Looks like Georgia got the better end of the deal

A couple of years ago, Mike White, knowing he was about to get fired, took a job at Georgia that was a clear step down from his current position. Many, including me, laughed at Georgia, believing that they had hired a retread. As recently as a week or two ago, I read where a national basketball analyst mention what a mediocre hire that had been. Meanwhile, Florida hired a hot young coach in Todd Golden. Fast forward a couple of years, and White has the Bulldogs playing surprisingly well. Down in Gainesville, the Gators under Golden are currently an absolute train wreck. White has been much better than expected so far, and quite frankly, Golden looks like a bust so far. Who would have predicted before the season that Florida, not Georgia, might be the ones playing in "March Sadness" on the dreaded Wednesday games in the SEC tournament?

Edited by arktiger1975

Florida has had a rough go of it in the major sports. Napier is not exactly re-creating the Gator wonder years of the past. (I never wanted to hire him and am so glad we did not!)

And the basketball team has been middle-of-the-pack for awhile now. Certainly way far from the glory days of championship contention.

I don't follow baseball, but I seem to remember a couple of years ago they were concensus #1 entering the season and fell flat on their face during SEC play. I don't know how they've done since.

They are still very good in gymnastics, I guess. But overall, their athletics program is not what it us to be. (Their academic decline is also concerning, but that's a different issue.)

• Like 1