FYI: Nortons Firewall Users

DKW 86

There is evidently a virus out there that basically disables all updates from Norton's.

I have just rebuilt my box at home and had to manually run updates 3-4 times before I got all my updates complete.

This is a Beyotch virus, do not take it lightly.

The mechanism attacks the permissions on Internet Access and denies you the ablility to load updates. You will not see the denial though!!!!!!

YOU MUST DISABLE THE FIREWALL COMPLETELY.

THEN RUN UPDATES AGAIN AFTER THE FIREWALL IS DISABLED.

You will likely then find that you will have to run updates several times to get all the updates you have missed. Even if you see the update notice in the screen bottom, you will not get them!!!!!!

Please try this on your own and see for yourself.

Software firewalls are crap. Get a router if only for the firewall protection.

Also, Norton Firewall is nortoriously bad. They might make a decent antivirus, but not firewalls.

Personally, I have a Linksys router and AVG Antivirus. Havne't had a thing touch me since I've had AVG and no worms since the router (years).

Software firewalls are crap. Get a router if only for the firewall protection.

Also, Norton Firewall is nortoriously bad. They might make a decent antivirus, but not firewalls.

Personally, I have a Linksys router and AVG Antivirus. Havne't had a thing touch me since I've had AVG and no worms since the router (years).

177786[/snapback]

No offense, but this is not exactly true. Software firewalls are a good thing - if you're running in a home network environment, you definitely need a software firewall along with your router.

Not a big fan of Norton's firewall - or Zone Alarm (their latest firewall is a whopping 9 MB's). I use Sygate myself, but you definitely need to be running some kind of firewall, even with a hard firewall.

Also, AVG historically has tested poorly when compared to other A/V programs. See the ratings at http://www.virusbtn.com - AVG's later versions score better, but they don't have much of a track record. Still, GREAT for a free program, but I'll take Symantec's A/V over them anyday.

Archived