 minutes

'Crime Dog' McGriff will not be leaving Auburn after all

After a series of twists and turns since he returned to Auburn last year, Wesley McGriff will ultimately remain on the Plains for the 2024 season.

"Crime Dog" McGriff will not be leaving Auburn after all and is set to return to his post on Hugh Freeze's on-field assistant staff as a defensive backs coach, Auburn Undercover confirmed Friday afternoon.

Last month, after Auburn hired Colorado defensive coordinator Charles Kelly to its staff, McGriff left for an assistant job coaching under Mike Elko at Texas A&M as DB coach and passing game coordinator. The hire was announced by Texas A&M, but Auburn Undercover was informed McGriff had yet to sign the contract.

McGriff was hired by Freeze last offseason, after the two worked together previously at Ole Miss. McGriff thus began his third career coaching stint at Auburn, having also been on staff in 2016 and 2019-20. He coached the Tigers' cornerbacks, while Zac Etheridge handled safeties and nickels.

Etheridge resigned from the coaching staff Friday, and McGriff will coach defensive backs in 2024 with Kelly.

In late October, McGriff moved off the field due to a "personal issue," according to Freeze at the time. McGriff's title was "chief of accountability and in-house recruiting," and he remained on staff throughout the season.

Last week, defensive coordinator Ron Roberts took a job as an assistant coach at Florida, as the Tigers are now working to replace both coordinators.

• Like 1

one article and no pods. i did add some bruce and basketball stuff late last night and this  morning.

1 hour ago, aubiefifty said:

one article and no pods. i did add some bruce and basketball stuff late last night and this  morning.

Good cold but beautiful morning from the Plains Fiddy. Enjoyed the Basketball last evening and know Crime is back. Glad for it.

Any idea when you will go back to other pic?

9 minutes ago, SaltyTiger said:

Good cold but beautiful morning from the Plains Fiddy. Enjoyed the Basketball last evening and know Crime is back. Glad for it.

Any idea when you will go back to other pic?

i went back to the stoned aubie pic. it seems daffy confused folks.........kin of like me. also i thought our guys were gonna mess around and give the game away but we prevailed. i need to watch some women basketball.

for the record this is the first time ever i have found no new football news. there is normally something.